PDA

View Full Version : Jack Placement / Hitched or Not

Bigsky3625
01-24-2013, 08:35 PM
I am getting ready to lube the bearings (yes i am going to use the ez-lube fittings) and would like to know about jack placement and if I should have the trailer hitched to the truck.

I have searched the forums and found nothing. Looked at other sites and see where some recommend having the trailer hitched so as not to place all the stress on on leg.

I plan on lifting just enough to spin the wheel while adding grease. One wheel at a time.

So what do you more experienced folks have to say? Where do I place the jack? I am thinking on the frame close to the spring mount.

And should I hitch the trailer and raise the support legs so as not to stress the one on the opposite side?

Appreciate your help as always. This forum is a great place to get help.

Festus2
01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
This question about jack placement was just asked on the forum today (Questions on a Cougar 5ver) in another thread so you might want to check that post. You can use a jack and place it on the spring mounts as you suggested ( not on the axle!!) or you can drive up on a raised ramp with one rear tire leaving the one you want to service raised in the air. Just make sure the wheel on the ramp is chocked. The ramp can be made so that it has a "hollow" or low spot where the tire sits so that it doesn't roll back or forward.

I am not sure whether hitching the trailer and using the stabilizers is necessary so long as the trailer is stable and secure. You certainly do not want the trailer to move while you are working on it.

therink
01-25-2013, 03:54 AM
When jacking up my fiver to raise wheels, i always have it hitched to truck with E brake set. I use two bottle jacks and blocks of wood and place jacks on frame rails just fore and aft of the axles. As a safeguard, I also use jackstands next to the bottle jacks. Works well for me.