View Single Post
Old 01-30-2015, 05:43 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Most states limit any "double tow" (some call it "triple tow") to 65'. A few limit it to 60' while some allow 75' and a couple (all are out west where there's less traffic) are greater than 75'. Wyoming is the only state that I'm aware of that allows towing a second trailer behind a travel trailer. All the states that I'm familiar with only allow a trailer to be towed behind a fifth wheel.

The OP's initial question was whether or not he could tow a "small" utility trailer with his golf cart behind his current rig. The current rig is a 2009 F150 FX4 with a 5.4l V8. I'd suspect that the truck is equipped with the standard tow package (9200 pounds) and a 2014 Springdale 303BHSSR travel trailer. The trailer is 35' long, has a GVW of 9770 pounds. Even if the truck is equipped with the HD tow package (11,200 pounds) considering the length and weight of the trailer, when being towed by a F150, I would strongly recommend against adding another trailer behind the existing rig. That's almost a certain invitation to overloading and overtowing with a half ton truck. We haven't even addressed the shift in tongue weight off the Springdale which will likely affect the handling characteristics. With such a light tow vehicle, handling will almost surely be impacted by adding another trailer behind the first one.

I'd be very reluctant to tow such a rig with my F250. And I'd surely not attempt it without the "very best" in sway control. Having a golf cart on a small trailer behind a 35' trailer can set up some uncontrollable sway potential even under the best road conditions.

Not to mention that the rig is already at 55+' length and the maximum in Georgia is 65'. I'd say, in this instance, it is not a good idea to hitch anything behind the current rig.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote