View Single Post
Old 11-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #64
Bill-2020

Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
"It's illegal to sleep overnight at rest stops in Florida, not that authorities would recommend doing so. In other nearby states, it may not necessarily be illegal to park overnight at a rest area, but many have signs warning against it.

Really?! I live in FL and have stopped many times in the middle of the night to use the facilities (not towing) and all those cars and trucks idling and sleepers full of drivers. I’m unaware of this law and I’ll look it up. DW’s father used to sleep at them when between home and his destination. Some also have signs that state “Overnight Security” for the rest stop.

So looked this up and sure enough, rules state only 3 hour rest stop. No overnight stops. Back in 2004 during three of the hurricanes of that year (Charlie, Frances, Jean) we were forced to evacuate. While everyone was headed north out of Florida, we head-faked the hurricane (Frances) and drove south getting behind it out of harms way. The rest stops (northbound) were packed because those who were staying there (more than 3 hours) had reasons they needed to go north but couldn't because the storm was in the way. Those people had nowhere to go. Hotels were packed. This is one reason why we have a small TT, it's our self-sufficient evacuation pod. When a storm threatens our area, we pack up and leave with lots of fuel, water, food, cash and the generator. Twice in just recent years we've left and once we stayed at a KOA, the other time we cooled our heals at a travel center for about 8-10 hours while the storm began to make turn and the forecast was changed. I don't see a state trooper telling anyone to leave (storm or not) so long as you're not making it a weekend stay. Overnight? I doubt they would send a tired driver back out on the road.