View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #49
SummitPond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Whichever is your preferred road type... always know the alternatives and alternates for detour that may occur at anytime.

GPS and club trip planning services are great, but nothing beats a good detailed road map or atlas. Also go online and zoom in on the roads on map view and satellite view, to get an idea how the road looks close up.
Then keep up with up to date postings and broadcasts if road conditions. We always plan each day that we may have to change routes ir even delay in an area before proceeding.

Know your limit and drive below that. Stay safe and enjoy the trip whatever it may bring.
I know we overdo it - the GS router (I wish they'd hurry up and figure out what they are going to replace the now discontinued version with; the temporary version leaves a lot to be desired); the on-line AAA router (I sure do miss the old TripTiks with their detailed area maps inside the fold); either Bing or Google maps; GPS and of course as stated above, good maps (state maps obtained at visitor centers and the trucker's atlas). I like to map out a few routes (including side roads) and know my options so if they are needed I won't (typically) be surprised.

With all the technology available today, it makes one wonder how we ever managed to find our way or make reservations in the olden days.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote