Thread: Electric Trucks
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #10
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
IMHO the pure electric car/truck right now, is a city commuting grocery getter at best. We, of any practically educated group, know a few things about batteries. The big issue is the charge time needed to to bring the batteries back from a depleted state. (No, Danny, I'm not talking about California
Any thought about just pulling up to a charge station and refilling the battery is beyond the "current" reality. It takes hours, not minutes to recharge an electric car. Certainly not practical for our needs.
Locally, our University, tried electric busses that received an inductive charge at multiple stops along the route. Way too much money required for the charging station infrastructure to make it practical. Plus, they'd have to buy all new busses and the route wouldn't cover 10% of the service area.
I'm visualizing a completely different solution. Anyone remember the old bumper cars at the carnival?? It'd take a lot of chicken wire, but I'd bet we could cover all the major interstates by the year 2050
If we cover all of the roads with chicken wire will the chicken still cross them? And if the wire is energized I guess the answer to "why did he cross the road?" would be, "he didn't". He got "fried". But that was going to happen anyway.
Hey, that brings up another neat thing you can do with an electric vehicle,cooking..
"Fresh roadkill" would be a reality. But I guess you would have to decide if you want to sacrifice miles for meals (limited battery power).
No thanks, I'll stick with the diesel for now.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote