View Single Post
Old 03-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #21
michaelrc51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
I would recommend you stop thinking in terms of "how your generator is wired"; you really need to think in terms of your entire electrical system. You likely have:
  • multiple loads (main coach, inverter?, auxiliary jacks/stabilizers, etc.)
  • a factory "disconnect" switch that doesn't really disconnect everything and will drive you nuts if you forget and leave it off during trouble-shooting
  • multiple sources (shore power, generator, tow vehicle, solar system?)
  • load switching (your toy hauler probably has auto-load switching between shore power and generator sources)
  • load monitoring (does your generator system include an auto-start capability based on battery voltage?)
  • multiple batteries with a very large variety in how those loads and sources can be connect to both of those batteries.
In a lot of cases, a dealer (or prior owner) may just indiscriminately hook things up to one of the batteries with no specific plan. Then by using undersized paralleling cables they may place unbalanced loads on one or both of the batteries. If the paralleling cables are missing, then only half of your system may be utilized on some loads, and only half of you system is likely being "charged" when one of the sources is utilized. It all depends on what loads and what sources are connected to what battery. If you truly have your generator connected to only one battery, then the generator can only charge that one battery unless there are other electrical components for charging the remaining battery. So you really need to consider your electrical components from a systemic approach.

For best all around use, it is my opinion that you should probably;
  • Run multiple 12V batteries in parallel.
  • Make sure to use heavy paralleling cables between each battery (ideally, you want each source and/or load to "see" identical resistance to each/every battery in the bank)
  • Actively monitor your battery bank when you are not connected to shore power or using your generator.
Thanks you.

Yes, my current plans are to investigate and get a sense of everything in the whole system and how it is currently setup.

I was asking because I'd like to know if my system was possibly changed. I'm pretty sure mine has been modified. I will find out for sure when I start digging into things but some confirmation of how they were when they left the factory would be nice, and I understand not every unit leaves with the same configuration.
michaelrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote