Thread: Pets
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 05:04 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

I've had dogs most of my life but they were hunting dogs and yard dogs primarily. Loved them but didn't let any of them in the house because I was allergic to dogs and cats (among other things).

10 years ago saw 3 little puppies (tiny) playing in our property next door. Figured they were deserted on a road nearby. Didn't mess with them and they played for 2 days. The 3rd day they were gone and didn't really think about it. Went out to grill that evening and on the other side of our fence I heard the most pitiful, high pitched cry I've ever heard (under a honeysuckle plant that grew over the fence). Called DW and asked her to walk around and see if that was a puppy on the other side. Sure enough a tiny baby was there, terrified and nothing but skin and bones. Some moron had used what appeared to be a car cigarette lighter and burned round holes into her skin through her fur. They had cut off one of her toes. Absolutely revolting. Her ribs were just poking out and she was quaking...but starving.

She was terrified of us but so hungry that when I took a piece of smoked sausage she reluctantly (very) followed me to the front door but that was it. Fed her and left her water (she would not come in) and told DW I figured she would be gone in the morning. She wasn't. She was there and seemed more willing to trust us. Moved her to the sunroom. At this point DW and I had a serious heart to heart about what to do with her. We couldn't keep her (we thought) and I couldn't bear to take her to the pound where I was sure she would be euthanized. Decided we would deal with it and I would find an allergy doctor but I wasn't going to put such a tiny, scared and abused dog in the yard to "deal with it".

Well, 10 years later she is an unbelievable joy and my night and day shadow - and has a licker that won't stop . She guards me and takes care of me like a little mommy. Travel is not really fun for her but she wants to be with us so she deals with it....and we're not going to stop traveling. Got tired of trying to find hotels/condos/resorts that allowed pups and were nice so we have opted for this route and really like it. Once landed Ginger is fine...like being at home. Oh, you know the best part? Out of doing this I LOST my allergies! To EVERYTHING! Absolutely unbelievable but it's true.

As far at those traveling with pets seems most do. My only beef are those that have untrained/uncontrolled pets that think they've found their own "back 40" and everyone can deal with it.

Sorry for the long post but taking her picture kind of got me going for a bit.

Edit: Crud, just checked the post and saw Gin upside down. Guess I had the camera turned the wrong way. She's actually not upside down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201119_193418[1].jpg
Views:	85
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	30849  
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote