Thread: Towing Question
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #20
Bob Landry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
That Tundra may look like a big truck, but it doesn't have the heavy duty running gear of a 3/4, ton or one ton.

Axle rating, and tires, semi floating axles, just remember I have basically the same 5er as stated and run a constant 2,300# pin, I don't think the total payload on the Tundra is that much.
The Tundra is a big truck with almost the same HP & torque as the Ford 6.2&. The brakes and differential are huge and by 1/2 ton standards, it's a stump puller. It pulled my 8000 lb trailer with ease. That said, I did not do a lot of mountain towing, and we were always careful to load everything in the trailer to keep the hitch weight down. It suffers the same issues as any 1/2 ton truck. It's not that hard to manage with a conventional tow trailer, but the pin weight on that fiver and one person would probably put you over the limit on payload. At that point, the issue becomes stopping, not towing. That's why I just traded for a F250. I just didn't want to have to worry about it any more. (Plus, I really like the new Fords)

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote