PDA

View Full Version : Tow ball Hitch height to high, Why?

Cookies7276
03-02-2013, 09:52 PM
I cannot understand why keystone provides such a high hitch height it doesn't suit any vehicle you back up to it. No vehicle is made to suit this height without adapting it. Anywhere out of the u.s won't allow you to use anything legally to tow and you don't get any benefit from it ( I won't be offroading mine!!).
What a stupid trailer.

Paul

KJcachers
03-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Frames are higher so the wheel well is under the box instead of in the living area. Everybody is doing this now to save interiorr space.

TAZ23
03-03-2013, 03:04 AM
A wieght distribution hitch with adjustable shank will allow the proper height adjustment from tow vehicle to trailer.

davidjsimons
03-03-2013, 03:29 AM
At least you don't need bogey wheels on the rear corners when transitioning an incline as with a car trailer. I prefer the higher frame height to that scenario, but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f6bits
03-03-2013, 07:38 AM
On both my Grand Cherokee and F150, I'm using a drop shank for the hitch. I'm not aware of anybody here whose receiver is lower than the tongue.

Oh, and my trailer is pretty stupid, too. Doesn't have sense enough to come in out of the rain. :iws:

Ken / Claudia
03-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Mine is 4 to 5 inchs lower than the hitch ht. But, than the truck and trailer are made in the US. The trailer is not stupid everytime I walk by it it says take me camping, stupid you paid for me to use.
By the way a friend purchased a Stai-able boat 23ft. in NZ had it shipped here and the trailer hitch is about same ht. has my TT and my boat. I wish we had boats built in the US as good as that one, it really takes on the Pacific Ocean unlike any other boat I have been in or owed.

GaryWT
03-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Paul, not 100% what you are saying as nothing makes sense. Ball heights are totally adjustable take the bolts out of the hitch move it up or down as needed, flip it over if needed, use a longer shaft if needed.

My last trailer was too low to the ground, dragged a lot, but road level. New Premier is using the exact same hitch and the trailer is level because the dealer adjusted it at pick up, through on the weight bars and away we go.

Cookies7276
03-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Love the comments, glad you all took it in good spirits!

Just frustrating can anyone search and find me an extended shank or drop down shank or whatever I need in nz?
I have spoken to a reputable main tow bar dealer in Auckland who has told me that any reconfigurating of a tongue from a vehicle ie custom made will detriment the braked towing capacity of the vehicle and I have no idea how the height of the hitch/coupling can help anything other than road clearance?, these shanks must be seriously strong to take the weight of a large trailer/rv behind it.

Or am I reading into this totally wrong? The towbar recommended I get a box section welded to the underside of the trailer to bring the coupling down!!

Bear with me this is all new and I am not getting much help over here!!!

Regards

Paul

Ken / Claudia
03-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Paul, let us know what trailer, tow vehicle and hitch you have. You should pull a travel trailer with a class V hitch on your vehicle. If so, go to reese hitchs on the web and look up "shank". I puchased one for my trailer several months ago. The shank with ball and wieght dist. hardware was in a package together. It was about 450 us. The idea is have the trailer level with truck backed up to it put the hitch hardware together where the ball would be towing the trailer level. Sorry, I do not have any photos. Good Luck

JRTJH
03-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Paul,

You may be having difficulty finding an adjustable shank because they are not permitted in NZ.

Different countries have differing laws concerning trailer towing and vehicle use. NZ may well have laws concerning whether an adjustable shank is allowed. I well remember my new 1972 Gran Torino station wagon when we were assigned to Turkey. They hacksawed about 6" off the tailpipe at the entry port in Iskundrin. Turkey had a law that all exhaust must be directed horizontal to the road and my tail pipe had a little bend to direct the exhaust down. We wound up with the exhaust about 4" under the car, a definite safety hazard, but it met Turkish law.....

In North America, we easily adapt to trailer ball height with an L shaped shank, simply move the hitch ball up or down and connect the trailer, but there may be more to it that makes it a difficult situation in NZ. As stated, check out the Reese Hitch site and you'll see the many options available here. Show your dealer/hitch installer the pictures, he may be able to explain any legal or other limitations you face there (if there are any).

John

SteveC7010
03-05-2013, 06:44 AM
Normal drop/raise shank for WD systems:
http://reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1600&catID=1635&part=63970

Deep drop only shank for WD systems:
http://reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=1600&catID=1635&part=63971

There are also many other sized shanks for various WD needs:
http://reeseprod.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=2&parentid=1600&catID=1635&part=0

The standard shank is rated at 14,000# towing/1,400# tongue weight. There are some stronger ones rated at 15,000#/1,500#. These are all for 2"x2" receivers.

Are these standard ratings not strong enough for you? The ratings remain the same regardless of ball platform position on the shank.

Raising or lowering ball height using an adjustable shank has NO effect whatsoever on the braked towing capacity of the vehicle. It simply eliminates nose high or nose low situations with the trailer and matches the trailer to the tow vehicle.

When we had the Dodge and the Sunline, I had to use a deep drop shank set to the lowest position to level out the trailer. That had a coupler height of about 15". The Ford I have now is a bit lower in the rear end so the center of the receiver box is about 18" from the ground. If I was still towing the Sunline, I would use a standard drop shank to set the top of the ball at about 15". I'd still have to use some drop to the get the ball platform low enough to do that. It's even possible that I'd still need to use the deep drop shank, but since the Sunline is gone, I have no way to measure that now.

Just for comparison's sake, on my wife's '11 Grand Cherokee, the center of the 2x2 receiver to the ground measures 20". The receiver sits 3" higher than the one on my 3/4 ton 4x4 truck. Using a standard drop shank, the Jeep should match up to a trailer with a 24" coupler height just fine. Imagine that.

Cookies7276
03-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Great so I chuck this expensive box in the rubbish!!!, should have bought an English caravan!

:yawn:

Cookies7276
03-15-2013, 07:21 PM
Decided to get rid of the trailer, sick to death of it, ridiculous vehicles needed to pull the thing, stupid hitch height disaster waiting to happen.

Good riddance to it, and good luck to you lot i think you will need it!!

Paul

SlowPoke
03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
I think someone needs a hug... :banghead:

f6bits
03-15-2013, 07:30 PM
I hope you're selling the clunker at half price. Someone will be thrilled to get it.

Decided to get rid of the trailer, sick to death of it, ridiculous vehicles needed to pull the thing, stupid hitch height disaster waiting to happen.

Paul

B&T
03-15-2013, 08:26 PM
ya'know if we had a restricted hitch height we sure would not have many choices out there

ThePressureIsOn
03-16-2013, 04:53 AM
They are made for large U.S. tow vehicles. Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Good luck finding something that you will enjoy.

davidjsimons
03-16-2013, 05:00 AM

Paul

The height didn't change any since you bought it. I don't know if you can blame that one on a stupid hitch height. Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cookies7276
03-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Someone will get a bargain alright!, just not overly impressed with the whole thing.
The problems I've found so far in 3 months, black water lever snapped off, black water blocked, slide out takes most of the battery's power in one hit, hitch height, tongue weight, bizarre positioning of wheels ( too far back ), battery has no cover so all corroded, no low energy lighting, underside is starting to rust everywhere.

Just all the components seem pretty cheap and chucked together.

JRTJH
03-18-2013, 06:03 AM
Cookies7276,

The Springdale is one of Keystone's most inexpensive models. It uses the same components as the more expensive names, but usually less of them. It has wooden framed walls, ceiling and floor trusses, different cabinets and doors, less insulation, aluminum siding, less plush carpeting and fewer amenities as "standard" equipment. Most of these, however, are more "plush" than any European caravan.

What is the same are the holding tank valves, some appliances, toilet, floor decking, frame height, front/rear balance (axle position) and weight per foot of length. The placement of the axles is strictly an engineering decision based on balancing the tongue weight of the RV. Moving them forward would "unload" the trailer tongue and make it unstable to tow. Remember that weight in front of the axles and aft of them is somewhat "floorplan specific" so choosing the floorplan you have does have some impact on where the axles must be placed to maintain the tongue weight in the appropriate range.

Batteries are installed by the dealer, not Keystone. A battery box is usually included with the battery by almost all USA dealers. I can easily extend and retract my slide a number of times on a single battery charge and still have remaining battery power to operate the RV overnight. It seems your problem is an undersized battery not an issue with the manufacturer. Any problem with the electrical system should be addressed with the New Zealand importer because the entire system was converted from 110 VAC (USA standard) to 220VAC (NZ standard) after it arrived in New Zealand. Additionally, some of the appliances were changed out to meet the requirements in your country and are not the ones installed by Keystone.

As for rust on the frame, early in my military career, When we were assigned overseas, our automobiles were shipped overseas on an open transport ship. After weeks of salt water splashing them, they arrived in Europe fully covered with salt water. Their useful lives were dramatically reduced by that exposure. Later in my career, that was changed by placing all automobiles being shipped in water tight containers to prevent exposure. That remains the standard today. Your RV was imported by a NZ outfitter and I'd make an honest wager that it was shipped to NZ on the open deck of a freighter, exposed to the salt air and water for the entire duration of travel. That's not a Keystone issue, that, again is the importer's issue. A slight amount of surface rust on the frame is normal, but "rusting to any significant degree" is almost always from lack of proper maintenance and/or exposure without proper cleaning afterwards.

As for no "low voltage lighting" As manufactured, there is a complete 12VDC lighting system in the RV. In fact, there are no 120/220 VAC lights anywhere in it. ALL the lights are low voltage. Whether connected to shore power or using battery power, the lighting system operates the same. If you have no "low voltage lighting" then it's because the importer either changed the lighting system or removed it and installed a different type of lights. In the USA, as manufactured by Keystone, the lighting system operates the same whether connected to shore power or using battery power. The only difference is the "limited time" on battery power vs the "unlimited time" when connected to shore power.

Almost all the issues you describe are from the conversion of the original Keystone RV at the port or the conversion facility in NZ, not from the build at Keystone. Good luck resolving your problems, but you can't point fingers at Keystone on many of the issues you face, they are a result of the conversion in NZ, not the engineering or design for use in the USA.

Cookies7276
03-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Rubbish, it has decor. straight out of the sixties, inefficient ugly lighting, borders around the van that look like someone's been sick up them.

Armchairs even your grandad wouldn't sit in and a bathroom that for the size of the van is frankly embarrassing.

God I can't wait to get rid of it.

You have to exhaust the worlds supply of everything to tow it and use it.

Smell ya later

JRTJH
03-20-2013, 07:09 AM
If you are that unhappy with your RV, then I'd have to question why you would have even considered it in the first place if it's that far away from what you were looking for. I understand your "disenchantment" with the RV, but my gawd man, didn't you even look at it before you bought it? If so, it would seem obvious that you saw the "decor straight out of the sixties", armchairs even your grandad wouldn't sit in and a bathroom that for the size of the van. I'd have to opine that if you didn't even notice those things before the sale, then it would be obvious you didn't shop very wisely. Can't well blame Keystone for any of those items if you paid your money and dragged it off the lot.

It sounds like you have a very serious case of "buyer's remorse" I hope you can get rid of your "nemesis" without much trouble.

Ken / Claudia
03-21-2013, 12:05 PM
I think that folks on here could have got him thru any problems if he said what he has for TV and TT. But, I do not think he really wants to fix or adapt anything. Makes one wonder why he purchased the trailer to begin with.

SteveC7010
03-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Me thinks there's a fair chance we've been trolled.

Ken / Claudia
03-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes I agree, old age and new computer terms, I forgot that word. 5 mins face to face I could have the truth. Well it's been several years since ago I was a Det. so maybe 10 mins.

Cookies7276
03-21-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure the last two comments are in the English language but does it not worry you with all that weight on a wee little tow ball?, I did a little experiment at the front on the hitch and it was scary how little "up force" it needed to break free why do they put such a weak hitch on the trailer?

TAZ23
03-22-2013, 01:43 AM
I'm not sure the last two comments are in the English language but does it not worry you with all that weight on a wee little tow ball?, I did a little experiment at the front on the hitch and it was scary how little "up force" it needed to break free why do they put such a weak hitch on the trailer?

The last two comments were made because its really starting to look like you just want to argue with folks. You started this thread 3 weeks ago asking for help with hitch problems and it has turned into a trailer bashing forum for you. Like JRTJH said a couple of days ago we wonder why you would even buy a trailer that you dislike so much.
As for the hitch, They are pretty much standard in the USA and Canada. there are litterally tens of thousands of travel trailers on our roads every year and they hold up quite well. I see from a previous post you say you have a Passport 2850RL. Many of the trailers on our roads are a lot heavier than that trailer and they are towed safely.