View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 04:46 AM   #13
skids

OK Folks, thank you for all of your comments and suggestions. This generator used to run the AC just fine but recently I rejetted the carb (OEM jet kit) for higher altitude since I live at 8800 feet and sometimes camp at near 10000 feet. I suspect the smaller jet size limits Hp to throttle-up to the necessary rpm and torque to maintain voltage.

I took the generator to the garage and hooked a 1500 watt heater. And it maintained 124 volts. Then I switched off the space heater and powered-up a Hilti circular saw and it maintained 124 volts. Then I powered-up both devices where the generator showed something like 1800+ Watts and the voltage dropped to 105. I just think that the generator was not keeping up, as if it had a “governor.” I suspect the voltage regulator can truncate the voltage if it is available but not increase voltage if it is not.

So, I will rejet the carb again to get some of that power back. I realize that an EMS would be a good thing (and using a ground/neutral bonding plug) and that undervoltage protection could save the AC from damage, but DAMN those things are expensive...