View Single Post
Old 03-23-2023, 10:01 AM   #13
Hellbilly13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know the situation is distressing and one I wouldn't trust to fate. Since you've ran into burned electrical components you know the smell and as you said it can be very strong and attach itself to things local to the problem. I've used my nose on many occasions to run down an issue like that (DW says I have a nose like a bloodhound).

You sound like me; I would not be using something that smoked then started working for a bit. It heated up enough to burn, you don't know what it is, what caused it or when it might happen again. If it cannot be verified 100% I would be replacing it. Not the best or cheapest option but I don't like burning surprises in the middle of the night. Good luck.
Thanks to all who tried to help; that's why I love this forum. I was able to find a replacement motor within a short drive. I installed it this morning and closely inspected all other wiring and components while I had everything apart again. Everything looks good. The furnace is now working like it should with no off smells coming through the registers or near the furnace. I will take every opportunity I can to run the furnace while I'm awake to watch it. I don't absolutely need to run it overnight until Tuesday.

On a positive note, I now know that I can remove, completely disassemble, reassemble, and install the furnace in about 2 hours.
Hellbilly13 is offline   Reply With Quote