PDA

View Full Version : Weight Distribution Hitch

bpetroni
02-07-2013, 03:56 PM
When towing a trailer you have to subtract the tongue weight of the trailer from your payload capacity? Question, when using a Weight Distribution Hitch the system moves the tongue weight of the trailer exclussively off the tow vehicles axle to be shared with the trailer axles? When using the WDH wouldn't I not have to subtract the tongue wieght from my payload? (tx)

SteveC7010
02-07-2013, 06:49 PM
When towing a trailer you have to subtract the tongue weight of the trailer from your payload capacity? Question, when using a Weight Distribution Hitch the system moves the tongue weight of the trailer exclussively off the tow vehicles axle to be shared with the trailer axles? When using the WDH wouldn't I not have to subtract the tongue wieght from my payload?

The WD hitch moves weight forward to the front axle of the tow vehicle evening out the loading. Think of the two weight arms as the handles of a wheelbarrow. You lift on the arms and the weight is moved onto the front wheel. Same principle here.

You always have to calculate the full tongue weight as part of the total TV payload.

bpetroni
02-07-2013, 11:46 PM
The WD hitch moves weight forward to the front axle of the tow vehicle evening out the loading. Think of the two weight arms as the handles of a wheelbarrow. You lift on the arms and the weight is moved onto the front wheel. Same principle here.

You always have to calculate the full tongue weight as part of the total TV payload.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate the knowledge you guys give without being insulting to a towing newbie.........