View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
meaz93*

Newbie Towing Accident

My wife and I were coming back from Woodinville Washington Monday afternoon ( no TT this trip [emoji26] ) and cut through Nevada....wife was not happy with toute choice-lol
The winds were brutal the whole way back. We were heading south when I noticed less than a mile ahead what looked like a huge dust cloud with a vehicle involved?
A guy in a Ford Transit EcoBoost was towing what looked to be a 14' TT.....with no WDH!
Long story short a tire blew out on his travel trailer jack knifing the rig which flipped / trashed the TT. This happened on a 2 lane out in the no-where-ville Nevada Desert! ( no cell service either )....I'm sure speed was a factor.
Even though I wasn't towing; I always carry a light floor jack ( removed the 2 ton unit before we left AZ ) 2 floor jack stands, bolt cutters, battery operated impact wrench, & more assorted tools- leave nothing to chance!
The TT still had the safety chains attached which lifted the Van's rear wheels off the ground by almost a foot.
Needless to say the whole family was pretty shook up. The guy driving had never pulled a TT before but said he had a small work trailer of some sort he towed?
He had rented this TT from a private party whom obviously did not care about making sure this OP knew what he was doing!
Thank goodness nobody got hurt.... and that I had come along. I had took the Nevada route instead of the longer way back through Oregan, Boise, Utah, etc... Wife not happy-lol
I couldn't get the rear of the van up high enough to relieve & remove the pressure on the chains.
Asked OP for permission to cut the chains from the TT. Set floor jacks under rear axle and than cut chains....otherwise they could not use their tow vehicle and would be stranded for hours!
Nobody but myself and one other guy stopped but he had no tools to help.
I was glad to be able to help this family.
I was amazed that he did not leave with a WDH after renting TT?
It could have been worse than it was....
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote