PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 381 SLide Question

kazuaki
03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi, we are brand new Raptor 381 owners. Just picked up the coach yesterday. After parking it in my side yard, a question came up about the slides. The two main slides (kitchen and couch) are directly opposite each other and seem to run off a single mechanism. It seems like the mechanism just pushes the slides away from each other and whichever has the least resistance opens first, then the other opens. Or maybe they are hydraulic and operate on the same circuit. Is there a safe way to lock one of the slides in place, thereby forcing the other slide to operate? I'd like to be able to open and close the kitchen slide independently so that I can get to the fridge when loading the trailer for a trip. In my sideyard, the couch slide cannot open more than a few inches withut hitting parts of the house.

Thanks for the help!

Greg

KenBob
03-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Welcome! You are sure to enjoy your new Raptor!

The slides are likely hydraulic. The pump on our Fuzion is in the battery compartment above the batteries. A hydraulic valve can be installed to control the fluid to stop the movement of the slide(s). Some RVs have them from the factory. Ours did not. I added it.

This should have been explained (how the slides work) during your walk through.

Anyway, become familiar with the workings of your Raptor BEFORE you take the first trip.

1bacamaro
03-07-2013, 06:53 PM
I have a fuzion 381 on order and would like to know if the valve is on it from the factory. Called keystone and he was clueless. Anyone have a 2013 fuzion?

SAD
03-07-2013, 07:30 PM
On our Avalanche, there's a box VERY similar to what's in the pic KenBob posted. It's in the battery/landing gear control compartment. Which is located towards the front of the RV on the passenger side.

Knobs work to do exactly what you want to do.

crash
03-08-2013, 04:58 AM
Got me wondering about our Raptor now I will have to check mine out this evening:confused:

KenBob
03-08-2013, 06:10 AM
If you do not have the control valve, you can get them from Lippert. They are fairly expensive in my opinion.

http://store.lci1.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=lci&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=829616725&Count2=746757149

Type IRC in the search box

Mine did not come with instructions. Not hard to figure out for those mechanically inclined. Plenty of help here if needed.;)

kazuaki
03-10-2013, 05:09 AM
So, can somebody explain how that valve operates?

SAD
03-10-2013, 05:43 AM
So, can somebody explain how that valve operates?

By default, the entire hydraulic system is open. Activate the pump, and hydraulic fluid will be sent to all slides.

The path of least resistance will apply.. This is why your bedroom slide will generally extend first - it's the lightest/smallest... Then the rest will begin. You may notice them all starting... but the larger living slide may pause while the smaller kitchen slide extends... When the smaller kitchen slide stops, the living room will finish.

Expect the same behavior when retracting them.

The bank of valves basically closes off certain lines. Close the living room valve and they hydraulic fluid is locked in that line. The next time you activate the slide motor, the living room slide will stay right where it is since the pump can neither push additional fluid into that line, nor draw the existing fluid back. The other slides may even move faster since the pump is operating a lesser amount of fluid (and less slides).

If you have the valves, you should have one black knob for each slide on your RV - righty-tighty / lefty-loosey for close / open. They should also be labeled. I tested mine at home to ensure they were labeled properly.

kazuaki
03-10-2013, 06:01 AM
OK, thanks, I will check mine out. One difference with mine, I have two electrical switches to activate the slides. One for the bedroom and one that does the opposing slides (kitchen and main).

SAD
03-10-2013, 06:38 AM
If that's the case, I'd suspect you have 2 valves on the motor that does the opposing slides.

kazuaki
03-12-2013, 07:28 AM
OK, just got back into town and took a look. This is what the hydraulic system looks like. If it matters, the coach also has the 6 point level up system. I don't see any manually controllable valves. Not sure what the electronic valve is on the right hand distribution block.

1bacamaro
03-12-2013, 05:30 PM
I am a hydraulic tech for a living. I could help you but the pic doesn't give me enough info.

kazuaki
03-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Tell me what info I can get for you...thanks

1bacamaro
03-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Follow the hoses coming from that valve. Need to know where they go. Take pics from side of pump also. I looked at the plumbing diagram on their website. Simple system. I just got to see how keystone has it setup with the slideouts

1bacamaro
03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
How many slide outs and if all are hydraulic. Fuzions now have electric slide in bedroom

kazuaki
03-12-2013, 06:37 PM
Here's what I know now (will check the rest later). There are 3 slides. The kitchen and couch slide are directly opposite each other and are hydraulic for sure. I can see the end of the cylinders, but can't see the hoses easily due to the plastic covering the bottom of the coach. I'm not sure about the bedroom slide, but I will have my son hit the switch and see if the hydraulic pump runs. Of course some of those hoses are going to the leveling jacks. I'll do my best to trace some of the hose routing when there is more light tomorrow. I appreciate the help.

SAD
03-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Absent a diagram.... Looking at your pic, this is what I would ~guess~...

The pump (lower portion) has two outputs:
The orange runs up and loops back to that manifold (upper right) with 4 lines to the levelers.
The black output runs up and loops to that manifold (upper left) with 3 lines - one to each slide...

If they were going to be present, I would ~expect~ that manifold on the upper left to have knobs to divert/shut off fluid to the slides.

I suspect you do not have them.... BUT more pics or investigation may prove my assumptions wrong.