View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I have to say, I don't understand the reason for the western/eastern thing. Sometimes, entire models are unavailable in one or the other.

When we were shopping for our current Cougar, we wanted to compare the 26 rear bathroom layout with the rear kitchen layout. We learned that the rear kitchen layout wasn't available in the west. We ended up walking through one in El Paso (Texas is the eastern region, go figure) as we drove through on an unrelated trip. Fortunately, we preferred the rear bath model anyway, so we got to buy it locally.

Like a lot of things Keystone does, this is unintuitive to me.
It has more to do with marketing (what sells where) than with any "deprive certain regions" scheme/plot by Keystone.

Here's one example of the "east/west" philosophy:
Around 2010=2014, the Cougar Half Ton was a "western edition" produced ONLY in Oregon for the "western region" and the Cougar XLite was an "eastern edition" produced ONLY in Indiana. The brochures during that time indicated that each was designed for and contained features that were tailored for the "camping styles" of people in the region. The Half Ton models had larger holding tanks, more/larger windows (reportedly because buyers in the west dry camped more) while the XLite models had smaller tanks and fewer windows (because buyers in the east traveled in highly populated areas and usually stayed in places with hookups).

While I won't say that the above is the "correct approach for all buyers" I will say that Keystone, "openly printed that philosophy" in their brochures of the models.

There was never any "restriction" to selling or owning" any model in any region, but the cost of transporting trailers from the factory to the dealership probably limited trailers built in Oregon to the west coast region while XLite models were limited to the east coast states (as a general rule) for the same reason.

I know a number of people who travelled east or west to get a specific model/floorplan of a "similar trailer". We were contemplating a Half Ton 279FWWE which is nearly identical to the XLite 27RKS. The 279 had much larger holding tanks, but only one recliner while the 27RKS had smaller tanks but two recliners/chairs. The main reason we don't own a 279 (my preference of the two) today is that it simply was not available for purchase anywhere from here to Oregon at the time we needed a new trailer (a tree fell on our old fifth wheel). Had I been able to find one or had our dealer here been able to find one "in the Keystone pipeline" I would have a 279 today.

It's not a "clandestine plot to deprive" so much as it is a means to produce "tailored models of similar floorplans, some on the east coast and some on the west coast" while maintaining less variance on either assembly line, hopefully reducing mistakes between the models.

Now that the XLite is out of production, there's still some variance in features, but not nearly as much as there was between brands that were exclusive to one region.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote