PDA

View Full Version : First time 5th wheel owner with suspension ?'s

H10F250
01-28-2013, 08:40 PM
We just bought a barely used Raptor 300MP and I tow it with an '06 F250 crew cab 4x4 short bed with a 4" lift. With the trailer empty its in a slight tail dragger attitude and squatting the truck a little. I want to put air bags on the truck to cure the squatting but that would make the tail draggin issue worse. I've seen the post on the 5" frame lift. What about the correct track system that lifts the trailer 2" and corrects any alignment issues? Thanks

crash
01-29-2013, 02:59 AM
Sorry cannt help you there ,I havent see a lift for a trailer before ,I will have to check into that one.Our raptor puts our f350 down 2 1/2 inch in rear so we installed firestone air ride system to it at it works great.

3P'sInACougar
01-29-2013, 04:46 AM
Well u can also adjust the height of the hitch in the bed of the truck so the trailer is no a tail drager. I had to do that when I moved up from my 87 scamper 5er to my 02 cougar fifth wheel. That is my suggestion. The hitch moves up an down in inches by the holes in the supports. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveC7010
01-29-2013, 06:08 AM
Well u can also adjust the height of the hitch in the bed of the truck so the trailer is no a tail drager. I had to do that when I moved up from my 87 scamper 5er to my 02 cougar fifth wheel. That is my suggestion. The hitch moves up an down in inches by the holes in the supports.

The problem with adjusting the fifth wheel hitch on a lifted truck is the reduced clearance between the nose of the trailer and the top of the truck bed. The more you lower the hitch the closer the gap between bed rail and trailer. At some point you will create a condition that guarantees that one will strike the other damaging both.

Air bags have a similar effect in lifted trucks as they further increase the angle between truck and trailer increasing the likelyhood that the bed will strike the trailer.

Lifting the trailer is a solution but each combination is a bit different and it's difficult to predict how well it will work.

SAABDOCTOR
01-29-2013, 07:52 AM
I'd have to agree with steve here. and lifting the trailer well let's see you make it more top heavy no to good in winds and curves. plus clearance under bridges :eek: i know the lfted truck looks great but may have to lower the truck :banghead:

mhs4771
01-29-2013, 08:42 AM
I don't think I'd be worried about raising the TH or lower the TV, but with a gross of 16.5K I'd be looking for a bigger TV to handle and control that TH.

dave-g
01-31-2013, 03:00 AM
I don't think I'd be worried about raising the TH or lower the TV, but with a gross of 16.5K I'd be looking for a bigger TV to handle and control that TH.

I think I would agree, I have a cougar 325srx that has an empty weight of 9300 lbs- and when loaded I max out my 250f.

now the only difference between a 250 and a 350 single rear wheel is the springs- so air bag may help the truck- but I think you are in the dual rear wheel area.

rusty rider
02-08-2013, 09:28 AM
Why not flip the axles on trailer and gain height on your tail dragging and bag the the Ford to take care of the squats... You will like the way it tows and no draggin on the high spots..

Did this on my Keystone Tailgator and 05 D Max....Its great all the way round now!!!! Adios Rich

IdahoSRT10
02-09-2013, 05:43 PM
Fliping the axle may be too much. Raise the RV with blocks, I have custom made pinned spring blocks for 3 trailers.

gman1966347
02-24-2013, 06:00 PM
I have an 2004 long bed Ford 6.0 4x4. My truck is stock height. I figured I would have issues if I raised it. So I left her alone.I used the Timbren SES rubber springs. My truck was squatting quit a bit, people were always flashing their head lights thinking that I had my brights on! I put on the Timbrens, and absolutely love them!! Easy to put on. You don't feel them unloaded. When you hitch up, it levels out your rig and rides great! Good luck! Here are a couple of links. One for the stock height, and one that might work for you. I think that they are a taller set up for raised trucks.
http://www.timbren.com/index.htm
http://www.timbren.com/aeon-triple-convolution-springs.htm
http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/FR250SDE.pdf