PDA

View Full Version : Is there a such thing as too much truck?

davidjsimons
01-08-2013, 01:40 PM
In my humble estimation, no. Having grown up around trucks and heavy equipment, I've towed all kinds of loads of various weights and sizes. But nothing ever prepared me for towing a travel trailer. What I mean to say is that I've never towed anything as large that was so light. I had asked about the need of a weight distribution hitch and sway bar while using my Ram 3500. I was told by many on this page absolutely yes. I didn't really understand at first and frankly, did not agree but figured that I would go ahead and use it because I bought it with the new travel trailer. After all, I was accustomed to towing loads well in excess of 30,000 lbs and this was just a 6,500 lb travel trailer. Well, on my recent trip from Richmond, Virginia to the Florida Keys, I encountered about eight hours of stiff cross winds and powerful gusts. I would look in the mirror, and from time to time see my trailer moving a quarter of a lane to the side behind me. Am I glad that I had maximum overkill on my tow vehicle? Absolutely! There were a few instances were I reached down and applied a little pressure to the brake control box just to settle things down a bit. I only raise this issue in response to some people's questions about borderline pickups and mid size SUV's. while all of this movement was going on behind me, the truck never moved, not once! Eight hours of this in a borderline adequate vehicle would have made a great trip pure Hell. This is just my own humble opinion based on my own personal experience. To each his own. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/09/memyqu3y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/09/re5umu6e.jpg
On a windy day, the load pictured first tracks better. Lol!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2011 keystone
01-08-2013, 02:45 PM
I completly agree 100% well said.

justlkn
01-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I have a 3500 CC dually long bed...hmmmm. let me think...nope! Can never have too much truck!!

PerryB
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Yeah, but I bet in a stiff wind, the trailer in the first picture smells worse!! Thats quite a poo-shooter you got there (or is that used as a silage spreader?).

davidjsimons
01-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Stay up wind.

2011 keystone
01-08-2013, 06:41 PM
:surprise::rofl: LOL

f6bits
01-08-2013, 06:49 PM
That goes to show that no matter how much truck you have, good sway control is a must. I'd freak out if my trailer was drifting in the next lane.

Ron
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I completly agree 100% well said.
X2 I also have pulled large trailers all my life and always go over kill mainly for safety reasons, I like alot of stopping power if needed.........

davidjsimons
01-09-2013, 01:35 AM
That goes to show that no matter how much truck you have, good sway control is a must. I'd freak out if my trailer was drifting in the next lane.

That was one of the points I was trying to illustrate. On a calm day, it's not a problem, but get caught without it and it could be a rough ride. I have an old saying in regards to big game offshore fishing. It is better to be on shore wishing you were out there, than to be out there wishing you were on shore.

Georgia Rambler
01-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Amen!!! Id rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!

davidjsimons
01-09-2013, 11:24 AM
The date of the referenced trip was December 26. People across North and South Carolina most likely remember the weather system that went through. There were Tornado warnings from Rocky Mount to Florence. The biggest gust of wind to hit me was crossing the Savannah River Bridge along 95. That was the shot that moved my trailer about a 1/4 of a lane.

audio1der
01-10-2013, 10:55 PM
I'd love to agree, but our wallet and the other 340 days a year don't allow for it. Our second vehicle (the TV) is more of a kid to school hauler, and going to a 2500/3500SRW just didn't make sense.
Might have to put a new set if tires on before she hits 10,000 and even ditch the Reese setup w/dual cams for a Hensley, but it HAS to do, and I'll pull over before I put us in danger if need be.

Love all the stories, just thought I'd post from the mortgaged and small kids side :o

davidjsimons
01-11-2013, 01:40 AM
I'd love to agree, but our wallet and the other 340 days a year don't allow for it. Our second vehicle (the TV) is more of a kid to school hauler, and going to a 2500/3500SRW just didn't make sense.
Might have to put a new set if tires on before she hits 10,000 and even ditch the Reese setup w/dual cams for a Hensley, but it HAS to do, and I'll pull over before I put us in danger if need be.

Love all the stories, just thought I'd post from the mortgaged and small kids side :o

I completely understand your point of view. At least you recognize it. In my specific case, my profession dictated the need for the truck. It is my daily driver. Buying a TT was a complete after thought.

audio1der
01-11-2013, 06:24 AM
I completely understand your point of view. At least you recognize it. In my specific case, my profession dictated the need for the truck. It is my daily driver. Buying a TT was a complete after thought.

Fully. A 2500, even with a Hemi would have been nice but the added height and rough ride were tough to swallow. Headroom (as in more than you need) is ALWAYS a good thing.

Brantlaker
01-11-2013, 07:25 AM
There is never enough truck when towing.As long as you take all of your needs and balancing your finances into consideration. To quote Dirty Harry Callahan "You got to know your limitations". So when your Stomach starts to tighten up and your hands get tighter on the wheel pull over please.

Escs36
01-20-2013, 05:18 PM
I once bought a 40' Heartland Cyclone and thought by diesel powered dual rear one ton truck would pull it just fine. It pulled it great but the truck was 100% dependent on the trailer brakes to stop. After the first short trip I bought a F550 with air ride. Too much truck is only way to go. In all honesty, the F550 was great but an F650 would be the smartest option. I cannot believe people pull 40' toy haulers with their 1 ton single rear trucks. Sometimes the guys even have them lifted with over size tires. I think they are out of their minds and I stay way the heck away from them. The biggest problem with being on the road is the unknown. The world is full of stupid, drunk and/or ignorant people. You can never predict what will happen and too much truck can possibly get someone out of a really nasty situation inflicted by somebody else. RV'ing is supposed to be fun and not dangerous.

wharding02
01-29-2013, 01:04 PM
my 6cil Xterra went from 20mpg to around 8mpg when I picked up my 238ML. Would a V-8 also suffer such an extreme reduction in gas milleage?

davidjsimons
01-29-2013, 02:01 PM
my 6cil Xterra went from 20mpg to around 8mpg when I picked up my 238ML. Would a V-8 also suffer such an extreme reduction in gas milleage?

Perhaps, perhaps not, the bigger question is the stress and strain on the rest of the truck as it applies to one complete unit. Straight line pulling power is rarely a problem on tow vehicles anymore. From a power perspective, there are many capable options on the market these days. What you really have to consider are braking abilities, axle ratings and payload capacities. My father always said that the throttle could get out of as much trouble as it could get you into if you knew how to handle a car. Well, the same can almost be said for being a bit on the large side with your truck. Stopping concerns are greatly diminished as well as many of the sway issues that many discuss on this forum. Of course, not everybody can justify a 1Ton DRW truck for daily transportation. But what you really must weigh into your consideration is the safety of yourself and your passengers. How much fun is a six hour drive if you have to watch the rear view mirror constantly for semi trucks and remind yourself that you need to lift the throttle so they don't blow you out of the road? One of two scenarios need to play out, either buy a trailer to best fit your needs and your tow vehicle or get the truck that can handle the trailer, that you wish to purchase, safely.

smiller
01-30-2013, 03:39 AM
I guess the way I would look at it is if your trailer is being blown 1/4 lane out of alignment it's time to get off the road no matter 'how much truck' you have.

davidjsimons
01-30-2013, 05:25 AM
It's all about your comfort level. Any less truck and I would have had to pull over. How do you think a half ton truck would have handled the situation? There are those that will tell you that You don't need this much truck. I only site my example to point out better to have and not need. Perhaps I don't have enough sense for my knuckles to have turned white, but I never sensed any lack of control of my rig. As I stated, the truck never moved and I was able to apply brake pressure to the trailer through the brake controller to put the trailer back in line.

smiller
01-30-2013, 05:39 AM
A half-ton truck would have been bad and a Toyota Corolla would have been even worse but that's entirely beside the point. Big rigs get blown over under those kinds of conditions so I'm not sure your two extra tires somehow makes you invulnerable, but if it's all about comfort level then I guess you'll be OK.

davidjsimons
01-30-2013, 01:32 PM
I don't think that you get my point in regards to comfort. I know what I'm feeling in the seat of my truck and through the wheel. I trust my judgement better than anybody else's. I know that may sound arrogant but that is just the reality of it. And yes, a broader stance across the rear end of the truck makes a world of difference. If it didn't matter, they wouldn't build them and folks wouldn't buy them. I didn't just buy it because I thought that perhaps it looked cool and that I found some type of enjoyment out of buying six tires instead of four. I understand that big rigs get blown over as well, I happen to own a couple of Kenworths myself. The understanding of that concept is not lost.

Escs36
02-03-2013, 10:19 PM
I bought my dually exclusively for safety while hauling. It makes a profound difference. Is it in my head: I highly doubt it. Commercial vehicles are dual rears for a reason. Even the "super single" big rigs still have the widest stance possible. Look at trophy trucks.

It takes energy to pull weight. All engines suffer significant mileage loss while pulling. Diesels are slightly less worse than a gas engine. My truck drops mileage 50% if I pull aggressively and about 40% if cruising around while pulling at maximum GCWR. A gasser in the same situation may drop by a slightly bigger percentage but the gasser already gets worse mileage to begin with. Commercial vehicles are diesel for a reason. A 14L big rig will get 5 mpg at 80,000#. What would a gasser get? my assumption would be .5 mpg!

crash
02-04-2013, 03:20 AM
I bought my dually just for towing too,much more stable pulling the heavy 5th wheel .Even when we had a TT it pulled great and I didnt even have to use a weight dist. hitch like I did before I got the dually .JM2C.

ROLIN JOSEPH
12-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Here is a video that fits right in with this thread, for those of us that have not seen it yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI

LABSRUS
12-05-2013, 09:45 AM
Great post! :)

And we will NOT be pulling our 8,000 lb.+ new trailer with our little 1/2 ton pickup up - uh uh - no way!

bmach
12-05-2013, 10:30 AM
So by your account you need your truck to tow a pop up? Whether you admit it or not you were not safe either!!! If your trailer being blown a1/4 of a lane then it could have hit anything driving in the other lanes. How does that make you safer with your trailer taking up more than one lane? Get off the road and let others be safe

davidjsimons
12-05-2013, 01:56 PM
No, I don't think that is anywhere remotely what I said. My point was that the severe winds would have been far worse if I hadn't had a larger truck. I'm sorry if you disagree and at this point, it really doesn't matter. Obviously, you are happy with your truck and comfortable in your opinion, as am I.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

jje1960
12-05-2013, 01:59 PM
I love having to much truck!

RGene7001
12-06-2013, 06:15 AM
Here is a video that fits right in with this thread, for those of us that have not seen it yet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwOqARlw1EI

The video shows exactly that the truck (DRW by the way) has little to do with this roll over, in fact it remained wheels down, not up in the end. Huge trailer will always be vulnerable to such strong winds; the best thingis to stay home if conditions are so bad. Would fifth wheel behave differently? I don't know. Even 18 wheeler can get blown off the road of the wind is strong enough.

Trent McCain
12-06-2013, 10:13 AM
We pull with an F350 SRW and I see no need for a dually with our current coach. Would it be nice...yes, more stable towing...yes, but not a requirement with our loaded weight. I'm sure there are those that think we are over-kill with our rig, esp since it only gets 5K mi. a year on it with less the 2K pulling the coach. We are seasonal campers at best. My thoughts have always been if you need (or want) a dually...get a dually. I own/operate a fleet of Kenworths too.....and I don't care "how much truck" you have, there are going to be days when it's unsafe for anyone. We've had many times, where we shut them down early because of the wind. It's not worth the risk of getting someone hurt or equipment blown over in the ditch.....the key is realizing your limitations, and shut down when it's unsafe.

Trent

davidjsimons
12-06-2013, 03:43 PM
The thread was titled questioned could you have too much truck. The answer is no. Do you absolutely need more truck? The answer to that is also no. So long as the truck meets the load capacities, you have enough truck, but simply having enough does not mean that more can't be better. I don't need my truck for my camper. I was lucky enough to already have the need for that truck and it is also my daily driver. I can appreciate your not having the need for a bigger truck. However, my experience in the past has told me that if a piece of equipment is not taxed to its capacities, you will most likely get many more miles of service from that piece of equipment. Everybody has an opinion on this matter and not all of us will agree. I put more than 5,000 miles per year on my truck and most likely demand a bit more from it. Enjoy your truck, as I do enjoy mine very much as well.
As to not leaving home in bad weather, that is good advice, the problem is being caught in it. That was the particular at hand that I was referencing. Thirty mile per hour winds are not impassable for my truck and trailer combination. What turned into the larger issue for me were powerful wind gust on a high bridge. There wasn't really any places to stop in that situation. At that point I reduced my speed and worked my electric brake box for the trailer to keep it in my lane behind me. Obviously I did something correctly, I made it off of that bridge and kept all ten wheels on the ground.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

Trent McCain
12-06-2013, 05:52 PM
With all due respect sir, I feel the same way as you can never have too much as well....otherwise I'd have kept my F150. But I also find it interesting the number of people on RV sites that insist a dually is the only way to go. Sure it is if you want the stability, or need the capacity. It no doubt increased your safety in the conditions you encountered. We are fortunate that our trucking operations are local....we usually know what the weather/wind is going to do before they ever leave. So in the unfortunate situation that it changes unexpectedly (and this has happened) we are never too far from the house, or people we know. If we know it's going to be a bad day....they are parked. Anyways, I didn't want anyone taking offense to my post. Trent

abneynormal
12-06-2013, 06:03 PM
if my trailer brakes fail or come unplugged I can still stop mine. if its a really steep mountain I don't have to drop out of high range. so no you can never have too big a truck. my rig is 65 feet long a friend of mine has a stretched pete and is 75 feet long. both th are 40 footers.

davidjsimons
12-06-2013, 06:05 PM
None taken. People need to give people the benefit of context in their post. I didn't take any offense to your comment. When I encountered that situation that I described, I was 500 miles from home, and the weather indeed had taken a real bad turn. That wind gust was the hardest broadside hit I've ever felt while towing a trailer. It made me sit up in the seat and take notice. I was happy to be off of that bridge.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

ROLIN JOSEPH
12-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Let me 'throw in' another video to this thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLE1nn0P9AI
In this video, note that the much smaller tow vehicle landed on its roof.
Bigger may be better sometimes.
Of course there are many more variables from the previous video, but as many of you have said; "Be aware of your limitations" and "Bigger is better, but definitely not invincible"

Randy_K
12-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Since we are doing video links....

Here you will find that smaller cars often tow better and safer then a lot of the big trucks. Real world tests for those who think that bigger is better. Food for thought at the least.

http://www.canamrv.ca/towing/

Festus2
12-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Since we are doing video links....

Here you will find that smaller cars often tow better and safer then a lot of the big trucks. Real world tests for those who think that bigger is better. Food for thought at the least.

http://www.canamrv.ca/towing/

Mmmmmmmm After watching these videos I am wondering just what these "real world tests" actually showed. Perhaps I missed something but I was not left with the finding that "smaller cars often tow better and safer than a lot of the big trucks".

These videos did nothing to convince me that I should think about trading in my 2500 GMC Duramax diesel for a Mini.

While bigger may not be necessary better, I will stick with my truck thank you.

Exactly what findings did you see that led you to stating that "smaller cars often tow better and safer than a lot of the big trucks"??

RGene7001
12-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Mmmmmmmm After watching these videos I am wondering just what these "real world tests" actually showed. Perhaps I missed something but I was not left with the finding that "smaller cars often tow better and safer than a lot of the big trucks".

These videos did nothing to convince me that I should think about trading in my 2500 GMC Duramax diesel for a Mini.

While bigger may not be necessary better, I will stick with my truck thank you.

Exactly what findings did you see that led you to stating that "smaller cars often tow better and safer than a lot of the big trucks"??

Well, this tests show that non pickup truck vehicles can handle carefully matched trailer on quite high speeds and debunk the myth that only big and heavy truck can deliver safety during emergency maneuver. There is one video showing pickup towing fifth wheel, and it is not doing the job any better, but it is not bad either. Todays cars and unibody suvs are much heavier and stronger than ever before, in order to meet crash tests requirement, as well as for quietness and comfort on the road, powertrains pack more power than even the fastest driver will ever need. What's more important, they demonstrate what the art of matching and hitching the trailer can do, when taken to the max.
Braking tests were done as well and the results are very similar.
Braking+handling+ proven crashworthiness of the cars=SAFETY
While these tests are not completely objective, Canam had established record over the decades and A+ BBB rating.
Few people will sell their pickups and fivers because of Canam, but new people coming to rving will understand the options and choices they have in order to do so, without breaking their bank accounts and living with vehicles they don't really need our like