View Single Post
Old 09-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #25
rosede

I thought that I would update the group on my front cap issues.

I first discovered paint fading last month, about the same time this thread started. I had not yet reach my one year with the camper, just a couple of weeks short of a full year. I called my dealer, which is two hours from where I live. They had me take some pictures which they sent onto Keystone.

It took a least a week before I heard back from the dealer, and the only reason why was because I kept following up with them. The service manager doesn't seem like someone who communicates very well with the customer. Anyway, I received an email from the dealer telling me to take it to a local body shop. This particular body shop specializes in semi's, buses, and other large vehicles.

Because of a preplanned trip, it took me two weeks before I was able to get the camper into the body shop for an estimate. I was concerned that Keystone would fight it because it is now over the one year mark. If they did, I was planning on fighting but I just got the call that Keystone is approving the work.

I left the camper over night so the body shop could take pictures, make their estimate etc... When I picked it up yesterday, I was told that it's actually the clear coat that is the issue, not the base paint. When I picked it up, it was cloudy and over cast and the fading actually cleared up. The body shop guy said that was the first clue that the clear coat was fading. Apparently when its bright and sunny, the white comes out making it look like the brown is fading, but when its cloudy and over cast, the base paint comes out. I'm not sure I understand that, but he's the expert, so I believe what he tells me.

The body shop is going to use a higher quality paint. He told me that he'll use what they normally use on trucks and has a five year warranty. He didn't know if Keystone would approve it or not, but they did, so I'm happy with that.

This guy told me that they've done a lot of work for the different camper manufactures. He said dealers from all over send campers to them. Apparently, they do a good job and have the facility's to do it. I seen a big fifth wheel in the shop while I was there, so guess they can handle my little 27 footer.

I'll take it in Monday, and they'll have it done by time I'm ready to go out next weekend.

rosede is offline   Reply With Quote