PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a security "boot" for their Trailer?

chris199
01-09-2013, 10:10 AM
Had a friend at work sya he was buying a police dept like boot for his popup. He parks it in his driveway and is worried about someone rolling by and running away with his unit. Evidently, they can just clamp on to the rig's frame and drive away....they don't use the ball so even having a Hensley (special stinger needed) doesn't prevent theft.

Had not even thought abou this but my TT is usually in my driveway most of the summer. Would be easy to take it almost any time.

Anyone deal with theft issues? Security concerns..use a boot?

hankaye
01-09-2013, 10:39 AM
chris199, Howdy;

You could do like they do at construction sites and remove a
wheel or 2, or run a chain (3/8ths inch min. dia.), thru the spokes
of both wheels and use a heavy duty padlock.. Place the padlock
on the 'inside'. Harder to use Bolt cutters in the confined space.

hankaye

JRTJH
01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
A chain and padlock would be my suggestion also. Or one of the newer MasterLock Python locks. It's a vinyl coated cable (won't scratch the wheels), 8' long and can be found online. It has a built in MasterLock. Slip the cable through the holes on one wheel and then through the other, run the cable through the lock and you're done. It probably won't stop a "determined professional thief" but then realistically, what would? Cost, about $20 at Amazon.com.

dandjh1958
01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/930-174

My husband has a Thunder Mountain Chopper that people like to try to steal so he uses a Xena Ultra High Security lock that has a motion sensor and is REALLY loud. When we put the popup in the drive way, we found a hole in the popup frame that we can hook this lock. If the popup is jiggled at all, the alarm sounds!
But also we have full insurance on all our toys so if they get stolen, we get more toys "bouncey:

Festus2
01-09-2013, 06:55 PM
If you are going to buy chain, I would suggest buying a length of #70 Grade (or higher). It isn't cheap but if you buy "heavy duty" chain that is less than 70 grade, it is fairly easy to cut through with good pair of "heavy duty" bolt cutters. And don't think the bad guys are lacking in good-quality bolt cutters!
This chain isn't plastic coated but it works.

Same with the lock. This is probably the weakest "link in the chain". Often, people will buy a fairly decent, heavy chain and put a $5 padlock on it. Thieves love these cheap locks! A good padlock can also be purchased that bolt cutters will not be able to cut. Again, these locks are not cheap ($25 and up) but they will do the job.

hankaye
01-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Howdy All;

The Grade 70 chains that Festus2 mentioned are what I'd use
and you can always find something to slip over the chain to protect the finish/paint on the rims...

hankaye

35mastr
01-10-2013, 08:11 AM
I can see all the concerns of a trailer being stolen. But they will likley break into the unit and take what they can before driving away with it.

I have plenty of insurance,So I am not that concerned about someone actually driving it away.

Ken / Claudia
01-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I won't say it won't get stolen but, very few are nation wide. I worked auto theft full time for 6 years in PDX, read the sats. every so often. The meth heads break into RVs and steal everything inside them. Boats get stolen for the engines etc. My boat engine was nearly 18,000 several years ago. I have a lock on the hitch. If I had investigated a RV theft (trailer/5er) I would really look for signs of insurence freud as much as a real theft.

Scottinvt
01-11-2013, 03:48 AM
Hitch locks work well too. If they want it bad enough they will get it anyway.