PDA

View Full Version : Fuzion spare tire loosened itself

Htfiremedic
01-06-2013, 07:57 PM
I got home from a trip and was loosening the low point drains. I noticed that when I bumped the spare tire, it was loose.
I know that before the trip, it was not loose. Is there a way to secure the tire and lock the mechanism?

SteveC7010
01-07-2013, 02:31 AM
I got home from a trip and was loosening the low point drains. I noticed that when I bumped the spare tire, it was loose.
I know that before the trip, it was not loose. Is there a way to secure the tire and lock the mechanism?

Drill the bolt and insert a hair pin cotter - same thing that secures the pins for a fifth wheel. That will keep the nut from coming off. Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, maybe even your local auto parts or hardware store will all have them. It may still loosen up periodically so it's checking between trips, but you won't loose the nut, wheel, and tire.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_60193_0_1cc2eca661233ba7f1e4e971b0b86ada.jpg

Or add a split lock washer and a second nut.

crash
01-07-2013, 04:14 AM
Never thought about that ,I need to check mine.Thanks

therink
01-07-2013, 05:57 AM
I took mine off the first day I had the trailer. It was loose when I drove it home from the dealer. I throw the tire in the back of the truck when I hook up.
Steve

SteveC7010
01-07-2013, 06:01 AM
I took mine off the first day I had the trailer. It was loose when I drove it home from the dealer. I throw the tire in the back of the truck when I hook up.

Mine took a while to loosen up, but I ended up removing it as well. The 200# weight limit on the rear bumper has always bothered me with the slide-out rack. The bigger trailer tires are very heavy and use up a lot of that 200#. I'd rather feel a lot more secure about carrying our bicycles back there without that spare bobbing up and down.