PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of a dually

kimanderson98642
02-05-2013, 04:23 PM
What are all of the benefits of having a dually over a regular Ram 3500 when pulling a 5th wheel toy hauler. :confused:

davidjsimons
02-05-2013, 04:29 PM
More GCVW and increased stability.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mhs4771
02-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Many THers are very pin heavy, especially when not loaded with toys, and SRW TV just don't have the capacity to handle large the pin weights and still have the family in the cab and extra stuff in the bed. Plus those training wheels add a level of stability to the equation.

SAD
02-05-2013, 05:43 PM
1) roughly 3000 extra pounds of drive axle capacity

2) stability that doesn't compare to any single rear wheel truck

3) additional safety in a drive axle tire blowout situation

4) it simply looks billy-badazz :)

Ok... #4 is a preference. The rest are realized after you make the swap.

kimanderson98642
02-05-2013, 06:16 PM
Thanks, That helps in make a decision. (tx)

fla-gypsy
02-05-2013, 06:52 PM
Payload and stability

chain_dogg
02-05-2013, 06:59 PM
More GCVW and increased stability.

Payload and stability

X2.side to side sway and bounce went way down, and piece of mind. Blow out was always on my mind also

LittleJoe
02-07-2013, 07:36 AM
IF you ever tow with a dually over a good distance with inclement weather, you will never go back..

Yes parking and such can be a pain but no comparison in my opinion.

smiller
02-07-2013, 08:02 AM
The best thing about having a duallie is that you will no longer be endlessly lectured about how much you really need it.

BigCajun
02-07-2013, 11:50 AM
The best thing about having a duallie is that you will no longer be endlessly lectured about how much you really need it.

LMAO! Sounds like my friends!:cool:

davidjsimons
02-07-2013, 01:31 PM
The worst thing about a dually is wet grass if you have a two wheel drive. With no weight, it just sits on top and spins.

Loriv247
02-08-2013, 05:50 PM
The worst thing about a dually is wet grass if you have a two wheel drive. With no weight, it just sits on top and spins.

Would a 4WD eliminate the wheel spinning on wet grass/mud/sand issue? We too are still waffling between SRW and DRW.

FireMech
02-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Buy a dually - I wish I would have...

SAD
02-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Would a 4WD eliminate the wheel spinning on wet grass/mud/sand issue? We too are still waffling between SRW and DRW.

If you get a diesel, you need a 4wd.

In scenarios (wet grass, muddy lots, snowy streets) where a 2wd dually would certainly get stuck, I'd wager 95% of the time a SRW diesel would also get stuck.

It's the boat anchor of a motor over a non-drive axle combined with a light rear end over a slick surface which is the problem.... The unweighted drive tires pushing the heavy front is more of a problem than the 4 tires vs 2.

Htfiremedic
02-08-2013, 07:37 PM
My SRW gets stuck on wet grass in my yard in 2wd. Put it in 4 wd and ease on the skinny pedal. If it breaks loose.... Ya gotta start all over. Dang boost!

JRTJH
02-08-2013, 07:54 PM
My 93 F250 7.3L was 2WD. It got stuck looking at itself on a moist morning. I can't remember an afternoon rain in south Louisiana that didn't have me looking for someone to pull me out of the cane fields. That's why I bought the 99 F250 4X4. Much more control on wet roads. Finally, with that truck I could go quail hunting and not have to beg someone to take me home. Even a half inch of red clay would stop the 2WD version. Nice thing about the diesel 4X4 was the weight on the front end. Get it stuck or sliding on slippery stuff, as long as you stop, put it in 4WD, you can creep out of almost anything. My experience driving dually trucks is that they are even "slippery'er" than the SRW version. All my friends up here that have duallies are not real fond of driving them on snow covered or icy roads. They take the wife's car to town and leave the truck parked if possible.

Whether it's Louisiana "gumbo mud" or Michigan "icy slush" if you've got a dually or a 2WD diesel (really any pickup) be careful, the back end can become the front end real quick.

Maxzd
02-08-2013, 08:05 PM
What are all of the benefits of having a dually over a regular Ram 3500 when pulling a 5th wheel toy hauler. :confused:

Buying a dually best vehicle decision I have ever made. All the reasons mentioned so far plus being able to upgrade your trailer without any hesitation.

I have a 2003 dodge ram dually. 2003-2007 owned truck campers. 2008 bought a 27 foot tango travel trailer. 2011 bought a 5th wheel 325srx toy-hauler. Now I tow 9-12,000lbs. If and when I upgrade to a bigger toy-hauler this truck still has the ability without having to second guess. "bouncey:

Escs36
02-08-2013, 08:35 PM
I am only familiar with Oregon wet grass. One trip to Oregon and my peg leg 2WD diesel dually went to the shop for a limited slip unit. In my opinion, a posi traction rear end is ALMOST as good a 4WD with no limited slip. Most 4WD are actually 2WD while in 4WD because of no limited slip or lockers. I have had great luck since I made mine limited slip in moderate desert sand. My two wheel drive truck is truly two wheel drive now.

Dually is the only way to go without question! Parking sucks but the exercise is good for you. Drive thru's are hit and miss. I have been driving my dually for 11 years in Los Angeles.

davidjsimons
02-09-2013, 04:36 AM
There are some people who down a dually, mainly because they have never owned one and really worked the truck. If you are planning on doing a lot of heavy, long distance towing, buy it. You will never regret that decision. I did however keep my old 1990 Dodge Cummins powered 4X4 for real bad winter time driving, and trips to the fields during real wet and muddy conditions.