PDA

View Full Version : New Travel Trailer Purchase Advice

returnofsid
01-28-2013, 09:07 AM
After asking this question, on another forum, I was advised to join up here. After reading many threads here, over the past 2 days, I'm glad I did!!

I need some help, suggestions and advice please!

We own an UGLY 1979? Aloha 19' travel trailer and are looking to upgrade. The Aloha is our first, and only, travel trailer owned. We're new to TT camping, having done it for the past year, but have learned that we LOVE IT!! There's an RV show in town that we attend every year. In the past, it's always been just for fun, this time, we're seriously considering making a purchase. Having never purchased a new travel trailer, I figured I'd better seek some advice! We try to get out camping several times each year, all seasons. We have a 7 year old daughter and I have 3 adult children, each with a grandchild. Most of our trips, it'll just be the 3 of us but there are times that the adult kids/grandkids will join us. The adult kids tent camp if weather permits...lol

So, we're considering a 2013 Springdale 267BHSE. Here's the exact unit we're looking at, http://rnrrv.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=45_48&product_id=1348

We really like the floor plan and the show pricing is enticing, at approximately $19950.00.

A few questions I have...

1. It has "Spread Axels." What does this mean to me, while towing? How does this effect backing up?

2. When negotiating, what options or accessories can I try to negotiate, for free or a very reduced price? As examples: upgraded mattress, a cover, a television (this particular model does not include any tv), satellite (it's satellite "ready"), etc.?

I'd like to negotiate as many optional extras as I can but I don't even know where to begin!

3. How much "wiggle room" is in the price? I have absolutely no idea what kinds of profit margins are built into these things, so I have absolutely no idea how to even begin to negotiate price.

I'm sure there's a lot more questions I should be asking but can't think of them right now. SO, please feel free to add your own advice!

MISailor
01-28-2013, 09:50 AM
(this particular model does not include any tv), satellite (it's satellite "ready"), etc.?

I followed the link that you provided and I see on the list of interior equipment that LCD TV is listed. Flat screen TVs are pretty common standard equipment these days but they are often not yet installed in units on the dealers lot. Perhaps that's the case with the unit that you are looking at?

You may find the following site useful as a starting point for negotiating: http://www.seedealercost.com/recv
I don't know how accurate it is, but it lists MSRP for for a 2012 Springdale 267BHSSR (similar?) at $20,590 and an "Invoice" price of $16,472. You may need to add the price of some options to get an "accurate" estimate of the value of the specific TT you are looking at. FWIW, I used this type of information when I bought my TT and paid less than the stated invoice price.

Good luck!

chris199
01-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Just random negotiating tips:

Look at other TTs at other dealers that are "similar" to see that you are getting a great deal. Be sure you casually mention to ur dealer that you are seriously considering the competition. Had my dealer tell me the show prices aren't that much lower...if lower at all vs. What they would sell it for from their lot.

Remember: There is a lot of margin in these things.

Be willing to walk away....if they sense ur too anxious they will not negotiate. If they know you are serious....you want to buy now....and ur willing to buy elsewhere....they will negotiate.

Don't be afraid to low ball the price...w/out being ridiculous of course.

I would tell them the "issues" you have and ask them how they can be worked out...1.) Price of trailer...but you need to have a feel for the reasonable number you will accept 2.) Need a tv, etc. Don't put the cover in this list....save that for the last minute......

BTW...No TV at all seems odd to me.....

If you reach an impass and you want more concessions, ask for things they can provide for free (i.e., storage for x months or cover at their cost, etc.) I would not expect a free cover.....

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

chris199
01-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Also...may want to try Pete's RV for a competitive quote. Ask for a manager and tell them you are very serious...ready to buy and need their best price. Just checked their website and they have one listed.

I am not affiliated with them. I dealt with them on my recent TT purchase and their pricing seemed very competitive. Might be a way to see if ur price is special or fairly routine.

michael
01-28-2013, 10:05 AM
Look for comparable models online from other dealers that way you can compare apples to apples, also look at rv trader.com as far as what you need ? I prefer my rv to beable to keep kool my 29ft 2011 sprinter with a 13500 model had a hard time when the temps in the sun went above 90.
The rv i have now has 2 ac units and works well in the sun. 10 gallion water heater helps with larger groups when needed. The tire size and getting them replaced has been a talked about subject, We purchased a matterss from bedinabox.com about $975 for a queen.

If we were to buy another travel trailer my wants would be.
: 2 ac
:10 gal water heater
:over slide out awnings/ It helps reflect sun and keeps rv cool plus added rain protection.
:upgraded mattress be sure to buy whats comfy for you.
:2 / 30lbs propane tanks.
:2 slideouts bedroom and frontroom kitchen area.
Whats on my wish list might be overkill for your needs.

Good luck and keep the shopping fun.
shopping is learning what you want and dont want,
Its a buyers market dont let anyone pressure you to buy quick,
If that one your looking at sells there are 2 more like it or better down the street. Make a list of your wants and the extra costs and maybe when you sit down to deal you can get a discount on all the upgrades, or they may have a model on the lot with everything your already looking for at less expense.

davidjsimons
01-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Chris199: your advice is spot on. When I bought my unit, I was actually on the lot of another dealership getting ready to hook up to the same model and bring it home. That was all it took. The salesman from the other dealership called me and an all out bidding war broke out for my business. The prices fell so far that the dealers then began slashing interest rates. When it was all did and done, I felt as though I had made one Hell of a buy. I never look out my window at my TT and wonder could I have gotten a better deal. My father always said that the best time to buy was when you were not in need, don't be afraid to make a ridiculous offer, it may be the best offer they've had all day, and that no deal was ever too sweet to walk away from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chris199
01-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Regarding an upgraded mattress.....we were looking at upgrading to a sleep number bed. Prices for a regular queen were always in the $1200 range. Over the holidays Camping World had them for $699....what a deal! Bottom line: be patient and watch for the deals.....

kimrb266
02-20-2013, 09:14 PM
We purchased a 2013 Springdale trailer you are interested in. We have 3 children (2 @ 10 yrs & 1 @ 12yr old) and love the room we have. We have come from pop-ups & an expandable so this is an upgrade for us. It's heavier and taller than my husband is used to but we love the trailer.

We purchased ours fully loaded and paid around $20,000. The interior decor is dark and not to our to our liking but I'm making slipcovers to make it more our style. You can probably special order a trailer and get only the upgrades you want to keep price in line to your budget.

I hope this helps.