View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #26
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelrc51 View Post
Shore Power is a 6/3

I think my future plans will probably be a complete overhaul and installation of a battery bank and full Xantrex setup including:
1. Freedom SW 3000w inverter/charger
2. SCP (programmer/controller)
3. AGS (Automatic Generator Start)
A couple of other thoughts regarding your previous post:
Your "6/3" ac wiring is probably actually 6/3+ground. It is not uncommon to use #6 leads for L1, L2, N and them maybe a #8 lead for the ground. But all 4 wires are critical for a proper 50A RV power supply.

Additionally, if you are going to add AGS to your system, there really is no need for a separate battery to start the generator. Assuming the "house bank" will never fall below a preset level determined with the AGS, then you would always have power to start the generator - thus no need for a seperate battery. This would save you the expense and maintenance of having a seperate battery and charger just for the generator.

In actuality, our previous system (xantrex with monitor) didn't have AGS. However, the Xantrex system had a settable alarm for "low voltage" warning. It was loud enough that it would even wake me up in the middle of the night, at which point I would start the generator. So I personally don't think a seperate battery for generator start is needed for the system you are planning to install.

Just something to consider.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote