View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit12 View Post
OK, my investigations are complete. I believe my trailer is wired correctly. I found the inverter. Went thru every scrap of paper in the owners manuals I was given at PDI and there was nothing on the inverter. I went online and researched the inverter and found one. All this time my inverter has been turned off. I checked all outlets in my trailer, none are marked in any way I can see to identify which are powered by the inverter. On shore power, all have power and the one near the kitchen, at the back door and the one in the bathroom are GFCI and I verified they work correctly. I then disconnected shore power and powered on the inverter. I went back in the trailer and started checking outlets. The GFCI at the back door, near the kitchen, the one behind the TV and the one on the left side of the bed are powered. I then turned off the inverter and re-checked. no outlets had power. I then reconnected shore power and turn on the inverter. I'm using a Progressive EMS on my shore power cord so I don't get power in the coach immediately. I had the TV on and running on inverter power and once the shore power came back on, the TV did not turn off. I then went and turned off the inverter and the TV stayed on. I then turned the inverter back on and shut off shore power. The TV went off but I was able to turn it right back on. I restored shore power and shut the inverter off while its in winter storage. As a side note, while I was on shore power alone, it was right chilly in the trailer. I turned the fireplace on and it warmed up fairly quickly. Nice to know for when we cool weather camp next spring and fall.
It doesn't look like you checked the shore power cord during your checks... The recall, as I understand it, was initiated because when the trailer is NOT on shore power AND the inverter is powered ON, some trailers are wired so the shore power cord is energized by the inverter. Anyone who touches the pins on the unplugged shore power cord or lifts the hatch and touches the pins where the shore power cord attaches to the trailer could get electrocuted. Apparently, all of the inside plugs work as designed, the transfer switch in the inverter works as designed, but because of a miswiring mistake, power is applied to the shore power cord, energizing it and creating a hazard to anyone who might touch the connector or the pins at the shore power connection on the trailer or, if the cord is connected to the trailer, could "backfeed power through the cord" making the male connector "hot"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote