View Single Post
Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
crk112

I've always tried to be considerate of others, and of course it really annoys me when others show no consideration for their fellow men and women. The icing on the cake is the folks who are so blatant and flippant about their lack of consideration... "it doesn't affect me or my stuff and until it does, I don't care". What's happening to people?? I'm 35 and the "adults" in the site next to me in Topeka the other night were hardly older than I am. They made no effort to say hi or ask if I needed room or simply move their stuff aside in case I did. I just brushed it off this time because I didn't need the space.

Anyway sorry about that diversion... it was just another thing I was dealing with right then lol.

I really appreciated the input about the window.. I'll that much of the ride home (Albuquerque to Minneapolis, I-40 to I-35) I had crosswinds from the right, creating a lower pressure on the left side of the rig where that window is. I had all the other windows and vents shut, although I strongly considered opening the bathroom vent to try and create lower pressure inside. I've read about that pulling in road dust though so I didn't follow through on that.

Whenever the window popped open it would hang open several inches and occasionally flap out near-horizontal. Every so often it would slam shut and a piece of the duct tape would grab and hold it shut for a few seconds. I'd slow down to 50-55mph while looking for a place to pull over... (funny how there never is a good spot right away; made me really think hard about how badly I wanted that window shut lol).

The mention about the baling wire clicked on the light bulb for me.. I recalled that I had a roll of copper wire in one of my toolboxes, so barely a five minute fix! I didn't even have to knock out any rivets, I could just wire it through and around the latch as-is, and the window frame where the "window handle" passes through was a perfect hole to pull it shut against.

I think I'm going to look for a slider to replace it with (finished area is about 23 1/2" x 37 1/2"). If I just replace the handle and latch I suppose I expect it to fail again in another 8,000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7615.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	27596  
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote