PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicle Tire ????

kfcflores
01-11-2013, 10:28 AM
I have a question about my TV tire. I am trying to decipher if it is a p or lt rated tire

TV is 2007 chevy tahoe ltz 2wd

Tires are Bridgestone Dueler H/L, 275/55 R20 M/S
say max load 2403 per at 40 max psi

I am hoping this are the better type tire for towing. I am going to be pulling a pretty big tt for this tv

thanks
kevin

JRTJH
01-11-2013, 12:56 PM
The tire you identify is a P Metric tire. It is NOT an LT tire.

Specs for it are here:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H/L+Alenza&partnum=755SR0HLALNZ

One of the easiest ways to identify a P Metric tire (if there is no P in front of the width), is the max inflation. Almost always a P Metric tire will have a max inflation pressure of 41 to 44 PSI.

LT tires have max inflation pressures according to the number of rating plys"

LR C (6 plys) usually rated at 50 PSI
LR D (8 plys) usually rated at 65 PSI
LR E (10 ply) usually rated at 80 PSI

mhs4771
01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
What do you mean by "Pretty large TT"? If you are truely looking at something Big, you will most likely have other problems beside the tires. You have an oversized Blazer, not much of a towing machine for other than Pop-ups and small hybred TTs. If I'm off base it's probably because when I think Big, I think of something like our 40' 17K Lb 5er.

Laredo291OH
01-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Hi kfcflores,

I have seen your other post about tongue weight also. I'll give you my experience of towing with a 2009 4x4 Tahoe (actually Yukon, same difference). We bought a 30' long Laredo 291TG, a 1/2 ton towable camper that is listed at about 6500 lbs dry with a GVW of 8200 lbs, which just so happens to be the tow limit of my wifes Yukon. From the start I had sway. After switching tires from the P series at 30 lbs that came from the factory to LT tires with 60 lbs (max for the aluminum rims on the Yukon) and going with the Reese Dual Cam I still couldn't get rid of the sway. I'm talking sway you could see in the mirrors and at times would almost make you change lanes. Not a fun way to drive. After a year of that, I bought a 2010 GMC 2500 HD. Let me say, what a difference. Same trailer, same weight, same hitch, absolutely no sway. Towed from Ohio to Disney in Florida last year, 2000 mile round trip with no issues. I would have needed a straight jacket trying to tow thru Atlanta with that Yukon. Maybe I wasn't good enough to setup the hitch right, maybe a Hensley would have helped, but there is no replacement for truck. Kind of like the old saying, there is no replacement for displacement. Maybe it's a tolerance thing also, shortly after getting my 2500HD I followed, for a short time, a Tahoe pulling a trailer about the size of mine, swaying all over the road and the guy driving didn't seem to care at all. Sorry for the long post, but thought you should know.