PDA

View Full Version : keeping critters out....

lspajm
02-09-2013, 07:13 AM
My RV dealer where we bought out travel trailer told me to put flea collars in the outside access to the refridgerator and water heater to keep bugs and rodents out -- does this really work?

Anyone have any better solutions for when your RV sits for months not being used (over the winter primarily).

Inside - i placed some glue traps with de-con in them in case anything gets inside -- anyone have good sughestions or ideas? thanks!

-Andy from South-Central Pennsylvania

hankpage
02-09-2013, 08:44 AM
If you do a forum search on this subject you will find many answers to your questions from Bay Leaves to drier sheets. The best advise is sealing all entry points. As for the Decon .... it is a BAIT and may actually draw rodents through unsealed entry points. Remove ALL food and clean well before storage and you should be okay. JM2¢, Hank

Bigsky3625
02-09-2013, 09:02 AM
If you do a forum search on this subject you will find many answers to your questions from Bay Leaves to drier sheets. The best advise is sealing all entry points. As for the Decon .... it is a BAIT and may actually draw rodents through unsealed entry points. Remove ALL food and clean well before storage and you should be okay. JM2¢, Hank

X2! Don't invite them in!!

davidjsimons
02-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I put some killer called Just One Bite in a piece of PVC pipe outside of the RV behind my garage. I agree, don't put bait inside the unit, it will draw them in. I put the poison in a piece of pipe to keep my dog from getting in to it. I then weighted the pipe down to keep the dog from moving it and removing the poison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FireMech
02-10-2013, 11:43 AM
This has worked for me so far...

1. Be sure the area you park is mowed down, clean, etc.
2. Clean the heck out of the interior- wipe everything down with cleaner
3. Seal off all entry points with steel wool, caulking, etc.
4. I use Bounce brand dryer sheets everywhere, and I mean everywhere, and add more every 2-3 weeks. I probably have 600 sheets in there right now...
5. I use the Ketch-All brand wind up mouse traps, no bait. 1 in the storage area and 1 near the kitchen
6. I don't use bait or moth balls because my dogs travel with me. If you have small kids I would advise not too either.

chuck&gail
02-10-2013, 07:33 PM
I've used flea collar pieces, say pieces 4" long each, for years to keep bugs out. It sure works for us.

As for mice, we use ultrasonics under the TT to keep critters out. Have since we been using hardsided TT's, over a dozen years. Even though we can watch birds and foxes catch mice in our front yard (yes we live rurally) we have never had a mouse in our TT.

bigracenut
02-12-2013, 08:11 AM
I place a few "sticky" traps inside the camper during winter, but have never caught anything...... i place moth balls under the camper and around the shed its parked under, and also spray a "water and bleach" mix around the outside of the camper and the camper shed....... no creachtures inside yet!

upstateny5er
02-13-2013, 06:45 AM
My RV dealer where we bought out travel trailer told me to put flea collars in the outside access to the refridgerator and water heater to keep bugs and rodents out -- does this really work?

Anyone have any better solutions for when your RV sits for months not being used (over the winter primarily).

Inside - i placed some glue traps with de-con in them in case anything gets inside -- anyone have good sughestions or ideas? thanks!

-Andy from South-Central Pennsylvania

sometimes dryer sheets work, plus smells good when you open up for season

haffcke
02-16-2013, 09:35 AM
have had trouble with mice for years, bated them, mouse traps, super cleaning, nothing worked unit parked inside, last year started putting mothballs exterior only under unit and dryer sheets all over inside, have not added any more dryer sheets yet and not a single mouse this year. :hpyclp:

chartrand
02-16-2013, 09:51 AM
have had trouble with mice for years, bated them, mouse traps, super cleaning, nothing worked unit parked inside, last year started putting mothballs exterior only under unit and dryer sheets all over inside, have not added any more dryer sheets yet and not a single mouse this year. :hpyclp:

Sweet!!! Sounds like a good plan..

lightning79
02-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I put in a ton of dryer sheets, so we'll see how that works. The man at a KOA told me that shredded Irish Spring soap works well. Interesting!