View Single Post
Old 06-05-2021, 06:04 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aricker243 View Post
after being on the road as a snowbird for 4 months, I can tell you 100% of all F250 diesel drivers are over payload, and 95% of ALL other 3/4 diesel tow vehicles are overweight or right at capacity.

most likely you are close, and you'll find the 23-25% pin weight is way too high.... mine is 18%....(all depends our your RV) and you probably won't come close to max weight of the trailer. I had 900bs in cargo for a 4 month trip.
This is just not true, Did you see and weigh EVERY F250 and EVERY 3/4 ton truck towing a camper in the country during your journey? The 20 to 25% pin weight ESTIMATE is just that, an estimate. Those numbers are used as a "guide" when actual scaled numbers are not available. That guide is used widely by most everyone in the rv community and is a "maximum number" or a "worst case" scenario. By using that to calculate then obviously the rig should not overload the tv if the trailer is loaded below gtwr. The common reporting by those that weigh their rigs and report back is that their trailers are loaded much closer to max rated capacity that they are to the "advertised empty weights".

Stating that the estimate is "way too high" because you're at 18% is just bad advice. That's like saying everyone should buy a red truck as mine is red. That estimate may be too high for you but making a blanket statement that it's too high for eveyone is just wrong. I have a gray F250 and I KNOW I'm not overweight (OK, I am but the truck isn't ) so there goes that 100%, BTW, I don’t see any info on what you are towing or what you are towing with. When it comes to fith wheel toy hualers the pin weight percentages can vary depending on how many axles and the load if any in the garage.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote