View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 06:57 AM   #128
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeakins View Post
I am on the backside of a 7,000 mile tour of the southwest. I should also mention that our “home port” is mountainous Western NC. I have a 2020 crew cab long bed F350 DRW 7.3 gas.with the same rear axle you’re looking at. I’m pulling a 41.5’ Montana weighing in at between 16K lbs and 18K lbs. We've pulled “the beast” to elevations right at 9,000 feet. It’s groaned a few times, never shown any real signs of stress. The 10-speed transmission works well and does a fair imitation of engine braking as well. On an up-hill day, we will get around 6 mpg to 7 mpg. On downhill days I’ve gotten as high as 14.6 mpg ( from Ruidoso to Carlsbad). Generally, though, I get 8mpg to 11 mpg on cross-country. I rarely move along faster than 65mph … usually 60 mph where permitted. I burn regular, but watch out in the high elevations where gas labeled regular is 85 - mot 87 - octane. You will be forced to opt for midgrade to get 87 octane and your owners guide states using less than 87 could forclose your warranty. My previous truck was a 1999 7.3 diesel pulling a 13,000 fifth wheel. I got a little better mileage with it when not pulling a trailer than I do with the 2020, but about the same when pulling. Also, my current ride has a 48 gallon tank versus the 35 in the diesel. I now can do a full day if towing with fuel left in the tank. Never could before. Hope this helps.
That is the kind of information I was hoping to get. Thank you very much. It also shows that the 7.3l gas fits our needs for the size we want to own. Plus, resale on this truck will hopefully be my daughters problem after we croak!
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote