PDA

View Full Version : To all Canadians: Which brand of thermostat ...

Sillyme
06-02-2010, 03:31 AM
We live near Toronto and want to upgrade to a digital thermostat but the main thread we've come across so far on how to do it, suggests using a Hunter 4299B Digital Thermostat. Unfortunately, these are not available in Canada from what I've been able to determine.

So to all Canadians who have done this mod, which brand did you use and where did you get it?. We would truly appreciate your input and suggestions.
There are so many to choose from but not all of them give you enough details online to determine if they would be compatible. Has anyone found a 2 stage thermostat to control both fan speeds?

Your help is much appreciated! :)

deadeye
06-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Did you get the spec sheet on the Hunter unit? If you have the spec's on the unit, then go to a Home Depot or local heating supply store to find a similar unit.

hankpage
06-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Not sure if you have Ace Hardware up there, but I used one of their brand thermostats and added an external switch for cooling fan speed.
This is the model I used. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1273061&cp=2568453.2627949.1260927#showReviews But after reading the current reviews they must have changed something because mine works great.

bennydog
06-03-2010, 07:53 AM
I use the Honeywell one that I took out of the house. It's programmable so I can let the trailer cool down at night and the furnace will start running about 6:15 so when we climb out of bed it's toasty warm. Added the toggle switch for the 2 speeds of the A/C fan which most home system do not have. Seems to work fine. I have heard that the manufacture of your furnace and A/C can contribute as to if or how well an aftermarket control will work. Our furnace is a Suburban and the A/C is RVP. The RV.net forum has several threads on the topic.

Sillyme
06-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Thank you all for your replies and suggestions. My husband would prefer to get a 2 stage thermostat as he doesn't like the look of a toggle switch.
We do not have Ace Hardware here but we do have Home Depot and Lowes, to name a few. We do have the Hunter's specs so we can take that along.
We may do what Bennydog did, and use our current home unit which also happens to be a Honeywell, and it is also programmable which I prefer. My DH would rather have a non-programmable unit and get up when it's cold, then wait patiently for the temperature to slowly rise...Brrrrr...........!!!

We'll keep looking and we'll post later on our findings.

Thank you

Sylvie

Stargazer
06-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Any digital thermostat should work. I went to Rona and just bought a RONA branded one. The only issue I had was matching the colour of the wires to the correct function. If I had to do it again, I probably would have bought a Honeywell one from Superstore that had less programs.

Here's how I wired mine: http://virtualgarage.wikispaces.com/Programmable+Digital+Thermostat

floydsheating
07-05-2010, 10:45 PM
when i am not on the road i do heating and air conditioning work down here in Kentucky i HIGHLY recommend the Honeywell focus pro 5000 thermostat i have one in my RV and it is wonderful! contact a dealer near you to get one or look online! dont pay more than $75 for one but they have a five year warranty and have no "toggle" switches plus they are really fancy looking!