PDA

View Full Version : Best Weight Distribution hitch

Irish Mt Boy
03-07-2013, 05:17 AM
What is the best Weight Distribution hitch out there? I am going to tow with my 2011 gmc sierra 1500 Z71 4x4 crew cab and the TT is a 2013 Cougar X-lite 28RBS

f6bits
03-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Your truck and trailer are pretty well matched up so sway isn't going to be much of an issue. I use the Equalizer. It's quick and easy once it's dialed in. The EQ and the Reese Dual Cam are both really good choices. Dual Cam is nice since it has centering detents which do even more to help minimize sway.

E597283
03-07-2013, 06:35 AM
I have heared alot about the Equilizer and plan to update this spring to the 1,200/12,000lb model for my 2007 Yukon Denali XL with by 2011 Passport 2910bh

JRTJH
03-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Getting into the "which hitch is best" is very much like getting into the "Which truck is best" kind of conversation. Nobody really wins, and most get offended somewhere during the conversation.

With the truck/trailer combination you've got, I'd think just about any "quality hitch" from a "reputable" manufacturer would do you justice. I'd initially steer away from the "upper engineering" hitches like Hensley since they are very expensive and you probably don't need that kind of sway control. Most hitches are made to perform well with a reasonably well matched tow vehicle/trailer combination, which is what you have. An add-on friction sway control is probably all you'll need to dampen the "bow wave" from passing trucks.

My recommendation would be a reasonably priced weight distribution hitch system that you can get service and parts for (although you'll probably never need them) in your local area. If you're buying the trailer and the dealer has a specific line of hitches that he sells and services, then that may be a good choice if the price is about the same as you can find the same hitch for sale at an online dealer.

I would recommend that you stay away from the budget hitches at places like Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. They may be a "good hitch" but trying to find someone to help you with a problem would be a tough battle.

warsw
03-07-2013, 07:31 AM
The last hitch I bought for the TT we had was a "Blue Ox" SwayPro. Best hitch I have ever owned. Easiest hitch on the planet to set up, works seamlessly, no problem with backing up and absolutely no sway or noise. It seems so simple you wonder how it could work so well but it does.

http://www.blueox.com/p-1181-swaypro.aspx

Little Guy
03-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I have tons of tow miles over long distances and of all the hitches that I have used over the years, I really like the Equal-I-Zer brand. Once you get this installed and set-up, you are good to go. Great weight distribution and sway control. It is very easy to hook up, especially if you have a power tongue jack.
I have not had any need for air bags as this hitch works perfectly. I tow a 34' TT at 8800# wet with my Chev 2500.
That being said, there are lots of quality hitches out there that all work well and may come down to personal preference, service and parts availability.
Good luck and happy travels.

SteveC7010
03-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Reese WD with Dual Cam Sway Control
Equalizer
Blue Ox SwayPro

Three good choices. No clear winner.

I am not a fan of the friction bar sway controllers. They're finicky to adjust properly so they'll actually work, and they need to be set and adjusted every time you hook up. There is also a lot of debate on whether or not they are even effective on trailers longer than 21' or so. No clear answer on that, BTW. And they should be loosened before backing up which is another "thing to remember" every time you maneuver the rig.

I like the Reese DC best because of the strong detent action that uses the tongue weight to stop sway before it starts. Once it is installed and adjusted, there's no further adjusting needed. Just take the same number of links each time that you hook up and off you go.

The Equalizer and Blue Ox rate about equally in my view. The sway control is more based on friction or spring action and they are both "set and forget" as long as you hook up the same way each time.

I still have a complete Reese WD system less the DC part. If we ever move from a fiver back to a standard TT, I'd just pickup the DC kit and heavier trunnion bars.

Bob Landry
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Getting into the "which hitch is best" is very much like getting into the "Which truck is best" kind of conversation. Nobody really wins, and most get offended somewhere during the conversation.

With the truck/trailer combination you've got, I'd think just about any "quality hitch" from a "reputable" manufacturer would do you justice. I'd initially steer away from the "upper engineering" hitches like Hensley since they are very expensive and you probably don't need that kind of sway control. Most hitches are made to perform well with a reasonably well matched tow vehicle/trailer combination, which is what you have. An add-on friction sway control is probably all you'll need to dampen the "bow wave" from passing trucks.

My recommendation would be a reasonably priced weight distribution hitch system that you can get service and parts for (although you'll probably never need them) in your local area. If you're buying the trailer and the dealer has a specific line of hitches that he sells and services, then that may be a good choice if the price is about the same as you can find the same hitch for sale at an online dealer.

I would recommend that you stay away from the budget hitches at places like Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply. They may be a "good hitch" but trying to find someone to help you with a problem would be a tough battle.

So true. These "what's the best..." threads never really yield much information besides what individual owners like and very often that particular piece equipment is "liked" because that is what happens to be in use at the time and few people want to spend money to replace what works for them regardless of what they have read or heard.

Irish Mt Boy
03-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Guys Thanks for all of your input on weight distribution hitches, Its going to be fun to learn all there is to in the RV world.

fla-gypsy
03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
There are several proven designs as shown by the previous poster that are an integrated sway control/WD type hitches that work very well. I use the Reese HP Dual Cam and have had excellent results with it.

arcticcatred
03-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I can't tell if mine is the best but works very well and will definitely work with our front cap design. My tv is a 2006 chevy 1500 z71 short bed, my tt is a 2012 keystone cougar xlite 24 rls. I bought the reese sc hitch I believe I bought the 1200 lb one. It was very easy to install and set up. what's nice about it, it has built in sway control plus equalizing control.

SkyPiGG
03-07-2013, 08:06 PM
I have a very similar truck/trailer combo, and have had much success with the Fastway E2 hitch. It's a mid-range friction bar hitch, similar to Equalizer. The only drawback to the friction hitches is that they are noisy. Once you get used to it though, it's no big deal.

wbatto
03-08-2013, 08:15 PM
I towed a 2010 297 RET with a Toyota Tundra and never had a problem with sway. The camper was 35' and weighed around 9500 loaded. I liked the equlizer as it was easy to hook-up after you have it adjusted. It makes alot of noise kreaking mostly. After a couple hundred miles you get used to it Lol:D

Tom N OH
03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
My backside would be creaking with a 9500# trailer behind a Tundra. :D

Inherentwired1
03-23-2013, 03:58 AM
I use the new equalizer with 4 point anti-sway ....and it works!!! Set up is easy, and I've never had so little sway before.

Bob Landry
03-23-2013, 04:14 AM
My backside would be creaking with a 9500# trailer behind a Tundra. :D

Same here and I'm a Tundra fan. I pulled an Outback 277RL, around 8000 lbs, with one and never had an issue, but in spite of the fact that Toyota rates it to tow 10,000, and it is a very capable tow vehicle, I always felt I was at about the top of the comfort range with what I was towing.
I've since traded for a F250 and will take the first trip with it next weekend. BTW, I traded tot Tundra to get more payload, not because it wouldn't pull my trailer. By 1/2 ton truck standards, it's a stump puller.

chris199
03-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Agreed on Tundra. Still towing with my 2012 DoubleCab 5.7 V8. 4.3 rear and overall hp and torque is better than the GMC/Chevy 2500HD Vortec. (And I am a huge GMC fan...)

Payload is definitely the issue. There is no way, if hitch is typically 15% of gross trailer weight, that you could put 1500 lb on the hitch and have anyone else in the cab or in the bed. Therefore....no way to really tow 10,000 lb.

It does a great job towing our Cougar 29REV BUT I wouldn't go any heavier.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

jimmyv13
03-24-2013, 10:23 AM
I started my RV experience with an '07 Expedition towing my '08 Springdale with this:

http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/R/P/RP66088_2_1000.jpg

I got about 400 miles from home and I snapped a round bar turning into a parking lot. Very little if any elevation change from the road to the lot...no sharp turn, just an easy turn and the bar snapped right at the curve or bend. I limped it to the nearest RV repair facility and they said they've never seen anything like it. They asked why I went with the round bar instead of the trunnion bar. I didn't know there was much of a difference, but those guys said they only use round bars for lighter trailers and and go with trunnion bars for trailers over 7K lbs. They set me up with the exact same system except with trunnion bars. I've had no issues ever since. I have traded in the Expy for a diesel 3/4 ton and towing is a breeze. I don't recall feeling anything difference between the two towing systems, but that trailer really moved the Expy around when passing or being passed, hence the upgrade to a bigger tow vehicle.

This is what I'm running now...pic is just for reference, not my tow vehicle or trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/R/P/RP66084_1000.jpg

Kettleby_Cruiser
05-10-2013, 07:23 AM
I'm set up with an Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lbs model and works great so far ! :)

Newmark86
12-06-2013, 06:50 AM
It seems like you got a real good Trailer/Truck combo. but the first thing you gotta figure out before you start looking for a weight distribution hitch is your GTW and your tongue weight. Once you have that, you can figure out what WDH is good for you. also, I personally asked the guys at hitchanything.com and etrailer for help choosing mine. You can also hit up a store like camping world if you want, but most of those guys are salesmen, so always get a second opinion before you buy from a physical store. This was one of the first pages I found about weight distribution hitches when I first started Rving. http://www.hitchanything.com/Weight-Distribution-hitch-guide.html
hope it helps you or anyone else.

RGene7001
12-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Equalizer
Blue Ox SwayPro

I am not a fan of the friction bar sway controllers. They're finicky to adjust properly so they'll actually work, and they need to be set and adjusted every time you hook up. There is also a lot of debate on whether or not they are even effective on trailers longer than 21' or so. No clear answer on that, BTW. And they should be loosened before backing up which is another "thing to remember" every time you maneuver the rig.

I like the Reese DC best because of the strong detent action that uses the tongue weight to stop sway before it starts. Once it is installed and adjusted, there's no further adjusting needed. Just take the same number of links each time that you hook up and off you go.

The Equalizer and Blue Ox rate about equally in my view. The sway control is more based on friction or spring action and they are both "set and forget" as long as you hook up the same way each time.

I still have a complete Reese WD system less the DC part. If we ever move from a fiver back to a standard TT, I'd just pickup the DC kit and heavier trunnion bars.

Totally disagree.
Standard sway control bars are very effective for up to 30 feet trailers. Once I had to use one bar only, it was enough to prevent major sway but I could feel minor oscillations of the trailer. 2 bars make the combination solid and steady filtering almost 100% of sway forces.
My TT is relatively big, but light, and I definitely don't want to depend on light hitch weight to provide anti sway traction.
Second, they prevent sway by providing consistent resistance, not REACT to sway which already started.
Backing off ifs a problem but I can live with it 4-6 times a year.

SVichera
12-06-2013, 08:38 AM
I tow a passport 3220bh with a lincoln navigator and use the reese strait line dual cam with 800lbs bars. I found the setup is a lot more stable when i travel with the fresh water tank full, which tends to lead me to believe this hitch is very dependent on hitch weight, since the passport has a light hitch weight of only 600lb for such a long trailer. With the water tank full, it tows like a dream and the hitch works wonderfully.

alexramsey
12-17-2017, 06:49 AM
Like most things there is no "best". I liked the E-qual-i-zer because it is ridiculously easy to use and very effective. All the hitches (https://tophitches.com/) seem to do some squealing with use. The Reese dual cam is a proven design. Due to the price the Hensley Arrow is unobtanium So, do you like chocolate, vanilla or strawberry?

sconner
12-17-2017, 11:44 AM
My 2cents
I've been running the Reese DC with trunion bars for several years with my Passport 2920 with a 2000 Silverado 1500. Absolutely zero sway, quieter than standard friction types, and easy to hook up. Admittedly more costly than some of the friction type setups, but the cost is justified by the performance in my opinion.

KSH
12-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Best is easy actually, if you also want sway control get a propride hitch.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

cvin
12-22-2017, 10:14 AM
agree on the propride

But since i cannot afford one we have the blue ox and am very pleased with it
Very quiet and using it with the straptek system my setup has been very good with no sway issues etc

Turns great etc

theeyres
12-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Of you want a really easy one that would be a great combo with your rig check out the Anderson.

xrated
12-23-2017, 08:31 AM
agree on the propride

But since i cannot afford one we have the blue ox and am very pleased with it
Very quiet and using it with the straptek system my setup has been very good with no sway issues etc

Turns great etc

I'm in the same boat with you....Blue Ox Sway Pro and StrapTek pullups. I've been extremely happy with that setup and I have a 34 1/2' Tow Behind Toy Hauler. I'm dealing with a tongue weight in the 1360 lb range using 1500 lb spring bars. And.....no disconnecting when backing up.

MVBrown
02-14-2018, 10:09 AM
Short of a Hensley Arrow... Reese - Strait-Line with Dual Cam control. Best Weight Distribution and Anti-Sway system out there.

MVBrown
02-14-2018, 10:14 AM
Equalizer
Blue Ox SwayPro

Short of a Hensley Arrow... Yes the Reese - Strait-Line with Dual Cam control. Best Weight Distribution and Anti-Sway system out there.

kinggartk
02-15-2018, 07:10 AM
What do you guys think about the Husky TS Centerline? I have that for my newly acquired Bullet. Have only towed around 40 miles so far. Seems pretty good to me.

MVBrown
02-15-2018, 07:30 AM
The issue with these types of Sway Control systems is that they act After the fact to Dampen sway. Rather than acting Real Time to counteract the sway. With the Husky system. By the time a big gust of wind has hit you in a canyon. It's too late...

Watch this to understand how these two different systems work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFlGSn2L6I

kinggartk
02-15-2018, 08:12 AM
The issue with these types of Sway Control systems is that they act After the fact to Dampen sway. Rather than acting Real Time to counteract the sway. With the Husky system. By the time a big gust of wind has hit you in a canyon. It's too late...

Watch this to understand how these two different systems work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlFlGSn2L6I

I hear what the guy is saying...but I don't understand how the Husky does not provide active sway control. I'm new to towing, but I understand physics pretty well. The husky Centerline hitch seems to be exerting a constant "Centering" force due to the design of the sway bars.

If you have ever hooked up a Husky Centerline hitch, you know the force you need to employ just to get the bars into place. I don't really see how the Husky Sway Control couldn't be considered "Active" or "Real Time" Sway Control.

MVBrown
02-15-2018, 09:30 AM
What is commonly misunderstood by folks (through no fault of their own) is that the difference between Weight Distribution, and Sway Control are two different things. The spring load on the bars does nothing for anti-sway. The purpose of the bars (springs) is to shift the hitch weight to the front and ahead of the rear axle. This has nothing to do with sway control. On a standard system like most people have. There are these dampeners that clamp around the bars. That is the anti-sway part. That type of system works by "dampening" sway after it has occurred. So the trailer is already swaying, and we are trying to dampen what is happening after the fact. The dual cam system works by opposing sway before it can begin. So it is physically pushing back against it. As opposed to trying to dampen the effects of it. I had this same system on my last RV, and we never felt sway. One time we thought we felt it going thru a canyon, but because the system works so well. We couldn't tell. It was like "Hey! I think I just felt some sway!". This was after 4 years of RVing. Any system is better than nothing at all, and the Dual Cam not only cost more, but also has to be installed by precisely drilling the frame. Which may be beyond most folks ability. So I'm just saying that the difference is between dampening and preventing.

kinggartk
02-15-2018, 09:43 AM
What is commonly misunderstood by folks (through no fault of their own) is that the difference between Weight Distribution, and Sway Control are two different things. The spring load on the bars does nothing for anti-sway. The purpose of the bars (springs) is to shift the hitch weight to the front and ahead of the rear axle. This has nothing to do with sway control. On a standard system like most people have. There are these dampeners that clamp around the bars. That is the anti-sway part. That type of system works by "dampening" sway after it has occurred. So the trailer is already swaying, and we are trying to dampen what is happening after the fact. The dual cam system works by opposing sway before it can begin. So it is physically pushing back against it. As opposed to trying to dampen the effects of it. I had this same system on my last RV, and we never felt sway. One time we thought we felt it going thru a canyon, but because the system works so well. We couldn't tell. It was like "Hey! I think I just felt some sway!". This was after 4 years of RVing. Any system is better than nothing at all, and the Dual Cam not only cost more, but also has to be installed by precisely drilling the frame. Which may be beyond most folks ability. So I'm just saying that the difference is between dampening and preventing.

Not trying to argue...just want to point out one reason why I think the Husky actually DOES provide Active Sway control:
https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distribution/Husky/HT32218.html

Quote below is copied from the Website link above:

"Dependent Sway Control
Weight Distribution Built-In Sway Control

The Husky Center Line TS is a weight distribution system that works to keep your trailer in line with your tow vehicle to help prevent sway before it begins. Most of this work is achieved in the system head, which is responsible for about 75 percent of the tension in the system. Because the Center Line TS has so much tension in the head that holds the trailer steady at the connection point rather than relying on the frame brackets to keep the trailer in line, there is less popping and shifting while you drive. This weight distribution system is also noticeably quieter than similar models, which depend mostly on the steel-on-steel friction of the spring bars in the frame brackets to prevent sway.

The spring bars attach to the trailer frame with fixed, sturdy steel brackets. They sit on top of the brackets instead of being suspended by chains like the bars that are on traditional weight distribution systems. The chain suspensions typically allow a good deal of side-to-side play in the system. The Center Line TS brackets eliminate that unwanted movement of the spring bars to better hold your trailer in line. In addition, the Center Line TS brackets create the steel-on-steel friction discussed earlier, which chain suspension systems are incapable of doing. When each spring bar on the Center Line TS system moves forward or backward, or side to side, it rubs along the bracket and creates friction. The resistance created by this action limits the movement of the spring bar, thus preventing further side-to-side movement of the trailer. So, while the Center Line TS's system head prevents most of the sway before it starts, the frame brackets create a backup system to help prevent any additional movement."

madmaxmutt
02-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Like most things there is no "best". I liked the E-qual-i-zer because it is ridiculously easy to use and very effective. All the hitches (https://tophitches.com/) seem to do some squealing with use. The Reese dual cam is a proven design. Due to the price the Hensley Arrow is unobtanium So, do you like chocolate, vanilla or strawberry?

LOL! 4 year old thread.

JRTJH
02-15-2018, 03:57 PM
LOL! 4 year old thread.

Yup, the more things change the more they remain the same......

MVBrown
02-15-2018, 05:57 PM
LOL! 4 year old thread.

Yeah but some poor sap like me might be looking for this information one day... :bow::bow:

linux3
02-15-2018, 09:57 PM
What do you guys think about the Husky TS Centerline? I have that for my newly acquired Bullet. Have only towed around 40 miles so far. Seems pretty good to me.

That's what I have. Over the last 2 seasons I've towed maybe 15000 miles and I'm very happy with the Husky. I was less that thrilled at first because the dealer didn't do a real good job of setting it up. The Husky service department sent me a work sheet to fill out and they returned with how it should be setup. They were right.
One of the "L" pins broke. Husky quickly sent me 2 new ones free.
Good advice, good service.

Husky Centerline TS is, I guess, a middle of the road hitch. You can spend more or less and maybe get better or not as good but as I said, I'm happy with it.

Jetfixer03
02-16-2018, 06:02 AM
I second Anderson. Quiet, easy, no hassles backing up, and I think it does a fantastic job with sway control. Granted, my 19' ultra light is an easy tow, but in gusty conditions or passing oncoming semis Ive yet felt anything uncomfortable. It may not be the best choice for a large trailer, but for me it's been great.

Ksupaul
02-16-2018, 07:12 AM
Yeah but some poor sap like me might be looking for this information one day... :bow::bow:

Yep me too!! Read all posts! Don’t know that I know anymore, but have a few name brands in mind. Haven’t done a search on it yet, but want to see more about the Anderson Weight Distribution Hutch for bumper pulls. I am sure a search will find more.

Jetfixer I just read your post. Interesting you mentioned maybe not being great with big trailers. I am pulling a beast at 34’ and over 8k in weight.