View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 05:20 AM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

My trailers have had continuous wear bars so the option of putting wider strips than the bar and then attaching it wasn't an option....I like it. Also my strips have always extended beyond the wear bar BUT I will say that those were installed by the dealer because the slide had to be hyper extended (pulled out of the hole) so that screws could be put in the front edge. In your case if you can raise the slide, insert the strip and then attach it along the sides where it doesn't contact the wear bar that strip won't be going anywhere.

I've heard of folks using 1/4" but not seen it. In theory it seems like it would be better but in reality that is pretty thick to be placing under the slide and then expecting the slide drive mechanisms to "just adjust" and work normally for the long haul. If you place strips wider than the wear bars then the need for countersinking would be moot. UHMW is stout stuff so don't think a panhead screw is going to tear out/pull through...especially with multiple screws in the strip.

Some things to think about that I had done to this one;

UHMW is strong and pretty inflexible even at 1/8" but it IS a plastic type material. On the ends of the slides the darco wraps up under the end transition strips to prevent water running under the darco. Placing strips up to the edge and leaving that little strip of darco leaves a place (IMO) that could possibly get perforated and leak somewhere down the road. I had the ends of the UHMW heated and bent/formed to go around that edge and slide up under the transition strip so there was a seamless bottom (similar to what you saw with the slide skis). Also, depending on how the inside of your trailer is made you can do the same thing inside on the interior edges. My kitchen slide has a long trim board the length of the slide (14'?) on the bottom. We pulled it off, formed the uhmw along that edge, routered the trim board for clearance and then reinstalled with nice looking screws to secure the strip and uhmw vs staples. The other side was carpet so it was pulled up, the uhmw formed and attached then the carpet put back down.

Just some things to think about as you only want to do this once with no future problems. I would have gone with strips again had this not been the 2nd new trailer that had the issue so decided to do a full court press on Keystone. They replaced the entire slide bottoms with uhmw vs strips so hopefully my "darco issues" are behind me. Good luck on your project.

Edit: changed the word in read from routed to routered. Sorry for any confusion.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote