PDA

View Full Version : 50 amp power cord

5mary6
03-02-2013, 05:40 PM
So took delivery of the new 5er and pulled it 2.5 hours away for a test run. Parked it at my Dad's house in anticipation of fully hooking it up and making sure everything is operating properly. The darn power cord did not fit..It did not fit, I say it did not fit! What the heck. Now only have battery power. Anyone ever experience this before. I called the dealer and said I would be bringing it back in on my way home for another cord. They told me that another customer had complained of the same thing a few months ago.:banghead:

SteveC7010
03-02-2013, 05:47 PM
So took delivery of the new 5er and pulled it 2.5 hours away for a test run. Parked it at my Dad's house in anticipation of fully hooking it up and making sure everything is operating properly. The darn power cord did not fit..It did not fit, I say it did not fit! What the heck. Now only have battery power. Anyone ever experience this before. I called the dealer and said I would be bringing it back in on my way home for another cord. They told me that another customer had complained of the same thing a few months ago.:banghead:

It might help if you told us what didn't fit into what. It's a little difficult to know if any of us had the same problem when we don't know a little more specifically what you experienced.

5mary6
03-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Guess that would help...The power cord would not connect to the 5er. It was as if the female end on the cord with the slits for the male end posts that pertrude from the 5er, were too short (Not a wide enough slit) Two of us tried for over 30 minutes to get it connected, no joy!!!

tileman
03-02-2013, 06:06 PM
I know when we did our PDI for the trailer the shop had it plug in and working and even showed us how to plug / unplug the unit.

Sorry to hear hate to ask are you pushing it in all the way? I know on our fuzion some times it can be a pain :(

Good luck

5mary6
03-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Yes, the dealer also had their own 50amp plugged in on or PDI...No, the -plug will not plug in at all. It as if it gets the tip in on one prong and that's it. I've had other trailers where they were a tight fit b ut this is different IT DOEs not FIT ; (

chartrand
03-02-2013, 06:43 PM
I know when we did our PDI for the trailer the shop had it plug in and working and even showed us how to plug / unplug the unit.

Sorry to hear hate to ask are you pushing it in all the way? I know on our fuzion some times it can be a pain :(

Good luck

Good lesson for future PDI's

5mary6
03-02-2013, 08:21 PM
I tried pushing it in for a half of an hour and there was no way

Drew Waller
03-03-2013, 07:28 AM
Go to Walmart or someone who has electrical stuff and ask for a 50 amp adapter to a 30 amp plug in. There are 2 or three different configurations you will have to buy to plug into all the different camp grounds you will visit. A warning though! If you step down because of minimal electric at the facility you will have problems running all your electric appliances. Watch out for over heating your wire coming into the camper. I just use the small 110 hookup to use my battery stuff......no A/C. If the camper came with a 50 amp line there is a reason!

KenBob
03-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Post some pics of the cable end and the receptacle on the RV so we might see a problem.

5mary6
03-03-2013, 02:32 PM
When doing our PDI, the dealer used their 50 amp connection with pigtail to 30amp. When I try to use mine, the posts coming from the trailer actually makes a scuff/indentation on the plastic portion of the power cord female opening, on one of the slits. I think the slits are not wide enough for some reason. Due to the fact the dealer used one for the PDI would lead me to believe I could grab any other 50 amp cord or pigtail and it would work, I'll let you all know tomorrow the outcome.

JRTJH
03-03-2013, 05:04 PM
A 50 amp cord is upwards of $100 so even if you do get a 50/30 amp adapter and a 30 amp cord, make sure the dealer squares it all away with you

Ayotte
03-05-2013, 06:43 AM
Are you sure that you are lining the pug up properly. It is a twist lock plug and it can only go in one way. One of the prongs should have a lip on it that matches one prong in the cord. Just a thought.

5mary6
03-05-2013, 04:11 PM
ya, took the cord to the dealer, it worked in two different 5ers. They gave me another cord and I took it to my 5er and it DID NOT work either. The posts may be messed up. Taking the 5er in tomorrow.

mhs4771
03-05-2013, 04:45 PM
Are you sure the Dealer gave you the correct cord?? Is it a 50 amp or 30 amp cord, not sure about Cougars, but a lot of the newer 5ers have 50 amp service?? The 50 will have four blades while the 30 will only have three, but the basic twist lock plug will look similar on the outside. Just a thought.

Terry W.
03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
MY 2012 Alavanche 330RE is 50 amp, 2 A/C and has a 3 blade female connectot for the camper end and 4 blade for the campground end.

SteveC7010
03-05-2013, 05:23 PM
MY 2012 Alavanche 330RE is 50 amp, 2 A/C and has a 3 blade female connectot for the camper end and 4 blade for the campground end.

The trailer end is really four lines. 3 are blades and the fourth (ground) is a broad metal contact on the outside of the cylinder body of the connector.

http://marinco.com/product/50a-125250v-locking-female-connector

http://marinco.com/files/img_main/products/6364CRV-CMYK-04.jpg

5mary6
03-05-2013, 09:00 PM
well mine has 3 blades and the metal plate. IT JUST DOES NOT FIT. It is 50 amp for sure. Im taking the 5er in to the dealer in the morning to let them figure it out.

crash
03-06-2013, 03:18 AM
That sucks ,you never know whats going to happen when you head out to the next adventure:eek:we also use a 50 to 30 to 15 amp adaptors at home just to keep everything charged up.happy camping:USA::party:

Bob Landry
03-06-2013, 06:13 AM
Adapters for various power sources are good to have, because you don't know what you are going to run into. The suggestion of using an adapter to "make it work" would be unacceptable to me. 50A components are not cheap. I would let the dealer sort it out. A defect in the manufacture of the power cord is possible, but the probability of getting two cords with the same problem, while possible, is unlikely. The bright side is that you can have a nice trip and gain some experience towing your new toy.

Another possibility. There are two different 50A plug configuration and it's possible the wrong one was installed on your trailer and the dealer picked the adapter off his rack that would fit and called it good. One is 50A/240V and the other is 50A/125V. I've run into that with boat owners who have moved to a different marina to find that their power cord was not compatible with the new power pedestal.

Also, the original post was not clear if the plug prongs matched the outlet and simply wouldn't push in or if the plug/outlet just didn't match. The two different 50A configurations are also different sizes to prevent plugging into the wrong type of power source and causing an overload.

fla-gypsy
03-06-2013, 06:38 AM
It would appear that the cord and the plug are a mismatched set. Should not be that hard to figure out with a close examination.

rhagfo
03-06-2013, 09:37 AM
It would appear that the cord and the plug are a mismatched set. Should not be that hard to figure out with a close examination.
Sounds like the socket is 4 blade and the plug is three, but it also sounds like they have compared the two.

The one on my Sprinter is four blade on both ends.

hankpage
03-06-2013, 10:18 AM
Both the plug and outlet should have a NEMA designations on them that must match.

Such as NEMA CS6364 F (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA10Z0K65358&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-_-pla-_-Generator+Parts+%26+Accessories-_-9SIA10Z0K65358).

5mary6
03-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Ok so I took the 5er down to the dealer. The cord did not fit. he bent, pulled, pushed the posts coming from the 5er and could not get it to work. They told me to unhook and they would order the part but before I could unhook, the guy GOT IT> He bent to post a little different direction and it worked. I grabbed the cord, got it inserted a dozen times. Happy camper here now! I told him I was not about to do that before bringing it in because my luck is that I would have broken it and then I would be screwed!!!! So it is fixed. Thanks for all the info guys!!!"bouncey:

rclark
03-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Here is a link for Information about RV electrical hook up. Good info and easy to understand for novice. http://www.myrv.us/electric/

harpoon
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Here is a link for Information about RV electrical hook up. Good info and easy to understand for novice. http://www.myrv.us/electric/

Wow, that's a great link. Thank you for providing it.