View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 03:02 PM   #49
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge2 View Post

Generally speaking can someone educate me on how widespread this is in the industry and how the manufacturers are getting away with it...?
Thanks
Sarge
This is my opinion, not a "peer reviewed policy" regarding the entire RV industry. IMHO, all the major manufacturers are "highly competitive" and they all "use the same industry standards" when building competitive models.

That said, you can buy "ultra-lite RV's" that are, for the most part, built along the same industry standards.

You can buy "medium lite RV's" that are a bit different, heavier and for the most part, are built along an "upgraded industry standard"

You can buy "heavy RV's" that are sturdier, built with solid floors, improved techniques, some better quality equipment, more optional items included as standard build items" and, in some models/brands, improved customer service, warranty support and personalized service.

You're not going to find an "entry level" (AKA CHEAP) RV with all the upgraded build items, a "we'll fix it for you at the factory" concept and things like "factory supported rallies where the factory sends a repair team to offer support to owners, etc...

At Keystone, there's no "annual rally for buyers" (except the Montana rally). They choose to market their trailers about $5000 less than Grand Design models that are similar in build. IMHO, the Cougar and the Solitude are similar in build quality. The difference: With Cougar, you have to fight Keystone to get it fixed while with the Solitude, GD offers an "improved repair under warranty" concept.

It's taken me about 30 years to come to the conclusion that those two trailers are similar in build, and, for some people it's worth the extra cost to have the warranty, for some people, the cheaper price of the Cougar makes it more attractive....

Just as "years ago, you could buy a Buick or a Pontiac and get luxury" or you could "buy a Chevrolet and get the basics"...

In the RV world, if you do your homework, you can find the subtle differences between manufacturers. As I said, it took me about 30 years to comprehend those subtle differences.... Maybe I'm just slow or maybe those differences are so subtle that the novice simply "won't ever get it"....

To me, it's not worth the effort to try to educate someone about the "what's the difference between Keystone, Forest River, Grand Design and Winnebago" when the conversation "ALWAYS" winds up in the weeds with an argument about "well, they should....."... Trust me when I say, "THEY" (the manufacturers) are dug in, ain't gonna change in the near future and nothing we "wring our hands and wish for" is going to make any difference in their bottom line.....

So, it boils down to a simple choice: Buy an RV you like or save your money for some other venture and the guy standing behind you will buy the one you turned down. There's no "loss" to Keystone, FR or GD by your walking away....

Cold hearted Keystone??? Not really, they don't need you to buy anything, someone else will buy their "junk" or their "good model" (depending on how you feel about it) as fast as they can push them out the door.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote