View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 05:41 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu43 View Post
We bought our Passport (219 BHWE) new in Aug 2021. I washed it once sometime around Aug/Sept 2022 with Camco Wash and Wax (pic attached). Other than that, I think it was washed about 4 times in that first year by the dealer each time we took it in for service. I have no idea what the dealer used or if it was ever waxed in addition to being washed.

A few months ago, I noticed that the front of the trailer just above the "Passport" decal was very dirty (sorry, did not get a "before" pic). My truck blocks the front of the trailer below that, but this section is exposed to everything else the trailer encounters on the road.

I went to wash that section yesterday and started with the Camco Wash and Wax and an extended soft brush, but after the trailer dried, it was still dirty. I tried washing by hand with more elbow grease, but it did not get it off. After some internet research, I tried a rag with white vinegar, but it still did not come off. Finally, after another internet search, I used a Magic Eraser and A LOT of elbow grease. It took a few tries, but I finally got it cleaned.

It rained over night, and I noticed when I came out this morning that you can clearly see where I scrubbed yesterday because no water is beading up on that part of the trailer (pic attached).

At this point I have a few questions:

1. Is this front part of my trailer painted fiber glass? I'm assuming it's not a gel coat...
2. I'm hoping that the difference in appearance when the trailer is wet is due to me stripping off wax and not the magic eraser damaging the surface...?
3. Depending on the answer to #1, what is the correct wax product to use to protect that part of the trailer moving forward? Is my Camco Wash and Wax enough, or should I use a separate wax product?

Thanks!

edit- sorry for the sideways pics. Not sure if I can fix that.

edit again - Another thing I noticed - I went all the way across the front of the trailer at the height of the passport decal, so I'm not sure why the difference in appearance doesn't extend all the way to the edges. The spot you can see in the picture was the last spot I did, since I had to lay on top of the trailer and reach down to reach that part...

you should never ever use a magic eraser on gelcoat or anything that has a painted surface with a gloss finish like a car or boat ,rv…it’s too abrasive,( unless it’s really far gone) i’ve seen it dull a gelcoat on a boat and make it near impossible to bring to a high gloss finish again after someone tried to remove water stains from the hull…as new as your trailer is you should have been able to bring it back with a good mild cleaner wax…always start mild and if that doesn’t work you can go with a little more abrasive…if you go the other way it’s too late.
the gel coat is so thin on these trailers it doesn’t take much to mess it up
may want to pay a detail guy or gal ( one that deals with fiberglass boats and rvs )to just do the front cap…they know what to do