PDA

View Full Version : BBQ Quick Connect

x96mnn
01-31-2013, 06:07 PM
I love to camp and love to BBQ almost as much. At home I have a Weber Genius which I just call the beast and planed on buying a Weber Q grill when I bought my first camper 5 years ago. The original R-Vision bought came with a free stainless steal 12000BTU grill with quick connect RVQ grill which we used and did the trick but had a small cooking surface and our Sprinter came with a new BBQ grill as well that I used last season but 10000BTU and really does not cut it.

This summer using the BBQ that came with the Sprinter was upsetting me...hot spots, small cooking surface, took forever and was ugly. My camping pal bought a NEXGRILL from Costco and we used it over the summer and this thing amazed me. I have never seen a small BBQ cook like this, I mean it rivals my $1300 Weber Grill, (smaller scale).

http://reviews.costco.ca/2070-en_ca/10364207/nexgrill-nexgrill-portable-propane-grill-reviews/reviews.htm?sort=helpfulness

I went to Costco a few times looking for the grill but it was never there until yesterday in which I bought one for $119.00cdn. My only issue right now is I want to use the grill with the quick connect hose and it comes with a hose to hook to a standard propane tank. Does anybody know the part number for either the 1/4 quick connect valve that can screw into the BBQ that supports 20K BTU or a hose that can screw on to that connection and support the quick connect on the other end?

chartrand
01-31-2013, 06:46 PM
You will need to remove the regulator from the grill to use with. Quick connect on your RV as that I already regulated. Then what many do is put a quick connect adapter into a hose and use a hose clamp. You can probably use the hose and quick connect fro your old grill.

Pat

x96mnn
01-31-2013, 07:14 PM
I am going to try that but am concerned that the old BBQ is 10000 BTU and the new is 20000btu that the regulator from the old BBQ will cut the new one down to 10000 BTU as well.

Festus2
01-31-2013, 07:30 PM
If you do a forum search (type in Weber BBQ regulator), you should find numerous threads about this topic. Some have photos complete with parts needed to make the adaptation work.

The previous poster is correct in that you can't use both the Weber regulator and the regulator on your RV propane tanks. Remove the Weber regulator and take a look what others have done with respect to obtaining fittings and hookups to make the system work. It's a fairly simple fix once you have obtained the proper hoses and fittings.

Bob Landry
01-31-2013, 07:35 PM
The BTU output is determined by the size of the burner, orafice(s) and the air mixture not the regulator. Every regulator is going to reduce the high pressure propane down to 11" WC. I'm not aware of regulators that produce different pressures.

hankaye
01-31-2013, 08:47 PM
x96mnn, Howdy;

Followed your link, clicked on the photo of the unit,
got this;

Product Not Found
Product Not Found

The catalog entry number "1000125554" and part number "10364207" is not valid for the current contract.

Looks like it's not carried any longer.

hankaye

Bob Landry
02-01-2013, 05:04 AM
Here's what everything looks like all together.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_62778_0_7f20107e6889e090f6072b74ba752afb.jpg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_62778_1_a16d3b29ca357fe2906053de5ef2a1f3.jpg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_62778_2_7ab3b72ce8e54f437c241b88a035ea75.jpg

The big box stores should have all of the fittings and be able to put it together with the right parts. If not, the smaller specialty store can do it. Keystone uses QCs made by Fairview, so for the trailer end of the hose, I would recommend using that brand just to insure there's not a compatibility issue with parts. Some QC female connectors require the male plug that has an actuator on the end to open a check valve. Mr Heater also makes a set and I did find those on line that were available individually. Also as shown in my photos, you are going to want the male QC on the grill and the female on the hose. It's just going to be easier to manipulate if it's set up like that. Also, if I remember correctly, the threads where the regulator screw into the grill are 1/8" NPT, but take the regulator in with you to match everything up. It's really a very easy project.

x96mnn
02-01-2013, 05:49 AM
Hankeye

Try this link

http://www.costco.ca/Nexgrill-Portable-Propane-Grill.product.100030478.html

Bob,

Thanks so much for pulling that post together for me, really appreciate it!

Really cold here but waiting for any close to the + to try and set this up. I am going to have to make some mods to the Keystone BBQ hanger that swings off the back to make this BBQ work and will post when I am done.

jsmith948
02-01-2013, 06:00 AM
We have the Nexgrill - purchased at Costco - everything you need to connect to your trailer is available at a plumbing supply - all standard stuff. Found a fitting already made up at Lowe's. A little yellow tape and you'll be good to go:)

Terrydactile
02-01-2013, 07:59 AM
I am going to try that but am concerned that the old BBQ is 10000 BTU and the new is 20000btu that the regulator from the old BBQ will cut the new one down to 10000 BTU as well.

If you are going to use the quick connect on the trailer you have to get rid of the regulator that comes with the grill and you can not use the old one from the other grill. You can not use a regulator becasue the gas at that quick connector is already regulated. You must plumb the quick connect line straight to the grill.

x96mnn
02-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Completed this over the weekend.

Have not tried it out yet do to the snow but soon as there is a chance I will.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_63813_0_a806c2817878af43a79197a42ff8b14c.html? sort=3&o=0

Link to the bucket for some close ups.

http://s1265.beta.photobucket.com/user/x96mnn/library/RV%20BBQ

Bob Landry
02-12-2013, 09:08 AM
Here's some info that may help people doing future propane related mods. There are some compatibility issues regarding matching male and female quick disconnect components, and I have run into some of them.

My Outback 277RL came with a female QC on the curb side for the OD kitchen. The manufacturer used by Keystone as far as I can tell is Fairview, at least that's what's on my trailer and there are plenty of places on line that sell that brand.. Not wanting to deal with compatibility issues, I searched online and found an RV place that sold Fairview. I ordered the male fitting and installed it on one end of the hose. No problems and it's shown on one end of the propane hose I posted earlier. Here's where it can get to be a PITA. The female QC coupler on the other end of the hose is Hansen. It was a matched set as I needed something to match the input of my Weber grill to the hose. If the one grill was all I wanted to connect, the story would end here.
Enter a Camp Chef Weekender stove. Not wanting to have to carry two separate propane hoses, I want to put a male fitting on the new stove which is compatible with the existing people hose that will be compatible with the Hansen QC already in use. I go to the RV place and chat with the parts "guru". He told me that Mr. Heater makes a QC set, but that male ends of other makers are not compatible with it, that Mr. Heater uses proprietary fittings. Because of that, and based on similar feedback from customers, they started stocking another brand also, and I can't remember what it is. Regardless, he said it would be compatible with what I had, that this brand was compatible with the other brands, excluding Mr. Heater. Wrong. The fitting I purchased would not actuate the internal plunger in the female and allow gas to flow. I scrapped that and went online, found a Hansen male fitting, ordered it and I know it's going to work.

Bottom line is that although the male fittings are designated Low Pressure Type 250, they are not all compatible. The plunger in the female coupler is actuated by the very end of the male fitting, and and being off a very small amount on the dimension will cause it not to work. BTW, the two brands that I have determined by online research to be compatible with each other are Hansen and MB Sturgis. Anything else is chancy, and I would strongly advise to pick one brand of components and stick with it for all of your propane QC connections.

Also, I've read posts by people who claim to have used air compressor fittings for years with no issues. They are lucky. The male air fittings will not even come close to fitting a gas female coupler. so possibly someone has modified a male fitting to connect, that being even more dangerous. To use air components, both would have to be for air and they do leak, so don't risk a propane explosion trying to save a few bucks. Care in an intensive burn center is painful and not cheap. I've seen it first hand. There are places where you can cheap out doing a mod, but a project involving explosive materials is certainly not one of them.

Sorry about the lengthy post, but maybe it will save someone a little time, money, and gas hunting up parts.

As mentioned above, if you are ordering parts of the same manufacturer everything is going to work fine. If you are going to stop in the RV parts place for parts to do this, take the hose in with you. if you have done it correctly, the end that plugs into the trailer QC is already a male, and you know that already works. The other end is going to be a female, so what you are looking for is a male for whatever appliance you are adding to the mix. Unpack the male nipple, snap it into the QC and blow through it. You should be able to blow through the hose. if you can't, the nipple is incompatible with your QC so don't let the salesman tell you it will probably be OK without actually testing it. I didn't do that and I ended up eating an $11 nipple that I couldn't use. There is no problem ordering these components online, but itf you do, BE SURE they are of the same brand

x96mnn
02-12-2013, 09:21 AM
Bob,

Really glad you brought up the air hose fittings cause I too had gone down that path when looking for male adapters. The one I used is actually the connector direct from Key stone. It was a screw on fitting as part of the original Quick connect line that I used for this hose here but the RV supply store did have the exact same connection for sale around 8 bucks and stated it was fairly unique to Keystone campers. I know the cable I have from my original RV, (R-Vision), had a much smaller male connection.

Bob Landry
02-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Bob,

Really glad you brought up the air hose fittings cause I too had gone down that path when looking for male adapters. The one I used is actually the connector direct from Key stone. It was a screw on fitting as part of the original Quick connect line that I used for this hose here but the RV supply store did have the exact same connection for sale around 8 bucks and stated it was fairly unique to Keystone campers. I know the cable I have from my original RV, (R-Vision), had a much smaller male connection.

The low pressure fitting which we use for these applications are going to be available in either 1/4" or 3/8" NPT threads. They are all Type 250 and while the external dimensions are going to be the same and in doing a test fit, most will connect and stay in place. The issue we ran into involves the inside lip that's machined into the fitting and how it contacts(or doesn't contact) the plunger inside of the female coupler. The grill end of my hose wasn't an issue since I bought the matched set. Where a lot of people have an issue is when trying to match multiple appliances to one hose like I did. That's where you need to take some time and match components from the same manufacture.

Nebulatig
05-29-2013, 06:56 AM
Completed this over the weekend.

Have not tried it out yet do to the snow but soon as there is a chance I will.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_79904_0_a806c2817878af43a79197a42ff8b14c.html? sort=3&o=0

Link to the bucket for some close ups.

http://s1265.beta.photobucket.com/user/x96mnn/library/RV%20BBQ

First time caller...

I have exactly the same BBQ. I notice in the instructions it mentions not to connect to an RV. Not sure why.

How did this work out for you?