View Single Post
Old 11-17-2012, 03:46 AM   #10
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
That's a beautiful truck! I didn't realize that it was normal for fifth wheel hitches to need holes drilled in the frame. I could never bring myself to drill holes in the frame. That just doesn't seem like a good idea.
As Festus said, the reasons for drilling the frame are obvious, but it's also a matter of cost. Reese (and others) can produce a generic rail kit that costs significantly less than a vehicle specific (no drill) one. I chose the more expensive kit that I could install myself. The hitch shop wanted $250 to install a $110 generic kit. This one cost me $255 delivered. I bought it on Ebay and it was delivered 26 hours later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
That being a super cab, does it have the rear doors that open backwards? I've read random posts complaining about squeaking. In twenty or so years, that's the type of setup I'd like for retirement travel.
Yup, the rear doors are "suicide doors." It's standard on cab and a half trucks. Full crew cabs have all four doors opening the same way. I've had trucks with that since 1997 so I don't even notice it. Lubrication stops the squeaking if it occurs.

I am glad to be back to a SRW, short bed truck. It maneuvers better, parks easier, rides better, and is a whole bunch quieter than the Dodge.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote