View Single Post
Old 11-04-2019, 08:42 AM   #42
danf

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post

The 2018 we have was to replace a 2007 Keystone where the floor had rotted out, and it was they same system as is now being used. I replaced the whole bedroom area and it looked good, and was an improvement but it was easy to see that the rot was creeping and more significant than just the bedroom area and though I though it would be good for 5 more years I

How did you fix it? I've been thinking for a while about how to fix these floors when you have to replace the entire floor.

I'm currently thinking about only having a bottom layer in the wheel well areas. As far as I can tell, you have to :

- shim 1/4" between the trailer frame and floor frame to replace the rotted bottom layer of wood.

- possibly shim 1/4" along the exterior walls depending on how the outside walls are attached to the floor.
- deal with floor elevation due to slideouts. Either you have to use a 1/4" top layer or you might get away with something thicker depending on how much room you have on the slideout's top seal. You might be able to get away with up to a 3/4" top layer, but that would change the dynamics of the top seal. That means the slideout would sit 1/2" higher and one would likely have to move the cables.

- possibly deal with interior wall height if you use something thicker for a top layer. This is probably not a huge problem.

- deal with floor to ceiling wall cabinet height. These could be trimmed of just use 1/4 under these cabinets.

I've thought about 1/4 steel or aluminum or up to 3/4" marine grade plywood as a top layer. Steel adds a lot of weight and probably is not practical. The aluminum is pricey at ~$300 for a 4'x8' sheet. The plywood has the change in floor height problem.

Anywayyou cut it, it's a huge PITA.

I'm also wondering if there is somebody out there who fixes these floors or do all these trade ins, returns to factory, etc with bad floors just get scrapped?
danf is offline   Reply With Quote