PDA

View Full Version : 2006 ram2500

rhminva
03-01-2013, 06:09 AM
I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 RAM 2500 Quad cab/long bed. The current owner is a friend and has added the leveling kit (raise the front end level with the back) and some extra leaf springs on the rear end. The result is a small lift for the entire truck.

I'm hoping someone might have some experience with this truck and could provide some feedback. It has the Cummins diesel and only 57k miles. Appears to be well mainained. I have heard the transmissions can be problematic, but that may be with earlier years. I believe it has the 4 speed Auto. (5 speed Auto's were introduced with a next gen cummins)

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

davidjsimons
03-01-2013, 06:23 AM
I have had a lot of experience with these trucks. Have owned over twenty of them. The biggest issue in regard to the automatic transmission is to do a complete system flush around every 25,000 miles using ONLY MOPAR FLUID. Many people will tell you that their fluid is just as good. Perhaps it is, but I've never had a premature transmission failure using my method. By premature, I mean anything under 200,000 working miles, not hauling dog food and groceries. The 2006 has the tried and true 5.9, it's all but bullet proof. It sounds like a great truck given the mileage. I would have no hesitations buying it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jables
03-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Make sure the bands stay in adjustment. I work on these all the time. 48re is a great mortgage helper for me. With maintanence they will hold up much better. Just because that engine and truck feel like they never struggle doesn't mean the trans is happy at all times. Decent trucks over all. Just a bit maintenance heavy.

davidjsimons
03-01-2013, 06:43 AM
Make sure the bands stay in adjustment. I work on these all the time. 48re is a great mortgage helper for me. With maintanence they will hold up much better. Just because that engine and truck feel like they never struggle doesn't mean the trans is happy at all times. Decent trucks over all. Just a bit maintenance heavy.
Maintaining is the key.

Jim W
03-01-2013, 07:00 AM
I have offered this too many users on different Cummins web sites some read the book and others don’t. I would suggest that you read the following pages in “Turbo Diesel Buying Guide” from Turbo Diesel Register.Com. The pages are 16, 39, 118-121, 181-205 and 215 these will explain what to look for on the 2006MY of truck; the PDF booklet also list any TSB and recall too. The Booklet is free and is downloadable from their web site and can be stored on your computer for future use.
Hope this helps?

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/m...ersguide.phtml

The next gen trucks had a 6sped auto not a 5sped auto with the Cummins 6.7L engine.

Jim W.

rnkburg
03-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Looks like there is a new link. This is what you get

Recently we discovered that the software we were using to make the forum url's English readable had a potential malware vulnerability. We chose to disable that software. The result is that none of the existing forum links work now. This also applies to all links within threads as well.

You can get to the main forum directory at www.turbodieselregister.com/forums (or use the menus at the top of the website). From there you can find all of the old threads. None of them are gone, but all of the links have changed.

We know this is an inconvenience, and we apologize. But we took this step to protect both the site and our users from malware.

Thank you for your continued support of the Turbo Diesel Register.

Steve St. Laurent
Webmaster

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Jim W
03-01-2013, 07:17 AM
Try this one I just dowm loaded.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/magazines/buyersguide.phtml

If this doesn’t work use the main link that was given and slide the mouse over to TDR magazine. A drop down menu will show and slide down to Buyer’s Guide click here and the PDF booklet will show up.

Jim W.

rhminva
03-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick replys. I took a look at the buyers guide, thanks! These trucks definately seem to hold their value. I don't think this truck in particular has seen a great deal of towing. If I decide to buy it, I'll post some pictures. It is definately a good looking truck.

EcoboostKev
03-01-2013, 08:02 AM
You will be pleasantly surprised when you hook up and tow for the first time!:)
I have heard people are getting 20mpg with the 5.9L Cummins. You have no emissions crap to deal with either and with only 57,000 miles on it she isn't even broken in yet! Best of luck with it.

Kevin

SAABDOCTOR
03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
THAT TRUCK IF WELL MAINTAINED oops did not mean to yell! will give you great service. i also flush my transmission once a year < 25,000 miles i use a good qulity atf. I have hauled lots of dog food two 100lb+ malamutes. plus my oversize butt! with no issues. you will love it check it over carefully before you buy. Goodluck hope you enjoy it:D P.S. this one leads a good life! no snow plow like my 2000 td did. that truck has 300k and is going strong with my son in GA;)

Cougarfamily
03-01-2013, 11:19 AM
We were happy with our's ('06 quad swb) for the most part. DW and kids didn't like how uncomfortable the rear seats were on long trips. Didn't have a lot of problems with the engine itself.

With only 4 speeds, the engine was really spun up and noisey over 60 mph. I only tested the milage once when unloaded, and we got 22mpg, but pulling our 26' tt, it gave us between 10 and 11.5 on different occaions.

I believe the truck you are looking at seems to be a good deal. If I were to buy another Ram w/CTD, that would be the year that I would get due to the 5.9. Plus, that was my favoite nose styling of all the Rams, including the new ones. Just wish it had more speeds in the tranny.

rhminva
03-09-2013, 03:43 PM
Well, I couldn't resist, and picked it up today. It's a one owner truck that has really been taken care of. Here are the pictures, they were taken with my iPhone in low light so not the best.

Cougarfamily
03-09-2013, 03:53 PM
She's a beauty! Congrats.

jbsmith
03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't count on 20 mpg highway! Just sayin' unless you are absolutely convinced the mpg display is accurate. (Unlikely.)

On the interstate running about 60-65 the display is off about 6-7 mpg (shows 24-25 mpg) but tracking with fuelly.com shows best case about 17-17.5 mpg. The gauge seems more accurate when towing heavy...off only about 1-2 mpg. City and short trips hurt, especially in the winter; I get 10-14 mpg depending on lights and a pathological love of a whistling turbo. :). Towing our 331MKS I get 10-11 mpg.

Love my 5.9L, but the tranny does shift odd sometimes. I had a TSB replacement of the pressure solenoid about a year ago. Changed the pan so I could do more convenient (less messy) fluid changes after longer or more strenuous towing.

hankpage
03-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Good luck with the new truck. Before they decided to ruin diesel fuel my overhead was within 1mpg + or -. Now as mentioned I'm about - 2 all the time. (don't know why) But solo hwy now I do get over 21mpg and have averaged 16.8 towing on one 1250 mile trip. Normal towing for the same trip is between 13.5 and 14.5 since the truck was new. These are all calculated figures. The truck is stock. My advantages are mine is 2wd and I have a finely tuned right foot. You now own one of the best mileage tow vehicles but it is up to you to find it's sweat spot. Experiment with tire pressure and speed to find what works for you. You are going to love that truck ..... enjoy, Hank

1bacamaro
03-12-2013, 05:52 PM
I owned a 06 and I got 20mpg with mine. If you can't get 20 you drive like mad. Mine did have a tuner which does help a lot with mpg. I have a 2011 dodge dually now that I deleted and it gets 18mpg. You will love the truck. I owned them all and that cummins tows the best.

Mike L123
03-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Ya done good! The 48RE trans will treat you well as long as you take care of it. Use ONLY Dodge prescribed ATF +4 and nothing else - no matter how good the sales pitch is for the other stuff. Even though the RAM has an on board trans temp idiot light you may think about and aftermarket trans temp guage so that you can actually see if you temps are getting up there a little. Some have reported that based on the flash point temp of trans oil that by the time the idiot light comes to life damage has already been done.

Cheers!

Mike

muddynoll
03-13-2013, 02:22 AM
Congratulations. Thats a beautiful truck. That will pull your camper with no problem. I loved my Ram, they are great trucks. As said above use only use ATF+4 in it and keep the bands adjusted and you will be good.

rhagfo
03-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Well have an 01 and only 200,000 more miles, and both the truck and engine are still like new.
With this we pull a 11,000# 5er, and it pulls great.
You will be happy with your first tow.

zuley
03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
To back up what was said previously you "must" use ATF Plus 4 in the tranny on this thing and any other goat past the mid 90's. Chrysler came out with this product for their own vehicle use as did all of the other manufactures. Each manufacturer add their own additives specific to the operation of their own vehicles. There are various generic products out there that Billy Bob down at the corner parts store will tell you that will work in everything. They dont!! I order Plus 4 into my shop 6 skids at a time and sell it to the various trans shops in our area.

Jables
03-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Weird, I've put Mobil ATF +4 in every Chrysler I've built for the 10 or so years it's been out. Never had a problem. I agree the additive pack may not be exactly the same as Chryslers, but lets not forget that Mopar isn't an oil company either.

davidjsimons
03-13-2013, 02:09 PM
MoPar isn't an oil company but they do have their own engineers and the MoPar fluid is crafted to the exact speciations for the tolerances of their units. It is a matter of experience and comfort that prompts me to continue the use of nothing but MoPar fluid for heavy to severe duty use of an automatic transmission. The Mobil fluid may well serve you well.

zuley
03-13-2013, 06:08 PM
I was merely suggesting if you own a goat make sure you use Plus 4 in the transmission and not some gereric "one bottle fits all" product. The same goes for your Ford or GM product. And as far as Mobil/ Mopar, I suspect they are the same product in the bottle as Imperial up until recently packaged the Mopar product. Unfortunately we have switched to Penzoil recently.

IA Farmer
03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
Excellent find. Truck looks very clean, and the stance looks good. But don't expect great mileage for a while as I am alomst certain you won't be able to keep your right foot off the go pedel.

SAD
03-22-2013, 02:43 AM
Weird, I've put Mobil ATF +4 in every Chrysler I've built for the 10 or so years it's been out. Never had a problem. I agree the additive pack may not be exactly the same as Chryslers, but lets not forget that Mopar isn't an oil company either.

MoPar isn't an oil company but they do have their own engineers and the MoPar fluid is crafted to the exact speciations for the tolerances of their units. It is a matter of experience and comfort that prompts me to continue the use of nothing but MoPar fluid for heavy to severe duty use of an automatic transmission. The Mobil fluid may well serve you well.

I was merely suggesting if you own a goat make sure you use Plus 4 in the transmission and not some gereric "one bottle fits all" product. The same goes for your Ford or GM product. And as far as Mobil/ Mopar, I suspect they are the same product in the bottle as Imperial up until recently packaged the Mopar product. Unfortunately we have switched to Penzoil recently.

Just to add a thought to these comments. There is no MOPAR, Toyota, FoMoCo, or Yamalube refinery. :eek:

Roughly 50% of "my big evil oil company" revenue is from "Unbranded Marketing"-> IE - Joe-Bob's gas station, Car Manufacturer Brand Oil.

"We" are one of the largest refiners in the US. I suspect that the other major big evil oil company revenue stream is similar.

davidjsimons
03-22-2013, 02:58 AM
I've had the same experience with PTO pumps on my John Deere and New Holland equipment. Use something other than Hy-Gaurd in a John Deere or 134A in a New Holland, and you will be buying a pump in your near future. John Deere nor New Holland are oil companies but their fluids are system matched to the tolerances of their units.