PDA

View Full Version : Well, You Might Know it...

Scratch
03-04-2013, 07:49 AM
We're scheduled to pick up the 327RES tomorrow morning and the weather forecast calls for a windy day with 40mph gusts (much like we had last Monday... caused some damage to area roofs/trees etc.).

Mentioned to the DW, this morning, that we should, perhaps, call the dealer and reschedule for Wednesday. She's quite anxious, as I am, to pick it up in preparation for a trip this Friday to the Texas coast. Our (traded-in) travel trailer was a bear to handle in high winds :eek:

1st time FW Owner question for those of you with the experience: Think we're OK for a 40 mile trip back home from the dealer, or should we put it off a day?

Thanks in advance

Scratch sends...

SteveC7010
03-04-2013, 07:55 AM
If you've never pulled a 5er before, it sounds like a good idea to wait a day.

But just keep in mind that sooner or later you'll end up towing on breezy days. It is probably best to get some experience with your rig before that time comes around.

Since you have essentially the same setup as ours, I'll be very interested to hear how it goes for you.

Festus2
03-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Most TT's are more prone to wind and other turbulence than are 5th Wheels so you should notice an improvement in pulling the 327RES.

Remember that forecasts are just that - a best, calculated "guess" on what weather conditions are most likely to occur. The forecasted wind gusts may be less or they may be more.

If you do decide to go sooner rather than waiting, just drive slowly on the way back and if it gets to a stage where it is beyond your comfort level, you can always get off the road and "wait it out". Maybe the winds will be coming from behind you and that will make it somewhat easier. I wouldn't call 40 mph gusts "dangerous" but you will notice it - especially if coming broadside.

Or if you can wait another couple of days and the winds will have died down by then, perhaps it might be worthwhile staying at home and trying to contain your excitement.

Javi
03-04-2013, 08:12 AM
Go for it, just take it slow. Living in Texas you got to know how to drive in a brisk wind. That 5er ain't gonna flop around like a TT would.

KanTC
03-04-2013, 08:22 AM
We have high wind [& high profile vehicle] warnings here in southern NM today too, so it's probably headed your way as usual!

40 miles isn't that far, but my vote is to wait (a day or so) until better weather if possible. Better safe than sorry ;)
You also don't want to 'hurry through' the PDI because of the wind/weather...

If you can't reschedule, it might help to have the dealer fill the fresh water tank so the FW will at least have 'some' added weight.
And, as Festus suggested, "pull over" if needed.

JMHO
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Scratch
03-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Good advice folks; much appreciated...

We decided to drive into town for the PDI and, per the dealer, we can leave it there overnight if we decide not to risk it. I'll probably give it a shot if it isn't too bad as I don't mind a reasonable challenge on occasion; but if conditions warrant, we can go back on Wednesday. Expecting to drive into north winds which would be better than those coming from either flank.

Or we could always spend the night in the dealer's lot :rolleyes:

Thanks again...
Scratch sends

crash
03-04-2013, 12:00 PM
I agree have them at least fill the fresh water tank and take it easy,sooner or later you will get caught in alot higher winds so this will give you another notch on the belt so to speak.:USA::party:

labs4life
03-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Or get enough water in the fresh water tank to make it over night and spend the night in a Walmart parking lot. Provided you have one on the way home.
Take it slow and easy and you should be fine. Enjoy the new digs!!

Scratch
03-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Or get enough water in the fresh water tank to make it over night and spend the night in a Walmart parking lot. Provided you have one on the way home.
Take it slow and easy and you should be fine. Enjoy the new digs!!

There's a Walmart about one mile from the dealer which puts it about 39 miles from the house. And we could get some Murphy diesel fuel while we're there. Hey; what the heck!!! ;)

Bob Landry
03-05-2013, 05:05 AM
If you're buying your trailer from Crestview in Buda, they will give you a free night in their park.

Javi
03-06-2013, 09:10 AM
So, did you get her home....

I towed home from Caddo yesterday (238 miles) and there was plenty of wind.... most of it quartering or directly from the side most of the way... glad I carry an extra sway bar...:D

Scratch
03-06-2013, 02:50 PM
Made it home OK; just kept it under 60 for most of the way. That puppy sure looked bigger when we got it hooked up!

Got home and found some problems we're working with the dealer on now... I'll post in another thread...

labs4life
03-06-2013, 05:39 PM
Glad you made it home safe. Gt those few issues worked out and sheet to camping!!!

Cougarfamily
03-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Made it home OK; just kept it under 60 for most of the way. That puppy sure looked bigger when we got it hooked up!

Got home and found some problems we're working with the dealer on now... I'll post in another thread...

Glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. :)

And yes, those puppies do look a lot bigger hooked up! I have towed campers, including a smaller 5er, many times. At the dealership, their employees hooked her up while we were signing the paperwork. And to be honest, I was kind of intimadated by the mass of the trailer over and behind the bed of the truck when I first walked up to it.

This is also the longest trailer I have ever towed. On the way home from the dealership, I learned the hard way to give extra swing out on right hand turns. At one particular tight intersection, the awning did battle with the sharp edge of a stop sign, and earned a purple heart. :eek:

Scratch
03-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Thanks folks. I posted our troubles with pics in the RV Service and Warranty forum. In a nutshell: Bottom of the new 2013 5er is caked in heavy rust. Axles/brakes/pipes/fittings/frame etc.) When we opend the bedroom slide, we heard a loud bang and the bedframe separated from the wall leaving holes in the wall where it was attached. Out PDI guy was less than professional.

Still love the unit, and the bed will get fixed, but we're perplexed why/how so much rust could accumulate undeneath. The underneath metal looks like the unit is 20 years old...

(See Scratch's post in the other forum as there are replies there - Moderator)

clifnmicah37
03-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Feel your pain!! I HATE high winds. We live in Texas and the cross winds are HEAVYsome times. Just slow down, the whole reason for the trip is to not be in a hurry!!. Half of the fun of the trip is the drive! I myself upgraded to a FW and getting to know the system. Not sure of the max winds to travel or not to travel in? Any suggestions? We have a FB account "Camperin-it Texas Rvrs
See you on the road!!