View Single Post
Old 03-12-2023, 05:48 AM   #12
dutchmensport

I'm a Dawn user also. Fortunately, my camper was treated with Resist All when we purchased it brand new. I've never put wax on it, going on 5 years now. Never had to. I do use WD-40 on a soft cloth to remove road tar and use Rubber Roof cleaners and then Rubber Roof Conditioner on the roof at least once a year.

My streaks (when they begin to form), clean right off. I just go over them with a long bristled soft RV brush using a 14 foot telescoping painters wand to hold the brush.

For water stains on the windows and acid rain build up from the air conditioner dripping, I'll use a solution mix of automatic dish washing liquid, which strips away any water spots, just like in your automatic dishwasher. This also wells fairly well on black streaks too. Don't rub, just let the automatic dishwash liquid do the work. Every couple years I spot paint with Professions Rust-o-lium all the black metal exposed framing under the trailer, and any black plastic parts. When trim on the sides begins to fade or shows signs of the color pitting or turning black (like in the photo above), it also gets a shot of a close color match Rust-o-lium (original), not the specialty formulas. They don't hold up.

So, to remove the streaks, just Dawn, rinse real well. Then follow up with your choice of wax. And just an FYI.... if you use something as simple as Pledge Spray Wax for furniture, your camper will sparkle... But it doesn't last long. But for a very, very quick touch up on a spot or two, this is a great trick.

We had a 1500 Chevy Suburban that was over 10 years old and we drove it to death. It had no dents, bangs, or pings in it, but the paint on the body was showing it's age. Before negotiating for a trade at the dealer, I washed it really well (with Dawn), used WD-40 to remove all the road tar spots, and then used Pledge Spray furniture polish on it. The Suburban sparkled like it was brand new! Really! I negotiated a pretty good trade on that vehicle with a DEALER because the body looked so good. Now, after it rained the first time, I wonder what they were thinking then?

The nice thing about Pledge is ... it's just like spraying down a piece of furniture. Spray on, wipe, till it's dry, done! Move to another small section and repeat. Goes fast, easy, and looks really nice (for a short while).