PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Camp Site Setup

Ericc57
02-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Hello, We decided to give a seasonal campsite a try for a summer. I was just curious what any of you do as far as leveling the travel trailer for the summer. I see quite a few up on cinder blocks etc. I was curious as to the benefit of doing that. Is or are there any issues just using the landing jacks. Even though its seasonal we will probably take the trailer on the road a couple times throughout the summer so I don't want to do anything very permanent. Any other tips/tricks for seaonal camping would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time.

2011 Keystone Laredo 303TG

x96mnn
02-27-2013, 04:17 PM
My first camping season we set up at a seasonal site and hauled out a few times. I set it up no different then I do at a regular site. Used blocks to level the camper via tires and the stabilizers to take te shake out. The full timers used the cinder blocks where we were at to completely remove rocking motion.

laidback
02-27-2013, 05:20 PM
We are full-timers, usauly spend about 5 month's at time in one place. I just use the jacks and the stabilizers. If I were never going to move the trailer I might consider blocks.

TAZ23
02-28-2013, 01:30 AM
We did the same thing last year. We put the trailer on a seasonal site but wanted the ability to move it and use it during the summer. The blocks under the frame make it more stable (no spring bounce or rock) but would make it harder to move the trailer if you wanted to go on a trip because to set it up you need to jack up the frame,put the blocks under it and then let the frame come down on the blocks so the tires and springs are not supporting the trailer. What we did instead was we bought a set of screw jacks from Wallyworld (they come in a set of four for under 30 bucks). We use the Travel trailers tongue jack and corner jacks as you would at any campsite but then put the four screw jacks just ahead of and behind the axles and the result is a stable trailer that can be moved very easily. If you want to move the trailer occasionally, stay away from building a deck. We have a couple of rolls of astro turf (8'x10')that we got at Home Depot) under the awning to keep the patio area mud free.We also built a small platform(4'x4') with steps that make it much easier to get in and out of the trailer. The steps and platform are not anchored in the ground but sit on wood blocks and can be moved very easily and put back once you bring the trailer back. We leave them at the site for our occasional trips. Because our trailer was on site and set up all the time we were able to use it most every week end. We left it plugged in and the fridge on. On Friday afternoon when I got home from work we would just throw the suitcase, cooler, and dogs in the truck and in a hour and a half would be building building a campfire and having a cool one:D

SAABDOCTOR
02-28-2013, 06:32 AM
WE also set up for the summer. nothing special just use the x chocks and some orange level blocks. and 6x6 blocks of wood under the front landing gear. no deck and we also have a 4x4 platform about 2 inches high under the entry steps! on friday eve as soon as we get home from work the dogs and their staff... that would be us head up it's about an hour and fourty min. from home but the cell phone somehow won't work peace and quiet and adult beverages around the fire. just can't beat that!:D:cool:

Ericc57
03-23-2013, 05:32 PM
Thanks for everyones input. Now if we could get rid of this snow and start camping!