Thread: Pets??
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2019, 10:13 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

From a guy that always had "yard" dogs and hunting dogs with a sort of detached attachment to them and now a guy that has a pup, that found me, that I'm almost inseparable from, I can empathize with your statements. I also have to point out that she is totally dependent on us and her world revolves around DW and I so I keep that in mind with every decision I make regarding her.

We travel a lot; as much without the RV as with. I know where we can take pup and can't. If she isn't allowed we either don't go, take the RV or leave her at a trusted kennel. Although she is a service dog we refuse to take her in most stores (puppy stores, PetSmart we do) and certainly not restaurants because so many don't like it and I'm there so puppy doesn't have to be. There are very few, and I mean very few, instances where a service dog is required every single place a person goes. Blind folks I understand and there are a few others, but to see folks wandering around in Home Depot with nothing wrong with them, sitting in a restaurant etc. when they are obviously just pushing the boundaries doesn't sit well with me. Unfortunately, now that we have the classification of "comfort dog" (what in the heck is that?) many, many folks abuse the service dog classification. Comfort dogs do not enjoy the same benefits of a true service dog but many owners try to take advantage of that due to so many folks that don't know the difference and don't want to run afoul of the ADA. If you ever see a dog being touted as a "service dog" but it won't shut up barking, constantly carries on or anything else you can rest assured that dog has never been trained.

Now, back to why would anyone carry 4 dogs etc.? I have no idea. Our one pup takes all of our time and we treat her better than we did any kid we had. She is extremely well behaved, makes no mess (except bringing her toys to us), doesn't bark (unless someone approaches me in the dark and I'm unaware) etc. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to have 4 dogs that acted/reacted the same way. I couldn't do it and wouldn't want to - plus, at $43 night at the kennel x 4 for 2 weeks...??? Not for me.

Little brother had 4 people and 3 dogs and that's the exact reason he bought an RV. He got down to him, his DW and 1 dog. He had tremendous trouble trying to get his new 5th wheel repaired and so he sold it simply because the initial reason for buying it (all the folks and dogs) was gone and all the hassle.

To each his own I guess but I will say I have a REAL peeve against those that think they don't need to pick up after their dog(s). I see it all the time and it is more than aggravating. I've confronted folks, loaned them bags etc. My neighbor in FL watches them, picks up their poop, puts a note on it saying (pick up your s***) and places it on a step. Does it work? I don't know.

So now Danny, I'm sure I've opened the door(s) for many more comments. Seems like a good day for a discussion!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote