PDA

View Full Version : Corn Hole

crash
02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
How many of you carry corn hole games with you?We do and we love drinking and play corn hole:party::USA:

Festus2
02-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Crash -
I am guessing that you must be far younger than me am since the descriptor of that game meant something totally different "way back when". ;)

Based on its ancient meaning, I would never, ever play such a game! Drink, for sure but I think I'll just watch you young folks play "that" game. :D Or perhaps the "game" is not really suitable for public viewing....Can I take a peek?

2011 keystone
02-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Crash -
I am guessing that you must be way younger than I am since the descriptor of that game meant something totally different "way back when". ;)

Based on its ancient meaning, I would never, ever play such a game! Drink, for sure but I think I'll just watch you young folks play "that" game. :D

Your post is very funny to me because the first time I heard of the game was when we where camping and our neighbor campers came over to our sight and asked hey would you like to play corn hole:eek:

My DW later that day told me the look on my face was totally priceless:rofl:

But to answer the OP question yes we do have a corn hole set and like you the game is always better with a adult beverage.

DJ85
02-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Festus you can relax!!! :eek: They are bean bags fill with corn that you throw at a piece of plywood with a hole cut into for the bags to fall through. Kind of like horse shoes if you will. It's a piece of plywood usual about a 2x4 sheet and it as a frame to make it set at a 30 degree angle to the ground. And yes I am old enough to know what you were thinking. :D

Festus2
02-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Oh! Now I get it! Bean Bag Toss..... a great game of skill requiring a high level of hand-eye co-ordination and accuracy. I've even played it but was found lacking in both. We called them bean bags since they were filled with dried beans not corn. Somehow "Bean Bag Toss" sounds a bit more ........ socially acceptable. Sorry, we don't carry the corn/bean filled bags nor the plywood target. The only corn and beans we carry are the edible kind.

DJ85
02-28-2013, 12:16 PM
Just remember that good old Waylon Jennings Song. :cool: Wish Coke was still cola and a joint was just a bad place to be Wish a Ford and Chev would last 10 years like they should. All I got to ask is!!!! Does everything have to change???????????????? :banghead:

Puck_Nutz
02-28-2013, 01:02 PM
Half the fun of "Corn Toss" (for the more sensitive among us) is making the boards. I'm trying to decide on the theme for my next set, it's been 2 years since I made my Boston Bruins boards and they got a bit warped when I left them out in the weather last year.

crash
02-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Sorry festus2 I should have been more clear ,I just thought that everone knew about that game:bfart:and I too know what corn hole was back in the day and no I wouldnt have played it back then.

Festus2
02-28-2013, 01:50 PM
This year, try making a Montreal Canadians' board. It will be less prone to warpage but, because they are such fast skaters, they are not easy targets to hit so you might not score as high as with your Boston board. A bit more challenging for you but far more exciting to play as Montreal is not easily scored upon (this year so far).

azlee56
02-28-2013, 01:53 PM
too funny, but yeah the group plays it...but I watch cause I am terrible at it. The difference is what is in the bag now. Corn filled bags and the object is to put them in the hole ...thus "corn hole" (at first I cracked up at the name). Bean bags were filled with beans and we threw them on flat ground marked up.

The other thing they play is left, right, center and the balls game. I think it could be called ladders too, but you have a cord on two balls and throw them on a device that has 3 rungs to score.

zuley
02-28-2013, 01:55 PM
If you hear "Dual-ling Banjos" run!!!

Festus2
02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
azlee -

Somehow I just knew that you couldn't resist contributing to this thread :D. I am almost afraid to ask ........ just what is the name of that game with the rope, the balls and the rung? ;)

Good grief :eek: and here I thought that this was familiy-oriented forum!

crash -

Should I be consulting with the other moderators as to where this thread could possibly be heading? :confused: I'm sure you had good intentions..........Where did you go wrong?

Little Guy
02-28-2013, 02:04 PM
OMG! I could not sip/guzzle enough Maker's Mark to ever play "corn hole". "bouncey:

azlee56
02-28-2013, 02:09 PM
HA Festus, no fear kids play this game too. I went and checked and I was close, it is called ladder toss. See here on this link and you will see the balls with a string or bungy cord in the picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_toss

I have a halo on ........ really I do.

ps. if you read the different names for this game you will know that I am really behaving.

hahahaha

DJ85
02-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Down here in the south. Thats southern Illinos we call the ball and string game "Poor Man's Golf".

azlee56
02-28-2013, 02:36 PM
it isn't so easy to play either. We have had to get the balls out of trees and everything. This one guy, an extrucker, had his measuring pole and we used that to get them out of trees.

(get your mind out of the gutter now)

KanTC
02-28-2013, 03:08 PM
We play Washoes... similar to the beanbag game, but using large washers instead.
No rope between our game boards (as the link below shows)... we sure don't want anyone to trip & fall - especially those who drink adult beverages.

http://www.vu.union.edu/~brownm2/downloads/washoes.html

Yooohooo Festus... how's THAT for changing the subject? ;) I think this thread is still family friendly... at least none of our long-time members mentioned olive oil. :eek: :rofl:

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

SAD
02-28-2013, 03:11 PM
In the lawn near our campsite we play both WASHERS and CORNHOLE!!

At the picnic table, we play FARKLE :)

In my chair, I play DRINKUP.

Laredo291OH
02-28-2013, 03:13 PM
Here in Ohio, we call the "ladder toss" game hillbilly golf.

Festus2
02-28-2013, 03:30 PM
KanTC ---- thanks for trying to change the topic and get this thread back on track. It really has deteriorated and my once innocent mind is quickly being corrupted by reading about all these games you folks play. Yikes!! :eek:

And trust azlee to provide a Wikipedia link which offered some very interesting and provocative names for Ladder Toss. Poor Man's Golf being one of the more non-descript titles. I'll say no more about the alternate names for this activity.

So, to summarize "Games People Play" here on the forum we have:

1) Corn Hole aka Bean Bag Toss aka Hillbilly Golf
2) Washoes aka Red Neck Horseshoes
3) Ladder Toss aka Poor Man's Golf, aka a lot of other unmentionable titles.
4) Farkle aka ????? I don't want to know what goes on at the picnic table
5) Drink Up --- the only sensible thing I've heard all day!

Mmmmm, all of this talk about games is stressing me out. When is it all going to end? Time for a beverage - one of those adult types. I'm off to the fridge and then going to play Solitaire. "bouncey:

geo
02-28-2013, 03:34 PM
We play Washoes... similar to the beanbag game, but using large washers instead.
No rope between our game boards (as the link below shows)... we sure don't want anyone to trip & fall - especially those who drink adult beverages.

http://www.vu.union.edu/~brownm2/downloads/washoes.html

Yooohooo Festus... how's THAT for changing the subject? I think this thread is still family friendly... at least none of our long-time members mentioned olive oil. :eek: :rofl:

Terri -
That snowstorm moved up north, so JRTJH might not be able to login. But I'm sure there's a use for Olive Oil here. You know, the Oil would probably enrich and protect the wood game board. At least that's what I'll claim! :D

Ron

SAD
02-28-2013, 04:01 PM
FARKLE -> http://www.elversonpuzzle.com/farkle.html

:)

azlee56
02-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Lol geo, those corn hole boards are slick enough as is! Festus, I didn't write the article lol.

DJ85
02-28-2013, 07:24 PM
I'm sure that coat of olive oil would make the corn bags slide across the surface too easy and keep things from sticking. :D couldn't help it it's just to funny ;)

On the lighter side we play farkle alot. Me and my wife play all weekend and see who wins the most games and the loser has to do what the winners wants. Funny when my wife wins she gets what she wants, but when I win I never get what I WANT. :confused: I might have to do with what I want? Nah I pretty sure thats not the problem!!!!! :D

pedalsteelpicker
02-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Just remember that good old Waylon Jennings Song. :cool: Wish Coke was still cola and a joint was just a bad place to be Wish a Ford and Chev would last 10 years like they should. All I got to ask is!!!! Does everything have to change???????????????? :banghead:

actually is was Merle Haggard that had this tune (sorry)

KanTC
02-28-2013, 10:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxLtXJzo3Ew
About the 2:00 minute mark

Our forum members are proof that there's still "good times"... camping with family & friends, and traveling
far & near while towing an RV. ;) That's GOOD times!!

And silly discussion about camping games sure helps ward off cabin fever too, huh?

PS Geo, I'm not gonna say nuttin'... we'll BOTH end up in the 'time-out corner'! :rofl:

JRTJH
02-28-2013, 11:43 PM
YOOOO HOOOOOO, after finding places to stack another 6" of that white stuff. any kind of game played on a warm sunny afternoon would be nice no matter what you care to call it... as for drinking, well, with the snow that's supposed to fall tonight I don't want a hangover or even a headache when I try to find another "storage spot" for more of it..... :eek:

Geo and KanTC.... I tried to pour some olive oil, but the stuff is so cold it won't come out of the bottle :D

OK, off to sleep, the tractor is cooling down and the furnace is hopefully going to keep up LOL

Night all :yawn:

SAABDOCTOR
03-01-2013, 11:05 AM
gee John sorry to hear about more white stuff! my tractor is napping nicely temp almost hit 40:p.I'm sorry ain't no way i am wastin olive oil on a pice of wood! that goes into a nice dish of pasta with garlic and oil and sauted egg plant:D also the rules of marrage... if she wins you do what she wants. you win you do what she wants or you really loose:D

JRTJH
03-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Well stated, Barney. That's been the rules around our house for almost 45 years... The other 2 were my painful years while I learned the "final rule" <sigh>

It's up to 22 today, so we're getting a "heat wave" too.... Fortunately no new "white glory" for the next 24 hours or so. At least that's what they say, but with the winds out of the northwest, lake affect snow is alway a good probability..... So far today, I'm thinking I should have had some of that "liquid refreshment" last night. I've had time to recover from the headache.... :banghead:

tomsws6
03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
Crash -
I am guessing that you must be far younger than me am since the descriptor of that game meant something totally different "way back when". ;)

Based on its ancient meaning, I would never, ever play such a game! Drink, for sure but I think I'll just watch you young folks play "that" game. :D Or perhaps the "game" is not really suitable for public viewing....Can I take a peek?

LMAO!!! I think we all thought the same thing! Actually once I got over the name and the definition I thought it was a real stupid game... "Im 30 yrs old, I dont play games like that anymore.." Well after our first camping trip I was hooked cause its alot harder than what you think.. Anyway its a big deal were we go.. We always have tournements that last into the the late night and usually involves most of the camp ground! We usually have 4 or 5 sets set up and have big portable lights when it gets dark. Oh and lots, lots, lots and lots of grown up drinks!!! Its a blast!

JRTJH
03-01-2013, 01:15 PM
LOL That "corn thing game " (I still can't bring myself to use that name in public) seems to be, more or less, a "OSHA approved" game of horseshoes. From what I can see, it's pretty much the same skill set, but if a drunk (OOPS, imbiber of adult beverages) happens to walk between the "stakes" they probably won't wind up in the hospital. Try that with a 2 lb horseshoe flying through the air..... ;)

Puck_Nutz
03-01-2013, 01:20 PM
This year, try making a Montreal Canadians' board. It will be less prone to warpage but, because they are such fast skaters, they are not easy targets to hit so you might not score as high as with your Boston board. A bit more challenging for you but far more exciting to play as Montreal is not easily scored upon (this year so far).

Great Idea... only instead of Cornhole Boards, we'll have to call them Diving Boards. Whenever someone gets a shot in the vicinity the boards will topple over and pretend to be broken. I was thinking about theming them after Carey Price, but I'd have to cut too many holes in them.

I was going to take a couple of shots here at PK Subban, but honestly, I'd love to see him in Black and Gold. I just hate him as a Hab. :)

hankpage
03-01-2013, 01:29 PM
I have honestly tried my best to be good and stay away from this thread, BUT, with all this talk about "Corn Holes" and "Farkles" and then some "EVOO" thrown in .... Here I am. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1116
As others have said I was first turned off by the name but do enjoy the Corn Hole game and the beverages that go very well with it.
I have never been Farkled (to my knowledge) and I don't think I want to be in the future, so I will not pass judgment on that one and will save the olive oil for my salad.
I know that my posting made Festus2 nervous but I think I controlled myself. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1107 Hank

azlee56
03-01-2013, 02:14 PM
As long as I can take the punishment, it is kind of fun to make Festus nervous...but never disgraced!

I'm bad, but never mean harm. You did well hankpage. I have to look up a couple of the other games to see if they interest me. My favorite is the left, right center game.

Festus2
03-01-2013, 02:28 PM
azlee and gang -

You guys are all heart and I am humbled to learn that no one is out to disgrace me. :) I feel soooooo much better now. This thread has been very enlightening. I've been told that learning is a lifelong process.

Puck Nutz - Ouch !!!! You really know how to hurt a guy. I'm at a loss for words but your turn will come. ;)

wbatto
03-28-2013, 05:20 PM
All this corn hole talk reminds me of what happened to a frend of mine. He said he couldn't find one of the bags for his corn hole game at the end of summer last year and figured one of his kids lost it. Summer came to a close and he winterized his camper. When he closed up his tip-outs he didn't look on top of them as his camping lot was in the middle of a field. Later in early March he decided to go Trout Fishing and stay in his camper. He said there was a four foot icicle hanging from his tip-out inside the camper and the carpet was all soaked. Upon inspection of his tip-out he found the missing corn hole bag between the tip-out seal and the camper. It took two weeks too dry it out.......... Moral of the story, always check the tip-outs roofs before closing.:banghead:

davidcyndi
03-28-2013, 06:00 PM
I have a custom set from http://customcorntoss.com/
My boards have the Texas flag on them and custom corn toss embroidered my bags with my name on them for free. Was pretty cool. They are really heavy though like 75lbs so haven't taken them on a trip yet. Plus 4 bikes in the bed kind of takes up all the room plus a cooler.

Badboy
03-29-2013, 03:41 AM
I always have my game with us"bouncey: "bouncey:

hankaye
03-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Howdy All;

Any of you 'Joisey' or Eastern Pa. folks ever play Quoits ???

http://www.usqa.org/rules/rules.htm

hankaye

jsmith948
03-30-2013, 07:27 AM
Howdy All;

Any of you 'Joisey' or Eastern Pa. folks ever play Quoits ???

http://www.usqa.org/rules/rules.htm

hankaye

Yes, played quoits when we were in grade school back in NW N.J.
Kind of a safe version of horseshoes. Boards were at an angle and we threw hard rubber 'doughnuts'. Many, many years ago!:)

hankaye
03-30-2013, 09:14 AM
jsmith948, Howdy;

Yes, played quoits when we were in grade school back in NW N.J.
Kind of a safe version of horseshoes. Boards were at an angle and we threw hard rubber 'doughnuts'. Many, many years ago!:)

Naaaah, I'm talking about 'Grown-up' Quoits.
The nice metal ones ya chunk at a pit like horseshoes ...

http://quoitpits.com/

"bouncey:, "bouncey:, "bouncey:

hankaye

labs4life
03-30-2013, 09:35 AM
When I was a youngster, I watched my dad play washers. Like horseshoes, almost. He would dig a hole with his pocket knife slightly larger than a 3" fender washer, each player tossed four times at the hole. Trick was playing in hard dirt and throwing the washer flat and it would slide to the hole. Fun times for the grown ups.

Dogman
03-31-2013, 03:07 AM
We love the game. It is a great way to meet other campers when the board comes out so do other campers. In no time at all we will have 2 or 3 other couples playing.

geo
04-01-2013, 06:08 AM
Just when you thought it was safe to venture out in your X-wing . . .

Death Star Trench Toss!

Yes, it is the Star Wars version of "cornhole"! Be sure to click on the video below the game picture for a short game being played! It is not a video to miss! And why not, just click on the "Buy Now", what matter the price, after all, just don't complete the sale! :D :D :D

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f489/?cpg=53219300&msg_id=53219300&et_rid=508467778&linkid=53219300_headline_f489

And, may the Force be with you!

Ron

And, let me say, I am not associated with Thinkgeek except for being a customer. I receive nothing from the above, well, except a chuckle.

labs4life
04-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Just when you thought it was safe to venture out in your X-wing . . .

Death Star Trench Toss!

Yes, it is the Star Wars version of "cornhole"! Be sure to click on the video below the game picture for a short game being played! It is not a video to miss! And why not, just click on the "Buy Now", what matter the price, after all, just don't complete the sale! :D :D :D

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f489/?cpg=53219300&msg_id=53219300&et_rid=508467778&linkid=53219300_headline_f489

And, may the Force be with you!

Ron

And, let me say, I am not associated with Thinkgeek except for being a customer. I receive nothing from the above, well, except a chuckle.

Ummmm! Yea that was hilarious!!!! The dance moves were awesome!!!

JRTJH
04-01-2013, 07:37 AM
I would have ordered the Jedi Family decals if my kids still lived at home, but it gets to be too confusing adding "missing children" and then even more confusing when trying to decide where to stick the grandkids and their pets... <sigh> What to do, what to do????

Thanks Geo, at least these toys don't require EVOO ROFLM*O