View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 08:57 AM   #14
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
Back in the OLD days with bis ply tires they would flat spot especially in winter. I remember hearing the thump thump going down the road till the tire warmed up. LOL
those days are long gone.
Also covering the tires. Big waste of time. Do you cover the tires on your truck or car. Probably never. Tires these days have little or no rubber in them. they get old and need to be replaced long before the sun gets to them.
Inspecting them is a must because I have seen newer tires with tread separation and cracks. It's something I do before the season. I inspect the tires on the truck before I set out on a trip.

Sorry but you may not have been in Organic Chemistry class the day they discussed chemical reaction rate. But as many of us remember and as I cover in my RT Tire Safety blog the chemical reaction (aging) rate of the "rubber" in tires doubles with every increase in temperature of 18°F

Also Synthetic rubber as used in tires and natural rubber as used in some tires BOTH respond to this same chemical reaction.

While you don't need to cover your car tires because you don't park them for weeks at a time and you replace your car tires about every 4 years many folks do not wantt o replace their 1/4 worn RV tires at 4 years.