View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
goodellj

I've had a TST 510 system for 7 years on our 5th wheel, and it has saved me several times. I highly recommend a good TPMS. I got a system for all 4 trailer and 4 truck tires, but I think if I was doing it again I might NOT get the truck tire sensors, which of course push the price up a lot. I have a repeater installed in the belly of the 5th wheel.

I would look for 2 features on a new system: replaceable batteries and flow through sensors. Since there are now systems that might use your smartphone for the display, I guess I would also add a dedicated display unit as a desirable feature. I've had my system so long that the sensor batteries have started to fail, and new sensors are not cheap and since the 510 system is no longer made I will eventually have to replace the whole system. Flow though sensors allow you to add or remove air without removing the sensor from the valve stem, which I think is a major convenience.

I have had many slow leaks and 1 puncture over the years. MAYBE I would have noticed the puncture right away (it happened on the I-610 in Houston), and the slow leaks I definitely would not have noticed till I checked the pressure manually or seen a tire that was visibly low in pressure. The problem is that when a trailer tire loses some of it's pressure, the belts inside start to flex, and then fail. The failure of the belts causes more flexing and eventually the tread separates from the tire, often causing major damage to the surrounding trailer body, brake wires, and even neighboring tires. This is the highly visible damage you occasionally see when someone says they "had a blowout".

Since it has been 7 years, I can only tell you that I am happy with my TST 510 system. If I was buying a new system, I would do my homework and check with other users.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote