View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 04:05 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

To my thinking the Gladiator would want to be treated "lightly" as far as putting a tow load on it; particularly trying to control it with the suspension. Back in the day a dedicated 4x4 was sprung and shocked to jar your teeth out when hitting obstacles....but they did not sag, sway or shift around. Nowadays a "4x4" is a soft sprung vehicle (non "truck") that has some sort of mechanism to make 4 wheels turn, in some circumstance.

Jeeps are Jeeps and I've owned several but not a Gladiator. All mine were older with a 2001 Grand Cherokee Overland being the newest, a 1983 CJ7 being the last. I have driven lots of the newer ones and rented them as well. I've not come across one that had a suspension that I would strap an RV of any size to.

Going back to the observation John made previously; is that suspension made for "comfort" while 4x4ing? If so it's not going to be good for towing. Much like a Raptor, they can tailor a vehicle to do certain things well and fail dismally at others that they should be OK at. If it were me I would definitely put it through some tests to find out what kind of support and control, or not, the suspension has. Then there is that 3.6 () and the frontal area issue.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote