Thread: Snow Load
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 05:26 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
The next time I see a dealership removing snow from ANY RV roof will be the FIRST time I've seen it. It simply doesn't happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Let me know the next time you get appreciable snow in Memphis! LOL
A few things to consider:

Dealerships don't get trailers "on consignment". They buy them wholesale with money loaned by banks or other financial arrangements. If a dealership "loses" a trailer due to fire, flood, snow, theft, etc, they file through their insurance to cover the losses and order a replacement trailer from Keystone at the "regular wholesale price". Keystone is "done with the trailer" as soon as it's picked up at the transportation lot by a contractor who works for the dealership. Keystone doesn't provide transportation to the dealer's lot and they don't have any financial responsibility after the trailer leaves Goshen. So, there's no "dealer assistance from Keystone" if a trailer is destroyed on the dealership lot....

Average annual snowfall:
202"+ Houghton, MI
149"+ Marguette, MI
136"+ Gaylord, MI
118"+ Traverse City, MI
111"+ Petoskey, MI

All have RV dealerships and none of them have a "snow removal program" for RV's sitting on the lot.

We spent about half of last "early spring" in Millington at the Navy FamCamp. Nice place to visit, even in March/April. I remember one "ice storm" (actually a line of thunderstorms with a "hard freeze immediately after"... That was in the mid '80's. Having just left the UP on our way home (Louisiana) for Christmas, we "holed up early" in a motel halfway between Nashville and Memphis. When the sun came up, the interstate (I-40) was "littered with casualties"... There must have been over 100 cars, trucks, 18 wheelers of all shapes and sizes in the ditches, the median, on top of each other and generally blocking the road to all traffic. I walked to the local 7-11, bought a sack full of Stewart sandwiches, moon pies, orange juice and 2 cups of coffee. The 4 of us (DW, DD, DS and I) checked out of the motel after 2 days and carefully "threaded the carnage on the interstate" through Memphis. It wasn't until we got to near Jackson, MS that the scenery started to look "normal without wrecks"....

Around here, it's not uncommon to see RV's parked in yards and set up on "summer lots" with 3-4 feet of snow accumulation. If these aren't damaged, I doubt many will suffer serious damage from the snow. A "well intentioned owner" on the other hand, armed with a plastic snow shovel or a roof snow scoop, well that can lead to loads of damage, ranging from broken vent covers, air conditioner shrouds, cut TPO roofing, broken TV antennas and flooded RV's from the melting snow entering through all of those damaged parts as the weather warms in the spring.....

If it were me and my RV was parked outside, I'd leave the roof alone, if there is a problem with accumulation more than 3 or 4 feet, I'd pull off the top layers (staying well clear of the plastics on the roof) and if there's any damage in the spring, that's why I have insurance (not warranty)....

Honestly, on RV's built before the new RVIA tire standards, I'd be more concerned with overloading the tires and axles than with "crushing the roof".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote