PDA

View Full Version : stabilizers

scott32265
02-21-2013, 08:30 AM
I just ordered the steady fast stabilizers for my springdale 296bhssr and was wondering what additional items you guys use for stabilization. Our first couple of trips were pretty shaky. This camper has the lippert power stabilizers and i was hoping someone here maybe has the same set up and could help me get it as stable as possible. Thanks, Scott

Comptech
02-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I just ordered the BAL type stabilizers... looks to be about the same setup but was cheaper, I ordered three sets, two for the front and one for the rear...

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-23216-Lock-Arm-Stabilizing-Bar/dp/B001UGNJ60/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361474984&sr=8-1&keywords=bal+stabilizer

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-jacks/bal-lockbar-stabilizer.htm

So I added pictures... I still have a lot of movement side to side in the rear of the 5er.... Any ideas?(tx)

JeffS
02-21-2013, 11:37 AM
I installed the Steady Fast stabilizers on my Cougar 26SAB 5th Wheel this summer. We spent 5 weeks on the road and never felt the need for anything else to stabilize the 5er.

Comptech
02-21-2013, 12:23 PM
To all,
Do the stabilizers tend to eliminate the need for the tripod on the king pin? I know mine is a pain to set up and really does not do much..

SteveC7010
02-21-2013, 12:33 PM
To all,
Do the stabilizers tend to eliminate the need for the tripod on the king pin? I know mine is a pain to set up and really does not do much..

There are already several extensive threads on the Steady Fast/BAL stabilizer systems with a lot of discussion about no longer needing the fifth wheel tripod.
I suggest you use the search function and read them over. Your question is already answered many times over.

Comptech
02-21-2013, 12:42 PM
There are already several extensive threads on the Steady Fast/BAL stabilizer systems with a lot of discussion about no longer needing the fifth wheel tripod.
I suggest you use the search function and read them over. Your question is already answered many times over.

Steve,
Noted.... I just thought since the thread already got started I would jump on the train... (tx)

Festus2
02-21-2013, 01:01 PM
Steve is quite correct --- there is an abundance of information about stabilizers already here on the forum and we would just be repeating ourselves. I have a tripod and have found it to be ineffective as well as a nuisance to carry around and store. If you can afford the stabilizers, go for it.

Rusty
02-21-2013, 01:16 PM
I have actually found a do-it-yourself option that works very well. I am thinking about doing it myself.

Not sure if you guys will allow me to post a link to this guys project. Saves you a bundle versus the JT Strongarms.

Festus2
02-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Rusty -
As long as his site is not his place of business or he is an employee of this business you will be ok. Also, if this stabilizer was made as a single project and he isn't "producing" them for sale, posting a link to it should be ok.

It might be also worthwhile to get the fellow's permission for you to post the link.

Rusty
02-21-2013, 01:41 PM
Rusty -
As long as his site is not his place of business or he is an employee of this business you will be ok. Also, if this stabilizer was made as a single project and he isn't "producing" them for sale, posting a link to it should be ok.

It might be also worthwhile to get the fellow's permission for you to post the link.

I found it on another forum while I was "Googling" 5er Stabilizers last year. He is not making any money off of it and only wants to share his knowledge with others to save them money.

I will see if I can get permission form him as he does have a few pictures of his procedure.

byrdr1
02-21-2013, 01:48 PM
I know I have made comments on the Steadyfast stablizer system on the other thread and I had pictures on webshots of my install. But to help you out I have enjoyed my steadyfast system. very solid in my opinion. I still use the tripod for week long trips and at home. the thing with the tripod is it keeps me from running into the kingpin and the grease it carries. at home it keeps the kids from running/driving up under the 5th wheel overhang with their cars.
randy

Rusty
02-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Message sent....out!

scott32265
02-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I hope that the steady fast does the trick for me as well. My wife is very prone to motion sickness so she feels every movement. We tend to have a crowd with us when we camp, usually 6 adults at once in the camper so someone is constantly moving around. I took a look at the BAL between the tire chocks and wondered if there might be any added benefit to having them as well. Just want to make it as solid as possible for her. You know what they say, when mammas not happy!!!:D

Festus2
02-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Rusty -
Go ahead and post the link.

Rusty
02-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Rusty -
Go ahead and post the link.

Thank you Festus.

Do you want me to post a new thread? Or post the link here in this thread?

Festus2
02-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Rusty -
You might as well post it here. This thread is about stabilizers so we're not changing topics.

Htfiremedic
02-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Please pass this along! My fiver has the shakes as well!!

Rusty
02-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Thank you Festus.

Here is the thread. I messaged the individual and he is more then happy to see this info passed on.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f44/the-ultimate-5er-stabilizers-101153.html

B&T
02-21-2013, 08:38 PM
Current stabilizer system made at home --On-The-Cheap :)

2-10ft sections of 1/2" conduit from Lowes ~$4
6- C-Clamps on sale at Harbor freight for a buck apiece.

I cut the first conduit into 2, 5ft sections, flattened the ends with a hammer and use them to brace the front stabilizer jacks on each side of the trailer to the frame. For each side, one clamp on the edge of the trailer frame, the other clamp to the bottom of the stabilizer jack.

For the rear, i used the second conduit cut to ~ 8ft between the edge of the trailer frame on the curb side to the bottom of the stabilizer jack on the street side, using a clamp on each end (this really calmed side to side movement).

For me, this started out as just as test to see how well a triangular bracing system would work to stop the trailer movement. I ended up being quite happy with the results and I had invested only $10. The ease of setup and storage is not up there with the manufactured stabilizer systems but the price was right! Since we tend to stay at one location for long periods while camping ease of setup is not really an issue.

Htfiremedic
02-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Current stabilizer system made at home --On-The-Cheap :)

10ft of 1/2" conduit from Lowes ~$2
6 C-Clamps on sale at Harbor freight for a buck apiece.
a 8ft section of fence top rail I had laying around.

I cut the conduit into 2, 5ft sections, flattened the ends with a hammer and use them to brace the front stabilizer jacks on each side of the trailer to the frame. For each side, one clamp on the edge of the trailer frame, the other clamp to the bottom of the stabilizer jack.

For the rear, i used the fence top rail to brace between the edge of the trailer frame on the curb side to the bottom of the stabilizer jack on the street side, using a clamp on each end. I had purchased more 1/2" conduit for the rear but after testing, found it was not strong enough to completely stop the side-to-side shake. I might still get some 3/4" conduit to see if it does as well as the fence top rail.

For me, this started out as just as test to see how well a triangular bracing system would work to stop the trailer movement. I ended up being quite happy with the results and I had invested less that $10. The ease of setup and storage is not up there with the manufactured stabilizer systems but the price was right!

Can u post pictures of them?

B&T
02-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Can u post pictures of them?

Will take some pics this weekend and put them up.

B&T
02-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Pics added to post #19

Htfiremedic
02-24-2013, 12:05 PM
Pics added to post #19

Thanks!!! Looks easy and inexpensive!!!

Rusty
02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
The problem with that setup is my basement will be covered, so I would not have access to the frame rails.

Good idea though.

The setup I posted is drilled screwed and bolt permanently ala jt Strongarm system.