PDA

View Full Version : Do You Travel With a Full Tank of Water?

Scratch
03-08-2013, 05:55 AM
We're preparing this morning for our first trip with 'Lonesome Dove'...

When we purchased our travel trailer, we were advised to hit the road with about 1/2 tank of fresh water. Does this hold true for 5ers as well?

Thanks much in advance.

Scratch sends...

jerseyphil
03-08-2013, 06:01 AM
There are 2 reasons I like water in the Fresh Water tank.

1. If we stop along the road, we can use the toilet.
2. With my 5th wheel, my fresh water tank is in the rear, so it leverages some weight off the pin in the pickup bed.

Happy Camping!!
Phil

hankpage
03-08-2013, 06:02 AM
We travel with enough water for "pit stops" along the way and in case of emergencies. Having a rear kitchen trailer and the location of the FW tank it seems to reduce bouncing also. Of course this depends on temperatures while traveling. Enjoy your trip and travel safely. JM2¢, Hank

f6bits
03-08-2013, 06:02 AM
I suppose the half-tank makes for a more stable TT, but most people I hear from keep about 5 gallons for those on-the-road bathroom breaks.

You can always experiment and see how an empty tank compares to a full tank and then decide between 5 gallons or more.

Scratch
03-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Great advice and mighty quick as well. Thanks folks!

Think I'll go out and put some in the tank. Heading out for the maiden voyage to Matagorda Bay in about three hours.

We're not excited or anything like that... "bouncey:

rjsurfer
03-08-2013, 06:37 AM
I like to carry 20 or so gallons.

We used to just put 5 gallons or so in but we found when pulling off the side of the road for a pit stop or lunch break the angle of the road combined with the hitch angle always seemed to push the water away from the water tank intake tube.

Twenty is the least we can use reliably.

Ron W.

drbob30
03-08-2013, 07:30 AM
I always pulled my TT with a full tank, for one reason I had soft water at home, and as stated above for weight distribution. So I plan to do the same with my Laredo 5er. Some people say they don't fill it, due to the added weight, but I've never seen a difference in fuel mileage (full or not).

SteveC7010
03-08-2013, 07:41 AM
When we purchased our travel trailer, we were advised to hit the road with about 1/2 tank of fresh water. Does this hold true for 5ers as well?

This is one of those questions that reminds us of another way that 5ers and TT's are nearly identical. If it's a good idea to carry some water in a TT, then it is no less of a good idea to carry some water in a 5er, and for all the same reasons. The precise amount is left up to the individual's needs.

Jim W
03-08-2013, 07:49 AM
I normally carry 10 to 15 gallons of water for bathroom breaks for the DW when traveling. Or we stop at the rest area on the interstate highways about every two hours.
I do not like to carry the extra weight since water is 8.34 LBS a gallon and a 60 gallon fresh water tank filled would add 500 LBS more to the trailer mass when towing.
Jim W.

JRTJH
03-08-2013, 08:32 AM
Whether to tow with full, partly full or empty water tank is pretty much an individual decision. Some people may have a reason to fill (or empty) depending on towing characteristics of their rig, others may choose based on other criteria.

We always tow with about a half tank so we have water for washing hands, toilet breaks, etc along the road. If we are going to be "dry camping" I always leave home with a full fresh water tank. Most of the campgrounds we frequent only have a hand pump well to supply replacement water and I am very reluctant to stop at a gas station near our destination and try to maneuver my rig close enough to fill tanks when refueling. Who knows where their hose has been and taking time to drag out my own hoses, connect them to the water supply at a busy gas station while blocking traffic trying to get to the pumps to refuel just doesn't seem like "neighborly RVing" to me. So, as for dry camping, which is most of our summer, we travel with a full tank.

ktmracer
03-08-2013, 09:37 AM
I've towed with a full water tank now for 15,000+ miles with no issues. Reasons are:

1) often dry camp so need water anyway.
2) With full water tanks we can pull in even with a full hookup site and start camping, if I need to add water a few days later I can, no need to get hooked up to start enjoying stuff.
3) Occasionally sites with water may be potable, but not necessarily what you may like drinking
4) Several times we've pulled into a site where water was down for some reason. you'd be suprised how many folk came in with NO water and were scrambling to do anything.
5) We have been caught at sites during a storm or something that ended up causing a loss of power. And with no power, they couldn't run the pumps for the water. But we were ok, others weren't.

Really no negatives I can think of for not traveling with a full or nearly full water tank.

SLIMSHADIE
03-08-2013, 12:41 PM
As stated earlier, my TT rides better with a full tank. I dont see any difference in mileage. I also fill up with soft water, better on the plumbing. My anode rod still looks brand spanking new. I've camped at a few places where the water was potable but it sure stank.:D

Bluewater
03-08-2013, 03:00 PM
We always travel with at least 1/2 tank in our Laredo 5er. One thing we do is always drain the tank at least every 2 weeks without fail and we never had foul tasting water.

davidjsimons
03-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I fill my tank before leaving home. I then have water to use while on the road. As soon as I arrive at my destination, I hook up to the water service. I then save the water remaining in my freshwater holding tank for the return trip and drain it upon my arrival home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SAD
03-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Water tank 100% full all the time.

When at the campsite, I operate off the pump... When we need to refill, I use the hose to refill, then put the hose back in the basement.

Using the pump instead of city pressure...
1) One less thing to hook up when I arrive / one less to put away when I leave
2) If you have a leak from a loose fitting or something un-see-able (in cabinet/basement etc), you'll HEAR the pump cycle or blip.
3) When leaving the campsite for extended period, more convenient than turning off spigot.

Many cite weight as a reason to not pull with full tanks. I offer the following.
1) 500 lbs water weight when considering 14,000 lbs is insignificant percentage
2) empty/full - my mileage and performance is the same (with every camper I've ever had - including my previous toy hauler which had 200 gallons on board)

Additional thoughts on weight from when I had a toy hauler:
1) My mileage performance was the same if I had a 2200 lbs car inside or NOT
2) My mileage/performance was the same if I had 2000 lbs jetski trailer in tandem or NOT

Above 50 mph, weight is almost a non-factor when it comes to MPG... It's nearly all aerodynamics/wind drag.

:)

Fred_M
03-08-2013, 09:09 PM
For some of the fore mentioned reasons I travel with a full fresh water tank.
We have a 27FT 232SRT(Springdale) hooked up ready to go, we weigh in
at about 14,000 LBS. The tank holds 60gal at 8LB per. Thats about
680LBS out of 14,000. Not much of a difference, I don't notice an increase
in fuel consumption. - Big difference in convenience on the road. - Fred.
P.S., been pulling TT(travel trailer) since 1982.

chuck&gail
03-09-2013, 07:50 PM
We have a toyhauler so fresh water weight is used to get tongue weight between 13 and 15% of total loaded TT weight. Since I prefer 13%, we carry just a few gallons.

rclark
03-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Leaving Brookings OR for Northern CA parts unknown for sure. Just filled tank to 100% since we may do some dry camping if we cannot find a decent place to stay. Just read reviews of N. CA RV parks and does not look promising, but have Onan 5500 and Direct TV dish so prepared for the worst. Always go at 100%, but I think this is an individual choice to make depending on circumstances.

smiller
03-10-2013, 02:53 PM
The difference in mileage is indeed probably insignificant but I still don't see why anyone who isn't planning on dry camping would carry around 500 lbs. or so of extra weight for no reason, more wear on drivetrain, tires, brakes, bearings, etc. Not a lot perhaps, but again why do it for no reason. Also many 5th wheels are running near their gross weight as is, no need to press it.

I usually carry about 1/3 tank to cover on-the-road use or to cover a couple of showers if we are stuck without hookups overnight. OTOH hand I wouldn't hesitate to carry a full tank if I had a good reason, such as headed to a dry camp with questionable water supply, etc. But I just don't see it as a standard operating procedure.

ktmracer
03-10-2013, 04:07 PM
The difference in mileage is indeed probably insignificant but I still don't see why anyone who isn't planning on dry camping would carry around 500 lbs. or so of extra weight for no reason, more wear on drivetrain, tires, brakes, bearings, etc. Not a lot perhaps, but again why do it for no reason. Also many 5th wheels are running near their gross weight as is, no need to press it.

I usually carry about 1/3 tank to cover on-the-road use or to cover a couple of showers if we are stuck without hookups overnight. OTOH hand I wouldn't hesitate to carry a full tank if I had a good reason, such as headed to a dry camp with questionable water supply, etc. But I just don't see it as a standard operating procedure.

a few reasons we travel with a full tank.

1) With full water tanks we can pull in even with a full hookup site and start camping, if I need to add water a few days later I can, no need to get hooked up to start enjoying the camping. Often don't even bother to plug in until the next day since we can easily run everything except AC on the batteries.
3) Occasionally we find sites with water that is potable, but not necessarily what we like drinking or cooking with, or even showering in. Having our "own" water is nice.
4) Several times we've pulled into a site where water was down for some reason. you'd be suprised how many folk came in with NO water and were scrambling to do anything or left.
5) We have been caught at sites during a storm or something that ended up causing a loss of power. And with no power, they couldn't run the pumps for the water. But we were ok, others weren't.

That's enough reasons for us to always travel with a full water tank, especially #4 and 5.

Scratch
03-10-2013, 05:08 PM

Makes sense... We left home with a full fresh water tank driving into a 20mph headwind for most of the trip. We were heavier than I had anticipated so I reduced the load to 1/3 tank about halfway through the trip and immediately noticed improved handling. 1/3 seems appropriate for these conditions; I'll probably use this setup as our template for similar trips and reserve full tank configuration for dry camping trips.

Awesome advice and suggestions from everyone. Thanks folks... :)

Oh yes... After drizzle, fog, rain and heavy winds for most of our stay, the sun finally broke through and winds died down so we'll get to enjoy at least one day of nice weather before heading back home on Tuesday...

Scratch sends...

smiller
03-11-2013, 05:49 AM
a few reasons we travel with a full tank.
1) With full water tanks we can pull in even with a full hookup site and start camping, if I need to add water a few days later I can, no need to get hooked up to start enjoying the camping. Often don't even bother to plug in until the next day since we can easily run everything except AC on the batteries.
3) Occasionally we find sites with water that is potable, but not necessarily what we like drinking or cooking with, or even showering in. Having our "own" water is nice.
4) Several times we've pulled into a site where water was down for some reason. you'd be suprised how many folk came in with NO water and were scrambling to do anything or left.

That's enough reasons for us to always travel with a full water tank, especially #4 and 5.
Most of those things are covered by carrying 1/3 tank or less, unless there is an extended multiple-day outage which is pretty unusual. I don't see the need to carry the extra weight to guard against a 1:1000 chance of something, there's almost no end to that. But it's all good, everyone does what works for them.

kenn209
03-15-2013, 05:47 AM
I guess I am the lone solider in this one, We never carry water unless we are camping at a campground that has no hookups, and then I fill up right when we get there. Always done it this way since our first camper.

chuck&gail
03-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Nope, never have. Just carry enough for potty breaks and lunch on the road. We always stay in campgrounds.

Dhuhn
03-23-2013, 07:45 AM
This is good advise,and filling my tank half makes sense, unless dry camping.
Thanks for info.

Ayotte
03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
I have always worried about the water splashing around if not full. My tank is at the back of the camper and was thinking if it started splashing side to side it might affect pulling the camper- so I have always went empty or completely full.

NMRVer
03-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Like many others have stated, I travel with water in my tanks, usually 10-15 gallon for rest stops. I normally don't fill my tanks, (I'm pulling a heavy 5r so weight is important) but after needing water on a few occasions, 15 or so gallons always met our needs. Although I also bought a 3 gallon water container and flushed that way also. It's a personal choice, and to some extent everyone has a unique situation, but I'd put "some water in". This 5r is new to us, but our TT never had a problem with "sloshing", so since a 5r is more stable, I don't think it'll be a problem either."bouncey:

TimPasq
04-08-2013, 07:29 AM
As with others we travel with about 10 gallons for pit stops and to ensure there is adequate water at the pump inlet in case we are on an incline. Something else to consider: finding water at your first camp site. If it is a developed site this is not a problem. We camp a lot at National Forest sites and most often find there is no water source for a quick fill. Maybe hand pumps which means filling a container and then filling the water tank by hand. At some point near our destination we will purchase fuel and we always check first to ensure the station has a water hose or spigot available... we don't like to pull in and fill with water without some courtesy purchase. We have been in an unfortunate position of driving around a town for half an hour before finding a source.

Drew Waller
04-08-2013, 08:48 AM
It depends: if I'm going to have full hookups I put 5-8 gallons in for the dogs to use for drinking and some for us to use in the restroom. If we're going to rough it, I fill the tanks full. We also take a 5 gal plastic bottle with hand pump along for drinking. My 2 hairy buddies have to have water, I can survive on Yuengling!:)

Bushman512000
04-11-2013, 04:20 PM
just got home last night 1/2 hour before dark left India 500 town in the rain 78out, home was 45 cold as Canada is most of April no water in the house next time I fill I bleach add about 10 gallons drive where I am staying drop and flush that way the tank is fresh. I never carry water if I need some have 3 small jugs glad to get home the trip was all good...John:D

Bushman512000
04-11-2013, 04:29 PM
It depends: if I'm going to have full hookups I put 5-8 gallons in for the dogs to use for drinking and some for us to use in the restroom. If we're going to rough it, I fill the tanks full. We also take a 5 gal plastic bottle with hand pump along for drinking. My 2 hairy buddies have to have water, I can survive on Yuengling!:)

to lite for Me I had some but not a great taste I like the cool aid from the mountains not to say any beer is better than no beer I am Canadian We have some good stuff here to cheers John

wbatto
04-11-2013, 05:19 PM
I have always worried about the water splashing around if not full. My tank is at the back of the camper and was thinking if it started splashing side to side it might affect pulling the camper- so I have always went empty or completely full.

When we bought our first TT the dealer told us to tow with a full or Emt tank of water. The reason was water sloshing in a half full tank would make for a rougher ride when towing. I have towed since then with the tank at diffrent levels and never saw a difference. I usually fill my tank up as the camp ground we camp at has some nasty water.

2011 3500 Dodge Dully 6.7 Longhorn 800FPT package
381 Fuzion W/ Monster Pac

JRTJH
04-11-2013, 05:45 PM
wbatto,

Most modern RV fresh water and holding tanks have baffles in them to reduce sloshing. That helps prevent (or dramatically reduces) the side to side movement of hundreds of pounds of water which would induce sway and erratic towing. Additionally, most tanks are in front of the axles further reducing the tendency to push the rear of the RV back and forth.

Years ago, when tanks were a simple square box with plumbing attached to them, your dealer's advice was "spot on" however now, it's not nearly as important as in years gone by. There is still some sloshing, but usually not nearly enough to even be noticeable when towing.

Ayotte
04-12-2013, 11:19 AM
We have a 26sab and the fresh water tank is at the very back of the camper-this is why I worry about travelling with a partially filled tank. Doon't know if there is baffles in the tank or not.

Bob Landry
04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
We stay in CGs with FHU. My FW tank hasn't seen water since the PDI. We do pottie breaks when I stop for fuel, or when I get ready for coffee or a Diet Coke.

SteveC7010
04-12-2013, 03:14 PM
We have a 26sab and the fresh water tank is at the very back of the camper-this is why I worry about travelling with a partially filled tank. Doon't know if there is baffles in the tank or not.

Given the size of our RV fresh water tanks, the possible amount of water in them isn't enough to cause sloshing problems. It takes hundreds of gallons in much larger tanks to create issues.

Ayotte
04-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Never thought of it that way. Will have to try 1/4 or 1/3 of a tank some time! Thanks

Exsailor
04-24-2013, 06:25 PM
I cannot imagine a situation where i would want the extra weight
I camp at a variety of locations, from primitive Nascar to
Full hook up resorts. Either way nobody can convince me that
extra 8 lbs per gallon makes sense. Extra weight is always
bad. JMO

SAD
04-24-2013, 07:00 PM
I cannot imagine a situation where i would want the extra weight
I camp at a variety of locations, from primitive Nascar to
Full hook up resorts. Either way nobody can convince me that
extra 8 lbs per gallon makes sense. Extra weight is always
bad. JMO

8 lbs per gallon ALWAYS makes sense. Cause that's what it weighs.

How much does it take to hit extra?

Is 5 gallons normal? And 6+ is extra?

What about 8... And then 9+?

How about 20... And 21+?

SAD
04-24-2013, 07:02 PM
What if I have a 70 gallon tank? Is 10 gallons normal; and 40 gallons is too much?

What if I have a 200 gallon tank? Is 80 gallons normal; and 175 gallons too much?

SAD
04-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Ok. One more question...

If I have a 21' trailer, is 10 gallons excessive? Whereas if I have a 40' trailer then 10 gallons is OK? Is that how it works?

Ken / Claudia
04-24-2013, 07:42 PM
I used to travel with 1/3 tp 1/2 full thinking to safe wt. and get more mpg. I tested my Artic Fox several years ago across Oregon from West to East and back home. Followed same route, 70 gals water to get there, empty coming home around 300 miles each way. I found no difference in towing or mileage. Big uphills going east and down hills going west. I travel about 60mph either direction.

JRTJH
04-24-2013, 08:03 PM
A number of people have commented on towing with diesels and said that they get the same mileage towing a 20' travel trailer and a 30' travel trailer. They indicate that headwinds and tailwinds affect mileage much more than weight. My experience towing with two diesels was that there was no difference in mileage whether the water tank was full or empty. Now, factor in a 25 MPH headwind and mileage would go down significantly, but a few hundred pounds of water made no appreciable difference.

I'm told (but not completely convinced) that with a gas engine, there should be a MPG drop with the added weight, however, so far in about 8000 miles of towing, I haven't seen enough change to even equal 0.25 MPG difference.

I'm thinking, if it makes you happy.................... Then do it whatever way keeps the smiles in the driver's seat.............

SteveC7010
04-25-2013, 04:40 AM
Ok. One more question...

If I have a 21' trailer, is 10 gallons excessive? Whereas if I have a 40' trailer then 10 gallons is OK? Is that how it works?
I think that question would be most applicable if one were towing at max payload and towing capacity numbers. 80# of water versus 400# of water might really matter. If you've got a comfortable safety margin between the truck's capacities and the trailer's numbers, then the extra water should not matter.

I've repeatedly stated that folks ought to compute their towing capacity using the GVWR of the trailer. Part of the reasoning for that is that sooner or later, most everyone has to travel with full tanks for one reason or another. So if the trailer and tow vehicle are properly matched, the amount of fresh water on board should not be an issue.

Length of the trailer by itself should not be a determining factor IMHO.

jje1960
04-25-2013, 08:50 AM
Pulling out for Richmond shortly... Just finished filling the fresh water tank to the top..... Like always.

Exsailor
04-25-2013, 03:38 PM
To each his own but remember that MPG isnt the only issue
ThAt is several hundred more pounds on the trailer tires and
pushing you when you hit the brakes. Anybody who carries cargo
from truckers to airlines always do whatever they to eliminate
weight. Theyre the pros I will follow their lead. Ive never been
anywhere that i couldnt find running water.

JRTJH
04-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Exsailor,

Wanna come camping with me opening weekend of Bass season? I'll show you a campground that's at least 10 miles from anything but lakewater. It's quiet out there too. Cellphones don't work, no TV, only skunks, bears and an occasional moose. But no running water. There is a hand pump well, but it hasn't worked for the past 3 years, DNR keeps saying they are going to drill a new one. They just won't commit to when.

Exsailor
04-26-2013, 07:31 AM
JR. I would gladly make an exception for that trip. Sounds great
Especially the no cellphone part. Just sayin if at all possible
i always travel empty.

JRTJH
04-26-2013, 03:30 PM
JR. I would gladly make an exception for that trip. Sounds great
Especially the no cellphone part. Just sayin if at all possible
i always travel empty.

Meet us at the Mackinaw Bridge (north side rest area) about 1030AM on May 24th. Plan on bringing snow shovels, pick axes and lots of heavy winter clothing. We had another inch of snow yesterday morning and it was 18 this morning at 530. Of course, right now it's 58*F and heading back down. Supposed to be in the 20's tonight. I'm thinking we'll have to chip the ice off the boat ramp to get the boats in the lake, but once we get past the ice dam, it's open water :) or should I just yell, "YIPPEEEEE" :D

warsw
04-27-2013, 05:51 AM
I used to travel with only about 10 gals in the fresh water tank just so we would have some water for rest stops if needed. With that small amount I found that unless I was parked on pretty flat ground the pump would have a hard time picking up the water. I now fill the tank to 1/2 or 2/3. I don't notice any difference in how the trailer tows or handles and I always have water if I need it.

If I'm going boondocking I fill her to the brim.